Author Topic: Germinating Duguetia Seeds  (Read 2836 times)

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
Germinating Duguetia Seeds
« on: May 26, 2015, 08:35:10 PM »
The discussion of germinating duguetia seeds seems to either go to using GA3 or direct sowing and some soaking in water. Are there any good first hand experiences and what did you use?

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
Re: Germinating Duguetia Seeds
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 09:45:28 PM »
Ive never used GA3 for these seeds and they all sprouted that ive had. soak in water a couple days or until they sink, give them from a month to 8 months and even longer to germinate. Once it sprouts give it a good amount of sun and the seed will eventually after a while fall off, if you keep in shade the seed doesn't fall off. Their really hardy from seed being exposed to a good amount of sun without burning. give good soil that holds moderate water.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 02:50:16 AM »
What species are you asking about? This is a pretty big genus. And i'm thinking there's going to be differences from species to species.
The D. lanceolata is the one i have most experience with. I didn't use GA3 and sprouted fine, but they take long time to sprout and are quite slow growing. I think they like some shade when small.
Oscar

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 02:53:37 AM »
I'm curious -- are any Duguetia worth growing in California?  Has anyone fruited them?

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 06:50:12 PM »
D. Peruviana. In case one works better than the other. I will soak some and plant some direct into worm castings. Thanks :)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 07:50:11 PM »
D. Peruviana. In case one works better than the other. I will soak some and plant some direct into worm castings. Thanks :)

That species is from coastal Ecuador. So i doubt they need GA3 to break dormancy, since they don't normally experience dormancy. Soaking overnight probably helpful.
Oscar

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 01:07:19 PM »
I have tried numerous D. Lanceolata seeds and had zero luck getting any to germinate using the GA3 method. Rather disappointing since I love the look of the fruit. At this point I am done trying and will wait until I see a seedling I can try an buy off someone.

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 03:14:42 PM »
D. Lanceolata is actually really easy to sprout, just soak in water for a day or 2 and plant them in soil that holds moderate water. You can go weeks without even giving them water, they just take 6 months to a year to germinate but ive had them germinate at 1 month. Try just soaking in water rather using GA3. The only reason to really use GA3 is to speed up germination or break dormancy but if you just let time take its course they will all sprout without it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk