Author Topic: Oranges Color and Taste Comparison  (Read 27099 times)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Re: Oranges Color and Taste Comparison
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2014, 08:37:26 PM »
I've had great citrus from California and Florida but I had some Ruby grapefruit from Texas that were the best grapefruit I've ever tasted. So sweet it was unreal. Tom

Oh snap...I think Mark might have been onto something wen he said Texas Citrus was top notch
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2014, 11:36:17 PM »
I've had great citrus from California and Florida but I had some Ruby grapefruit from Texas that were the best grapefruit I've ever tasted. So sweet it was unreal. Tom

Oh snap...I think Mark might have been onto something wen he said Texas Citrus was top notch

Yes the best red grapefruit is the Rio Red in my front porch flower bed, but don't tell anyone; it's a secret!  ;)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 03:05:05 AM by sugar land dave »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2014, 07:12:38 AM »
There are great blood oranges grown in cooler and drier citrus districts in Australia. They are very sweet. The same citrus variety grown in different districts can look and taste quite different. Skin and flesh color, acidity, skin thickness etc all respond to climate. I prefer the sweet grapefruit grown in warmer districts.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2014, 10:02:01 AM »
There are great blood oranges grown in cooler and drier citrus districts in Australia. They are very sweet. The same citrus variety grown in different districts can look and taste quite different. Skin and flesh color, acidity, skin thickness etc all respond to climate. I prefer the sweet grapefruit grown in warmer districts.

The Blood Oranges I tried at the Farmers Market this year in SoCal were extremely Tart and not very sweet...not sure if this was an off year...but I'll give another try.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 03:26:08 PM by Millet »
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

BarbJ

• Cupertino, CA, 9-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2014, 11:55:18 AM »
I don't understand why folks in other states say California citrus isn't good.  Now I have to qualify that statement by admitting I haven't bought citrus in the grocery store in probably 25 years. Both the homes I've lived in during that time had orange trees. I do buy regular lemons and limes, though in a few years I won't be buying them either.

But as a kid, I used to eat tons of store bought navels and they were wonderful!  Now some of them may have been still grown in those LA basin counties, who's climate is God's Gift to citrus. Too bad the land and water got so expensive. Most now are grown in the central valley, which gets hotter, but does not have the cooler nights the coastal areas have, and the water isn't quite as nice.  But I wonder if the real reason is the newer root stocks growers here must use.  In the early and mid twentieth century, most were grown on sour orange, but it was done in by tristeza virus. I've heard the newer root stocks, while being virus resistant, do not make as sweet a fruit.
That's just too sad!

I always thought California did Navels best, Florida rules with Valencia, and Texas Grapefruit cant's be beat.
Never tried Arizona fruit, sorry.

I had blood oranges when I was in Spain in the 70's, they were absolutely delicious! Yep, different flavor than most oranges, but they were very sweet. Sangria made with good blood oranges is ambrosia!!
 I don't understand why CA can't grow a good blood orange, the climate is very similar? Root stock issues again? 
While in Spain we also ate amazing navels imported from Israel. They were huge and very sweet!

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2014, 03:17:45 PM »
Only have experience with citrus in California and here. But i've heard that most of the oranges in Florida were used for juicing? If they were best eating quality why would they be juiced?

This is true...Florida Orange Juice is amazing...

Yeah, the flavor of Florida orange juice is amazing - because of the "flavor packs" that are added to the juice.

Pepsi (Tropicana), and Coke (Minute Maid), produce approximately 59% of the orange juice in America and they enhance the flavor with essences derived from orange peel.  These are not listed as ingredients since technically they are made from oranges.  With the flavor packs, the consumer drinks natural chemicals derived from oranges in different concentrations than normally occurring in fresh-squeezed juice.

"While the evaporative process also strips off the aroma compounds responsible for the juice's fresh-squeezed taste, processors capture and blend these compounds into "flavor pack" mixtures. Later, juice-processing companies purchase and add these flavor packs back to frozen, concentrated juice, along with water, before marketing the reconstituted juice."
http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2004/040915.htm
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2014, 03:50:11 PM »
If one can use the good flavored essences derived from the orange peel, and adding them to the juice to improve the experience of drinking  a better tasting natural product, I think it is a good practice.  I like better. - Millet

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2014, 03:57:23 PM »
To me, concentrated orange juice, like Pepsi (Tropicana), and Coke (Minute Maid), are NOT real orange juice. Does not taste anything like fresh orange juice. Also i really dislike the taste of oils from rind that are added to these super market concoctions. Would never buy them.
Oscar

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2014, 04:14:43 PM »
Like I've said before, taste is very selective and personal. For sure millions, and millions and even more millions of people in this country buy and drink both Pepsi (Tropicana), and Coke (Minute Maid) every morning. Surely the reason is that they enjoy it for breakfast.   - Millet.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2014, 04:38:29 PM »
This is what scares me !!!!

"Once the juice is squeezed and stored in gigantic vats, they start removing oxygen. Why? Because removing oxygen from the juice allows the liquid to keep for up to a year without spoiling. But! Removing that oxygen also removes the natural flavors of oranges. Yeah, it's all backwards. So in order to have OJ actually taste like oranges, drink companies hire flavor and fragrance companies, the same ones that make perfumes for Dior, to create these "flavor packs" to make juice taste like, well, juice again.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/29/100-percent-orange-juice-artificial_n_913395.html

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2014, 05:01:30 PM »
Like I've said before, taste is very selective and personal. For sure millions, and millions and even more millions of people in this country buy and drink both Pepsi (Tropicana), and Coke (Minute Maid) every morning. Surely the reason is that they enjoy it for breakfast.   - Millet.

Yes lots of people eat also Captain Crunch cereal for breakfast. Also tons of very sick people in America as a result.
Oscar

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2014, 10:30:57 PM »
My main gripe with the use of the orange-sourced flavour packs is that the additives are not listed on the juice label. 

The naïve consumer will tend to think that freshly-squeezed orange juice really tastes like those reconstituted juices, when in fact no orange produces juice with that taste.   These companies probably taste-test the flavours with focus groups, and the biggest crowd-pleasing flavour pack is the one they sell.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 10:38:48 PM by jcaldeira »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2014, 04:01:39 AM »
Orange as a favour is evolving and moving away from it's original fruit original and more about a colour. This happened to lime and now it has moved to be remote from its fruit origin and is more about green sugar water.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2014, 09:26:25 AM »

sometimes ignorance is bliss....plus most of them don't live in places where fresh-squeezed is all that feasible/available year-round, without processing themselves at home. 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2014, 04:25:37 PM »
Orange as a favour is evolving and moving away from it's original fruit original and more about a colour. This happened to lime and now it has moved to be remote from its fruit origin and is more about green sugar water.

Artificial strawberry flavor is another that doesn't match the real fruit at all.  Most strawberry fruit sold in U.S. supermarkets is almost tasteless, but even a good strawberry tastes nothing like the artificial flavor.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2014, 04:26:51 PM »

sometimes ignorance is bliss....plus most of them don't live in places where fresh-squeezed is all that feasible/available year-round, without processing themselves at home.

Millions and millions world wide drink Pepsi and Coca cola. This doesn't say anything about the quality or value of a product, or how concerned these people are with their health. jAnyone for an In-n-Out Burger to go along with it?  :o
Oscar

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2014, 07:52:23 PM »
i always thought watermelon flavoring was furthest from the actual taste.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2014, 07:59:46 PM »
I can't think of an artificial frit flavour close to the original. Pineapple and banana taste pretty distant from the fruit as well. The colour is always aligned more with the skin than the flesh or juice.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2014, 09:24:56 PM »
Fruitlovers, I think as far as Coke drinkers go, it is not millions and millions.  The number of the world's coke drinkers,  is actually billions and billions of people.  - Millet

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2014, 09:39:54 PM »
Fruitlovers, I think as far as Coke drinkers go, it is not millions and millions.  The number of the world's coke drinkers,  is actually billions and billions of people.  - Millet

Millet can you throw a check under my name for one of the those Billions of coke consumers. Thank you

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2014, 02:49:47 AM »

1000 million = 1 billion
Only 7 billion total population, so i doubt your statement is true, but yes LOTS of people eat junk food and drinks. That was my point.
Oscar

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2014, 03:35:22 AM »

1000 million = 1 billion
Only 7 billion total population, so i doubt your statement is true, but yes LOTS of people eat junk food and drinks. That was my point.

"Since 2010, we’ve added 1.1 billion unit cases, bringing volume to 11 billion unit cases in 2013."
- Muhtar Kent,chairman and chief executive officer, Coca Cola.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2014, 03:44:40 AM »

1000 million = 1 billion

"Since 2010, we’ve added 1.1 billion unit cases, bringing volume to 11 billion unit cases in 2013."

"world's coke drinkers,  is actually billions and billions of people"
I think Millet was talking about people? Not cases of bottles sold?
Oscar

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2014, 09:03:45 AM »

"world's coke drinkers,  is actually billions and billions of people"
I think Millet was talking about people? Not cases of bottles sold?

Oscar, I think you are arguing just for the sake of arguing.

"sold in more than 200 countries"

"1.8 billion servings of Coke products are consumed every day."

http://www.statisticbrain.com/coca-cola-company-statistics/
http://www.businessinsider.com/facts-about-coca-cola-2011-6?op=1#!HDV4x

bussone

• Philadelphia, PA (7a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2014, 05:30:32 PM »
I can't think of an artificial frit flavour close to the original.

Apple and lemon are really close.

I was amazed how much Buddha's Hand tasted like what I had always associated with "artificial" lemon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk