Author Topic: Pomelo in general  (Read 8859 times)

gaberec

• Italy (west coast of Sicily) Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Pomelo in general
« on: February 07, 2016, 04:10:11 AM »
Hello,
I have pomelo chandler but the taste is so and so, according to you valentine, oroblanco, honey, tahitian, siamese sweet are better?
Where is possible to buy online varieties of pumelo?
Which pomelo are in sout california/mexico ?

thanks

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
Re: Pomelo in general
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 12:28:20 PM »
IMPORTING CITRUS IN EU UNION IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED, unless you are going to import seeds.
There are many diseases involving citrus, you aren't going to want to import citrus plants in EU from North america, never, ever. Especially if you live in Sicily!!!
Also, in europe you can find all the verieties you need. Everything you listed is available in europe!!!
Please read about citrus greening before thinking about importing citrus in europe!
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 03:28:03 AM »
I bought a bag of organic, red-fleshed(!) pomelos at a BJ's Club about a week ago, and I must have got them at their peak 'cause everything about them was just dreamy perfect, the taste, texture, the orange exterior appearance and fruit quality was like: wow! I didn't know fruit like this existed; Or, I think the last time I had citrus this good was when I was a little kid; Everyone that's tried them says the same thing. When citrus is this good, I put it right up there with mango and lychee.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 07:58:56 AM »
What a great citrus tree(and you will rarely hear me say that about citrus). While mine still has fruit ripening(within a couple weeks) and thus I haven't tried it yet, this tree is a vigorous grower, ignores relative cold(we hit low 30s) and CLM and other pests seem to ignore it. It also doesn't seem to discolor in the winter like many other citrus. It should do well for you in Italy/Sicily if you find one.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 08:14:26 AM »
What a great citrus tree(and you will rarely hear me say that about citrus). While mine still has fruit ripening(within a couple weeks) and thus I haven't tried it yet, this tree is a vigorous grower, ignores relative cold(we hit low 30s) and CLM and other pests seem to ignore it. It also doesn't seem to discolor in the winter like many other citrus. It should do well for you in Italy/Sicily if you find one.

Never seen it be "immune" from visits and damage by CLM.
- Rob

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 12:59:50 PM »
It is in my yard. Maybe it leaf texture or whatever. While every other citrus tree looks like crap from CLM no matter what I do, my Pomelo looks great.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 08:41:38 PM »
Pummelo does seem hardier to diseases and pests than many other citrus. One reason is it doesn't flush multiple time in the year like lemon. Maybe leaf miners prefer mandarins to it in my yard too. It's not immune though. Small plants can still get heavy damage until it's established.

I recall millet saying leaf miners don't attack the first flush of the year. Maybe that's why pummelos don't show much damage.

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 09:44:54 PM »
I can confirm that miners don't attack the first flush. But i have always assumed that the reason was, they were very reduced in numbers because winter cold.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 05:15:15 AM »
Hello,
I have pomelo chandler but the taste is so and so, according to you valentine, oroblanco, honey, tahitian, siamese sweet are better?

thanks

If you lives in Italy and you are looking for wide range of citrus cultivars, not only those commercial varieties, the best choice is Oscar Tintori nursery from Pescia. http://www.oscartintori.it/
btw: here is their sortiment of pomelo cultivars:
34 C. grandis pummelo o Schaddock Malesia - Indonesia
34 A C. grandis x C. paradisi "Piriforme" pummelo o Schaddock piriforme
34 A1 C. grandis x C. paradisi "Sweetie" pummelo sweetie - Israele
34 B C. grandis "a frutto rosa" pummelo o Schaddock a frutto rosa
34 C C. grandis "Burm. Mer." pummelo burm. Mer.
34 D C. grandis "Chandler"
34 E C. grandis "Marsh" pummelo marsh
34 F C. grandis "rosso d'Ischia" pummelo rosso d'Ischia
34 G C. grandis "rosso di Sarzana" pummelo rosso di Sarzana
34 H C. grandis "Shambar" pummelo shambar
34 I C. grandis "Kao Pan" pummelo kao pan precoce polta gialla Thailandia
34 L C. grandis "Webber" pummelo webber
34 M C. maxima "Goliath" pummelo goliath precoce, apireno, polpa gialla Israele
34 N C. grandis "Hirado Buntan" pummelo Hirado Buntan

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 02:48:47 PM »
Hello,

thanks

If you lives in Italy and you are looking for wide range of citrus cultivars, not only those commercial varieties, the best choice is Oscar Tintori nursery from Pescia. http://www.oscartintori.it/
btw: here is their sortiment of pomelo cultivars:
34 C. grandis pummelo o Schaddock Malesia - Indonesia
34 A C. grandis x C. paradisi "Piriforme" pummelo o Schaddock piriforme
34 A1 C. grandis x C. paradisi "Sweetie" pummelo sweetie - Israele
34 B C. grandis "a frutto rosa" pummelo o Schaddock a frutto rosa
34 C C. grandis "Burm. Mer." pummelo burm. Mer.
34 D C. grandis "Chandler"
34 E C. grandis "Marsh" pummelo marsh
34 F C. grandis "rosso d'Ischia" pummelo rosso d'Ischia
34 G C. grandis "rosso di Sarzana" pummelo rosso di Sarzana
34 H C. grandis "Shambar" pummelo shambar
34 I C. grandis "Kao Pan" pummelo kao pan precoce polta gialla Thailandia
34 L C. grandis "Webber" pummelo webber
34 M C. maxima "Goliath" pummelo goliath precoce, apireno, polpa gialla Israele
34 N C. grandis "Hirado Buntan" pummelo Hirado Buntan
Hi! Anyone knows wich two varieties of this list are the best? Thank's!

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 06:18:26 PM »
Hirado Buntan. Good firm flesh that holds together and doesn't liquify in your hands. Sweet flavor, low acid. In other words, it's what you would get if you think grapefruits are too acidic and too messy.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 08:51:00 PM »
I used to have a Chandler Pummelo tree.  The flesh is semi-firm and pick in color.  I don't remember it being really sweet, but it definitely was a good tasting variety.  My wife loved it.  I removed the tree just so that I could make room of a Valentine pummelo.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 12:06:25 AM »
We have Chandler and Valentine. Chandler is nice. Valentine is amazing. Somewhere between a pomelo and tangy orange.
Shane

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 07:12:23 AM »
We have Chandler and Valentine. Chandler is nice. Valentine is amazing. Somewhere between a pomelo and tangy orange.
I don't know any pomelo valentive suplier in Europe...  :-[

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 10:26:01 AM »

That is most likely because of the Dancy and Ruby blood orange in the Valentine's parentage.
- Rob

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 12:25:53 PM »
Some varieties of pomelo include:

Chandler is the most common, having a deliciously sweet pink flesh and some seeds.

Hirado Buntan was named and introduced into cultivation about 1960, and is one of the most commercial of Japanese fruits. It is yellow, much like a grapefruit in size and shape; but its yellow-pink, bluish coloured flesh is less juicy and firmer. It has numerous segments, as well as seeds, and a tough sinewy wall that gives it an interesting consistency. To obtain the maximum in sweetness, a pomelo should ripen at room temperature for ten to fifteen days until it has a heavy aroma and a deep yellow colour.

Liang Ping Yau is a very large Chinese pomelo and highly prized in Southeast Asia, where it is considered the best citrus for desserts and other culinary purposes. It is shaped almost like a pyramid, with a very thick, pale yellow rind that protects its red, juicy sweet pulp. The pulp is comprised of up to fourteen segments, with many seeds. Its irregular segments create a mosaic pattern when seen in a cross-section. This pleasant flavoured fruit is often eaten with a honey dip in the Asian tradition.

Pandan Wangi is an outstanding pummelo variety from Java's Bativia district. It has a thick rind with a faint yellow-green hue and a meaty pith. The blush red pulp has up to eighteen segments and as many seeds. The fruit yields very little juice of a complex flavour but it is pleasant and sweet with a hint of lime.

Pink Pomelo is a pigmented member of the Thai group. Although it is sometimes bitter, it can have some of the best flavour of all the California pomelos. The rind is medium thick and slightly pebbly and looks much like the pink grapefruit. It has bright yellow skin, a juicy pulp, and many seeds; but it is less acidic than a grapefruit.

