Author Topic: Can I graft loquat on Apple ?  (Read 8223 times)

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Can I graft loquat on Apple ?
« on: April 30, 2016, 10:48:18 AM »
Does any experienced grafter know if I can use Apple as rootstock to graft loquat scion on? If not then what is the best rootstock for loquat?

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Can I graft loquat on Apple ?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 10:57:10 AM »
Don't know about apple, but quince supposedly dwarfs the loquats, making them easier to manage.  No pruning of height done when it's on quince rootstock--only prune the width for preferred shape. Here in FL it is usually grafted on it's own roots, but the trees do get fairly large that way.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

pschill444@aol.com

• springvalley ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 01:45:16 PM »
Hi Dragon , if your thought is to graft it to an existing apple tree you can do that BUT you must first qraft quince to your apple then graft loquat to quince these can both be done at the same time.      Patrick

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 01:46:30 PM »
Don't know about apple, but quince supposedly dwarfs the loquats, making them easier to manage.  No pruning of height done when it's on quince rootstock--only prune the width for preferred shape. Here in FL it is usually grafted on it's own roots, but the trees do get fairly large that way.

+1. Nothing more to add to that 8)

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 01:47:58 PM »
Hi Dragon , if your thought is to graft it to an existing apple tree you can do that BUT you must first qraft quince to your apple then graft loquat to quince these can both be done at the same time.      Patrick

Except maybe that  ;D

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 03:42:36 PM »
All of this sounds amazing. Stop giving me these Frankentree ideas. I get obsessed with these things. Now I have to go buy some quince seeds.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D So stoked.
-Josh

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 03:49:59 PM »
My loquat stays plenty dwarf with pruning once or twice per year, no fancy rootstock required.
Dom

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 05:14:45 PM »
But it is fun Dom.  ;)
-Josh

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 06:04:37 PM »
My loquat stays plenty dwarf with pruning once or twice per year, no fancy rootstock required.

How old is your tree?  I think it can be managed if trained small from the start and pruning schedule maintained, but if left unchecked, it will grow to a medium sized tree, like 18 to 25 ft and wide...hard to harvest like that.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 06:40:26 PM »
Josh, it is totally fun and cool, but I'd rather err on the side of more vigor and get some extra mulch out of the deal.

This loquat has been in ground for 3yrs, and was about 4-5' tall and wide when planted. Now I'd say it is about 8' tall at the tallest part and roughly 12-15' wide. I cut out any vertical growth in the middle of the tree once or twice per year. I have yet to do much pruning to control width, but now that the fruit is mostly off of it for this round I'm going to cut it back a good deal, and open up one third of it around where I grafted a BigJim scion.

To answer the original question, I'd just use loquat for loquat rootstock. It is cheap and readily available this time of year and handles drought well. As long as you aren't shy about pruning it, it can be totally manageable size-wise and the leaves make a good mulch.

How old is your tree?  I think it can be managed if trained small from the start and pruning schedule maintained, but if left unchecked, it will grow to a medium sized tree, like 18 to 25 ft and wide...hard to harvest like that.
Dom

pschill444@aol.com

• springvalley ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 12:19:43 PM »
Hello Dom, some people like to have fun with there trees, some do not have room for a lot of trees or some might look at there tree as ART WORK picture a apple tree with red -yellow-green apples red -brown yellow pears -asian pears-quince- then you top it off with a nice loquat now picture that in your front yard, is that cool or what??      Patrick

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 03:17:16 PM »
I totally get those reasons why someone might want to do that, but the OP asked for the best rootstock for loquat, and "best" can be an extremely subjective question. For me, in FL, having rootstock that's cheap and readily available and proven tolerant of everything FL will throw at it qualifies as "best." Your mileage may of course vary.

Edited to add: somehow I missed that OP is in San Diego, and I'm not sure how well loquat does relative to apples/quince over there. I know here in FL loquat seedlings are everywhere, and apples are uncommon.

Hello Dom, some people like to have fun with there trees, some do not have room for a lot of trees or some might look at there tree as ART WORK picture a apple tree with red -yellow-green apples red -brown yellow pears -asian pears-quince- then you top it off with a nice loquat now picture that in your front yard, is that cool or what??      Patrick
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 03:21:16 PM by TheDom »
Dom

pschill444@aol.com

• springvalley ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 04:52:46 PM »
YO Dom Chill out, idid not say it was the Best  rootstalk , just that you can and why some people might like to try it . Patrick

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 07:13:40 PM »
Umm, OK? Not sure what need there is to chill about, we're talking about rootstock, and I knew a little about it and figured I'd share. #confused

Quote from: pschill444@aol.com link=topic=19953.msg247030#msg247030 date=146 ko2135966
YO Dom Chill out, idid not say it was the Best  rootstalk , just that you can and why some people might like to try it . Patrick
Dom

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 12:01:10 AM »

Except maybe that  ;D
I don't have quince so can I still graft loquat on Apple ?

pschill444@aol.com

• springvalley ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 01:10:26 AM »
NO

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 01:15:13 AM »
NO

Can The Dom graft loquat onto quince? hahaha
-Josh

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 08:02:31 AM »
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:07:48 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 08:58:41 AM »
Lol! Can I? Sure. Would I? Probably not. I might go the other way around though if quince is worth having. I'm already working on putting multiple varieties on this loquat anyhow.

NO

Can The Dom graft loquat onto quince? hahaha
Dom

pschill444@aol.com

• springvalley ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 12:59:50 AM »
DOM, sorry,did not mean to be insulting.     Patrick

pschill444@aol.com

• springvalley ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2016, 01:13:06 AM »
Deagon, just read on Purdue University's (new crop resource online program) it says you can graft loquat to apple-pear-quince- pyracantha ,  quince and pyracantha being for extreme dwarfing. this is from a book by Julie F. Morton 1987 titled fruits of warm climates pages 103-108  ....i tried it before and it did not work for me could have been timing.    Patrick

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 01:41:08 AM »
Deagon, just read on Purdue University's (new crop resource online program) it says you can graft loquat to apple-pear-quince- pyracantha ,  quince and pyracantha being for extreme dwarfing. this is from a book by Julie F. Morton 1987 titled fruits of warm climates pages 103-108  ....i tried it before and it did not work for me could have been timing.    Patrick

Patrick,

It is a good news. I am going to try, but first I need to look for a scion from fruited tree. Unfortunately, my big Jim is still a seedling.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk