Author Topic: how should i go about getting a tissue sample for testing?  (Read 2184 times)

redster

• new orleans
    • View Profile
I finally broke down and bought some STEM  from ebay the other day.   before I apply it, I want to get a sample to take to the LSU ag center for testing. how should I go about doing this for 7 in ground trees.  I assume that my soil is for the most part the same throughout the yard, but they may have gotten different amounts for fertilizer through the years.  would it make more sense to take mature leaves of one tree, or each tree, or young leaves, the best tree, worst tree, oldest, youngest or what. which will give the best idea of how my trees are doing overall.  I only want to send one sample, I really cant afford to test each tree separate. which test should I get, im thinking the routine plus C and N, unless theres a reason I should need the environmental package.  I know its only 4 bucks more but waste is waste...

AgRoutine Metals Package (P, K, Ca, Mg, S, B, Zn, Cu, Fe, Mn, Mo, Al, and Na) ............................................($8.00/sample)
Nitrogen Test (Total Nitrogen)...($8.00/sample)
AgRoutine Metals Package plus Nitrogen ... ($12.00/sample)
AgRoutine Metals Package plus Carbon and Nitrogen ................................................................................. ($14.00/sample)
Environmental Package (AgRoutine Metals plus Pb, Cd, As, Ni, Cr, Se, Co, and Si) ...................................... ($12.00/sample)
Environmental Package plus Nitrogen ... ($16.00/sample)
Environmental Package plus Carbon and Nitrogen ...................................................................................... ($18.00/sample)
Total Carbon and Nitrogen (Total Carbon and Nitrogen) ................................................................................. ($10.00/sample)

im going to do a search for the best way to apply the STEM but if anybody has anything to add about that im all ears
owari satsuma, ruby red grapefruit, sunburst tangerine, meyer lemon, ponkan mandarin, st ann satsuma,  gold nugget mandarin, nagami kumquat, pineapples

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
Re: how should i go about getting a tissue sample for testing?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 06:49:20 PM »
I don't bother to test my trees. I spray with STEM every time I spray for bugs.

redster

• new orleans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 11:43:15 PM »
i likely will spray anyway also, I just kinda wanted a baseline just for kicks...maybe test every 5 years or something. I mostly just want to know im doing something right
owari satsuma, ruby red grapefruit, sunburst tangerine, meyer lemon, ponkan mandarin, st ann satsuma,  gold nugget mandarin, nagami kumquat, pineapples

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 10:50:55 AM »

redster

• new orleans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 10:29:56 PM »
thank you Millet, that's what I was looking for.  it doesn't seem like testing multiple tree in the same sample is a good idea. I guess maybe ill just send in one tree...

redster

• new orleans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 03:00:32 PM »
Aluminum, ppm 22.36
Arsenic, ppm                          BelowDetectionLimit
Boron, ppm 48.05                  30.00 to 100.00
Cadium, ppm                         BelowDetectionLimit
Calcium % 4.38
Carbon % 41.80
Copper, ppm 10.15
Iron, ppm 52.73
Lead, ppm 1.04
Magnesium % 0.29                0.17 to 0.45
Manganese, ppm 8.40
Molybdenum, ppm                 BelowDetectionLimit
Nickel, ppm 5.60
Nitrogen % 2.60                  3.00 to 3.40
Phosphorus % 0.13              0.15 to 0.26
Potassium % 1.09                 0.90 to 1.10
Selenium, ppm                      BelowDetectionLimit
Sodium, ppm 151.93
Sulfur % 0.27
Zinc, ppm 22.67                   15.00 to 90.00

my Satsuma tree seems healthy enough.  the only question I have is how much lead has to be in the soil to get 1ppm into the tree, any ideas???