Author Topic: WTB Ripe Ice Cream Beans  (Read 804 times)

Joeu3

• Florida Keys Zone 11
    • View Profile
WTB Ripe Ice Cream Beans
« on: February 13, 2021, 02:22:34 PM »
Hey Everyone,
First post, except I've been going to this forum for years..
I have been curious to start some ice cream bean plants except I have no idea what they taste like. Before I go through with this, does anyone want to sell me a few ripe ice cream beans? I live in the Florida Keys.

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
Re: WTB Ripe Ice Cream Beans
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 05:51:03 PM »
Hi dude
Welcome to the forum ! Please remember me  for the summer . The only pods that are shipable are the cotton candy  (machete type ).You will be amazed.

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 05:52:57 PM »
Hi dude
Welcome to the forum ! Please remember me  for the summer . The only pods that are shipable are the cotton candy  (machete type ).You will be amazed.

Can you ship scions? Please send me a PM if you can. Thanks, Nate
Nate

LycheeLust

• I need the seedless lychee
    • Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 01:17:45 PM »
Imagine taking a cotton ball, wetting it in mild sugar water, and putting an edamame bean in the center. That’s what it tastes, and feels like. The seed usually already starts germinating in the fruit and tastes like edamame. The flesh clings to the seed which is why you get an earthy edamame taste when you eat it.

IMO (at least for the one I tried, I think inga Edulis?) the fruit is good but the flesh ratio was too low, too clingstone, and I dont like the earthy edamame flavor that comes from the large seed. The seed easily breaks apart when you eat it. Overall I rate it 6/10, if I saw it in the store I wouldn’t buy it unless it was a new variety I haven’t tried. Also the tree is supposed to be gigantic, I wouldn’t waste space on it in the ground, although it is a nitrogen fixing tree. 

There are other varieties too that are supposed to have a better flesh ratio and maybe more freestone. I planted one of the seeds in a pot and I’m growing inga laurina in a pot which is supposedly a better variety.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 10:28:07 PM by LycheeLust »

socalbalcony

• California, South OC, 10B
    • View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 02:27:40 PM »
The pulp should be drier and stick less to the seeds the more ripe the fruit is, pods will even take a 'gold' color. Once the pods are very plump the seed to flesh ratio isn't too shabby.. I offered some for sale earlier in 2020 on facebook and got overwhelmed with orders/happy customers..

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 10:44:57 PM »

Maracot or airlayer is like make a clone

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 11:27:37 AM »
There was a guy selling whole ice cream bean pods on eBay. Seeds were viable. Fruit pretty good but not insanely good.
Trying to grow it all!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk