Author Topic: Help got a purple variety passion fruit few months ago Why is this happening ?  (Read 1060 times)

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
It’s been flowering and producing fruit for some time but when I open the fruit it’s empty. It’s happened to all of the ones I’ve opened 10 or so so far, most of them  I waited  for them to turn purple. Also grabbed some green ones just to see what’s happening.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 06:05:48 PM by Tiberivs »

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Poor thing! Your plant needs a boyfriend! Preferably another variety, but I think some do fine with the same variety. You may be able to pollinate the flowers yourself and see if it is self-compatible, but if it was outside, at least some of the flowers should have gotten pollinated, so it probably just needs another plant.

Carolyn

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
It happens, unsuccessful pollination.
You can try to hand pollinate for better results. Try applying the yellow pollen to the three stigma of the flowers.

It does help to have multiple varieties, but it isn't strictly necessary on the purple types.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Even just another seedling of purple passionfruit is usually enough genetic diversity for pollination. You should also plant the flowering plant known as Blue Porter weed near passionfruit. It is the best bumblebee attractor you can get in Florida.
Available at most native plant nurseries or just growing wild, self-seeds so if you know of a plant look around for seedlings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9lDwEN5Ma0

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
Thanks for the replies I actually planted a yellow one right next to it. Maybe once they both start flowering at same time I’ll have better luck. For sure I have bees pollinating cause I’ve seen them.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Thanks for the replies I actually planted a yellow one right next to it. Maybe once they both start flowering at same time I’ll have better luck. For sure I have bees pollinating cause I’ve seen them.
To get polinated you usually need same specie.If the yellow passionfruit is another specie then it wont be polinated easy.
Bees polinate same flowers from the same specie and even if it would work to polinate different species and make hibrid plants ,that is usually done by man ( hand pollinating)not by bees.