Author Topic: Growing From Seed  (Read 1126 times)

will2358

• USA, Peachtree City, GA, zone 8a
    • View Profile
Growing From Seed
« on: July 09, 2019, 12:26:20 PM »
I started some fruit from seed a few weeks ago. In the beginning I avoided starting from seed because I thought I was too old (61) to start and wait for fruit. I found out it may not take as long as I thought so I started some seed. How many of you have grown your fruit producing trees from seed and how long did it take?
Sunkist lemon seed

Pink grapefruit seed

Unk I forgot to tag

Lisbon lemon cuttings

My name is Cindy

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Growing From Seed
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 01:16:02 PM »
Great on those cuttings and the seeding.  My tangerine tree is from seed, it took 5-6 years to flowers.  The first year of flowering were only few fruits, 2rd year was doing a lot better.  The fruit are more tasty than the one I bought from the market. 

will2358

• USA, Peachtree City, GA, zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 02:46:39 PM »
My tangerine tree is from seed, it took 5-6 years to flowers.  The first year of flowering were only few fruits, 2rd year was doing a lot better.  The fruit are more tasty than the one I bought from the market.
5-6 years is great. I don't need tons of fruit. Just enough to share with family.
Does anyone have any hardy citrus seed you can share?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 03:54:17 PM by will2358 »
My name is Cindy

Walt

• USA, Kansas, Kanopolis, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 04:06:27 PM »
I was 63 when I started a citrus breeding program.  I'm 69 now. Still starting lots of plants from seeds.  I'll stop when I die.
If you live to be as old as my mother lived, you have 38 more years.  Plenty of time to grow citrus from seeds.
But at 61, it wouldn't hurt to have a few older plants around in case you want some to eat now.