Red Shaddock was only recently developed in Africa at Tambuti Estate in Swaziland. It has an extraordinary flavour that is low in acid leaving a sugary sweet aftertaste. Red Shaddock pulp is very similar to that of the Star Ruby, crisp and intensely red, but has many seeds. The rind is a grapefruit-yellow colour and is smooth. It is ideal for cooking into various recipes.

Siamese Sweet was introduced into the US in 1930 by the USDA and grown at the University of California's Citrus Research Center in Riverside. The fruit is large and oblique, with a somewhat pebbly grapefruit-like rind. The flesh is white and meaty and has few seeds. Despite its name, the mild juice is faintly bitter. In Thailand, this pomelo is picked when it loses its green colour, and then stored indoors for a few months to improve its flavour and juiciness.

Wainwright is a California fruit that probably descended from the Chinese group. It is a large collared fruit, with a lemon-lime coloured rind that tapers characteristically, moderately thick, but soft and easy to peel. The flesh has up to fourteen juicy segments and has a pleasant flavour, but it is heavily seeded.
http://gourmetpedia.net/products/fruits/pomelo/

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 02:24:56 PM »
And add Oro Blanco, Melogold and Valentine...pummelo hybrids.
- Rob

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 03:48:54 PM »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 10:18:24 PM »
I think some of those names are not real.Pomelo needs to be grown in a warm climate to be sweet and taste good.I find them so much more appealing and pleasant to eat than grapefruit being less sour and more like orange.They also can be kept as segments for quite a while and the fruit last a long time whole.
Nam roi is pale and good
Carters red is good
Tahitian is good
Hirado is good and vaious thai and Vietnamese generally are good.I understand a few chinese types are of good quality but these are probably renamed Vietnamese varieties.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2017, 01:31:33 AM »
If I can add, 'kao pan' is the same variety as 'Siamese Pink', and also sometimes goes under the name 'Nakhon' or 'Nakon' after the province in Thailand where these are grown. It's often and generally considered the best tasting variety in Thailand, though that's subjective. (Keep in mind Thai category pomelos may not be as sweet as the other varieties we know, especially when grown in a climate that does not have year-long heat that Thailand does)

Correction: Nakon was the name given to a seedling of kao pan which was grown in Florida. It's probably very similar to its parent though.

Let me again point out that even though this may theoretically be the variety with the "best" flavor, I do not recommend it for most of you. Almost everyone outside of Southeast Asia prefers more sweetness. What a pomelo should be like is viewed a little bit differently in Thailand, since there are already so many other very sweet tropical fruits readily available, and pomelos are often used in salads or combined with sweet spicy sauces, rather than just being eaten as a dessert fruit. And even climates like Southern California may not have enough heat throughout the year to truly fully ripen these Thai varieties to full sweetness. Which is probably why as you start going North to Southern China the types of pomelos they grow look a little different, "Honey pomelos" with more golden-yellow colored skin. "Chinese grapefruit" may not be all that bad of a translation. They do have a very sweet variety in Thailand but the flavor is also very insipid because it lacks all sourness. This is where 'Siamese Sweet' originated from. (I also think it is lacking in fragrance and aroma but can't absolutely vouch for this)

I have for a long time been wanting to get the Japanese variety 'Banpeiyu', which has the distinction of having the largest size of all the citrus fruits, but from what I've read it's not really the most excellent eating quality. It's more of a novelty in Japan, or left floating in hot tubs to add fragrance at expensive ryokan inns.

There are several pomelo varieties cultivated in Japan, and of these the most commercially popular is Suishō buntan (水晶文旦), which translates as "Crystal". (Hirado Buntan comes in a distant second) However, grapefruit imported from the U.S. has mostly replaced the more traditional pomelo fruit in Japanese supermarkets. (Price may be a significant factor. Japan imports 15 times more weight in grapefruits than the entire domestic harvest of pomelo)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 03:11:07 AM by SoCal2warm »

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2017, 11:44:46 AM »
Of the ones I tried, my preference is
Chinese pummelo(oily to the touch, not wet like grapefruit),
Valentine (good sweetness in December before fully ready, good flavor),
Hirado Buntan(good fragrance, sweet with little acid),
Oroblanco(good flavor),
Siamese sweet (sweet, no acid, annoyingly bitter membrane if you touch it while eating),
Tahitian,
Reinking,
Banpeiyu (acidic),
Chandler (acidic, less acidic in March but still pretty high),
kao pan (acidic)

Most of this is based on a single tasting. My preference is sweet. I can taste the flavors only when my tongue is not overwhelmed by the acid. I think other people require the acid to distinguish (bring forth) flavor, where a fruit becomes empty if there's no acid.

It's a fairly low threshold until the only thing I taste is acid and it drowns out other stuff. I find that the acid can mask the signs that a fruit is spoiling. I only found out when I ate miracle fruit with some orange or kiwifruit that look good but are going downhill. Maybe people with higher acid tolerance can tell the difference.

snowjunky

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2017, 06:25:39 AM »
I grow a few pummelos in Phoenix AZ on sour orange root stock.  Some of the trees are still young.  This is my experience:

Sarawak - 3rd year in ground.  2nd year fruits are very good.  Flat medium size fruit, thin skin, juicy, good sugar/acid balance with a hint of melon.  The tree is less tolerant of the Phoenix heat/sun than other pummelos and is also less cold hardy.

Tahitian - 2nd year in ground. 1st year fruits are delicious.  Small size fruit, thin skin, sweeter than Sarawak and has lime flavor.  The tree is even less tolerant of heat/sun and cold than Sarawak.  It is suppose to be a smaller tree than Sarawak too.  Tahitian is definitely not identical to Sarawak as some suggest.

Hirado Buntan (Florida origin) - 2nd year in ground. Only 5ft tall and wide, but is holding 8 large mature fruits after I thinned out half the fruits when they were fist size.  1st year fruits are edible, but not good.  I think it will be much better next year.  Large flat fruit, thin skin, lighter red than Chandler, has good heat/sun and cold tolerance for a pummelo.

Chinese Pummelo (four winds growers) - 2nd year in ground but no flowers yet.  Most heat/sun tolerant of my pummelos.  Seems to have good cold tolerance, but I'm not sure it compares to Hirado Buntan.

Chandler - 5 years in ground 20 ft tall tree.  4th year fruits are still inedible!  Can't even compare to 1st year Hirado Buntan fruits.  People in cooler regions have reported bad chandler fruits, but some say that they are good when grown in hotter inland regions.  Well I ain't waiting around for Phoenix to get hotter so I'm going to topwork it to Banpeiyu.

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2018, 05:27:18 PM »
I used to have a Chandler Pummelo tree.  The flesh is semi-firm and pick in color.  I don't remember it being really sweet, but it definitely was a good tasting variety.  My wife loved it.  I removed the tree just so that I could make room of a Valentine pummelo.

My chandler is always very dry and tasteless when I pick them in January or late December.  Perhaps I'm waiting too long to harvest. I'm thinking the longer a citrus hangs the sweeter it gets, but not in this situation, apparently.  My tree is about 8 years old in the ground.  This year I intend to pick them in early Nov. to see if I get better fruit.  Otherwise I may cut it down and graft with Valentine.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2018, 06:45:02 PM »

My chandler is always very dry and tasteless when I pick them in January or late December.  Perhaps I'm waiting too long to harvest. I'm thinking the longer a citrus hangs the sweeter it gets, but not in this situation, apparently.  My tree is about 8 years old in the ground.  This year I intend to pick them in early Nov. to see if I get better fruit.  Otherwise I may cut it down and graft with Valentine.
Had same problem with Chandler being dry inside. Removed it after many years of dud fruits. Have Tahiti and some seedlings and they are nice and juicy. Main problem is findings something to do with them all as the trees are so productive. Just giving them away right now. Very difficult to sell this fruit.
Oscar

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2018, 06:46:27 PM »
Yourgos, interest statement about the Valentine Pummelo.  Going on 4 years ago I chopped out a Persian Lime and replaced it with a Valentine Pummelo. Valentine  = a wonderful tree, a wonderful fruit.