Author Topic: Snow Lemon ?  (Read 897 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Snow Lemon ?
« on: October 11, 2020, 01:23:29 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has seen a snow (white branch) lemon.
I know Laaz has that nice looking snow FD, but I have not heard of anyone with a snow lemon.

I have a bud mutation that I have grafted on my trees and it has been kept alive for 10+yrs. The grafted branches still needs to be on a normal green rootstock but my grafted branches grow pretty decent, about 3-5ft long with many side branches before the tips eventually get sun burned and turn brown and start to die back to the white branch. I do get fruits on my snow lemon and just curious if anyone else has seen such a lemon branch.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 02:11:42 AM by sc4001992 »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Snow Lemon ?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 02:10:17 AM »
Here's some photos of the snow lemon branches.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 11:41:39 AM »
SC400, your snow tree (branch) is the only one I have seen.  The fruits that you show in your pictures, are they the fruits off of the snow branch, or off of the  tree in general?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 12:30:30 PM »
Yes, fruits are all from the white branches. I cut a few open and one of the over ripe fruit has some seeds already starting to grow. Interesting that it had 2 seeds, one was albino and the other was green.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 12:50:51 PM »
Here's a few more photos of fruits on the white branches. I have many branches grafted on the large tree. Rest of the branches on the tree are normal green leafs.

I cut these branches off so I can re-graft on a few other trees to see if I can get some branches that will not always die back to the white branch every year. So far the best growth I had grew about 5 ft with lots of side branches but that also die back to a branch stick after a year.

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 01:58:33 PM »
I have a couple of different varieties of variegated lemon.
Some of these do sometimes produce all white shoots, but I usually cut them off because I think they would eventually die back anyway. They also are not as ornamental as the rest of the variegated tree. I've never thought of grafting them somewhere else.
Are your 'snow lemon' shoots also originally from a variegated lemon tree or a normal one?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 02:49:28 PM »
Here's another white/cream citrus I grafted on lemon tree. It seems to be pure white/cream with no green/stripes coloration.
This one looks much better and I think it may not burn out (sun) like the snow lemon. Its been growing for about a year and still looks nice !

Got any photos of yours to post?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 02:58:45 PM »
citrange, yes I agree with you. I do have many different variegated citrus trees and most of the small white branches that start usually grow about a foot then die off.

The photos of the snow lemon branches I showed above have been grafted and growing on my tree for 10+yrs and they do die back so I usually trim some back and new buds grow out from the grafted branches as you can see. I'm hoping that I can graft these onto another citrus tree and see if I can get it to stay looking nice as the last photo I showed (white citrus2-pic1).