Author Topic: Possible to ship prunus scionwood to California?  (Read 734 times)

tropic_tester

• Bay Area, CA: USDA10A | Sunset17 | Heat3
    • View Profile
Possible to ship prunus scionwood to California?
« on: April 30, 2021, 08:16:30 PM »
I was hoping to get some plum cuttings as well as some ornamental cherry cuttings, but didn't want to do anything that would be illegal. I know that there are a lot of restrictions when it comes to all citrus entering California due to ACP, but I was wondering if those same level of restrictions and what the restrictions are for cuttings of the prunus genus in general. I was doing to basic researching but since I'm new to gardening I'm a little confused by the rules. It did seem that fruit and soil were carriers for a lot of pests in general so bareroot seems common for a lot of plants being shipped to California. What are peoples experiences with this, or if it is possible at all?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 02:08:43 PM by tropic_tester »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Possible to ship prunus scionwood to California?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 03:26:29 PM »
You can have scions sent to you its not a problem.  But there's plenty of material in CA so why get it imported?
Brad Spaugh

tropic_tester

• Bay Area, CA: USDA10A | Sunset17 | Heat3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 01:43:35 AM »
True, fruit scions are probably easy enough in California and with this forum. I hadn't really put thought too much into it.

The ornamental flowering cherries might be more difficult. I've been looking for a couple of varieties that I can't seem to find anywhere in nurseries or commercial distributors. I figured that most likely I wouldn't be able to find it in California. But if it was found, it'd be out of state and I wouldn't be able to get a full plant. So, getting a scion to graft would be my best chance.

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 06:03:10 PM »
Is summer heat problematic for plums in zone 10 in California Bay area? You could easily find in your neighborhood a member of the California Rare Fruit Growers Association and get your answers first hand from them. They also have scion exchange meetings few times annually. Good luck.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk