Author Topic: Wanted: Moringa Drouhardii  (Read 1447 times)

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
Wanted: Moringa Drouhardii
« on: February 29, 2020, 12:26:44 AM »
Really looking for an air layering from a seed bearing tree of Moringa Drouhardii, I know these guys can take several years to bear seeds so hoping for an air layering to lessen the wait as much as possible!!

Anybody have any history with Drouhardii?

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: Moringa Drouhardii
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 12:49:24 AM »
I had one in ground but termites got it unfortunately. Major loss. Its probably gonna be awhile before finding drouhardii or other rare moringa online for sale. I'm pretty sure all the seeds sold online aren't viable

Jabba The Hutt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 01:25:13 AM »
I had one in ground but termites got it unfortunately. Major loss. Its probably gonna be awhile before finding drouhardii or other rare moringa online for sale. I'm pretty sure all the seeds sold online aren't viable

UGHHHH :'( Sorry to hear that man... Feels like the proper thing to do is to pour one out for him, RIP. 

On a lighter note the Stenopetala you sent me finally is pushing some new growth after our last rain!!

I don't want to have to wait 7 years to see pods on these rarer moringas but that is seeming almost inevitable.

guygee

• United States, Florida Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 05:42:02 PM »
I have 2 M. drouhardii and 1  M. hildebrandtii in my FL backyard. I planted them several years ago, they are huge now. I planted the two drouhardii together in the same hole due to space limitations, that was a mistake, they spiraled around each other until it looks like one is finally dominating. The hildebrandtii is larger, at least 15' taller and about twice the diameter at the base. Neither species has flowered for me. I live less that a mile from the ECFL coast, maybe they don't like the salt. They did stand up well to the hurricane-force gusts from Matthew and Irma, not even loosing any branches.

The first branches are pretty high up but reachable with a 30  foot ladder. My nursery-person skills are weak, I've experimented a little with grafting sea grape and  carob without success so far. Frankly I would be leery of the weak root system from air-layering or cuttings for these massive trees. Maybe better to get your small seed importer license from the USDA and buy the seeds from India, if they cannot be sourced domestically. However maybe not so bad if if you prune the tree to spread as a large centerpiece, or if you are a bonsai enthusiast... I did the opposite since they are only 15' from power lines, now my thoughts tend more to how I'm going to get these massive bottle trees down. My original intent was to explore the Moringa genus and the possibility of getting seeds for root-stock or maybe even hybrids. Similarly my M stenopetala have never flowered, they are coppiced now. I did dig out one of those when it was about 10' and gift it to someone on the mainland, hers flowered years ago. It's been a disappointment, another another dead-end in my prolonged suburban agroforestry experiments.

My interest now is more towards improved varieties of M. oleifera. I'm trying to source the MOMAX3 variety. I'm also very interested in sourcing some Dipteryx alata seeds or seedlings. If you want to try a branch cutting from M. drouhardii maybe we can work something out. I'll be checking my messages here if you're interested.

Jabba The Hutt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 06:33:40 PM »
I have 2 M. drouhardii and 1  M. hildebrandtii in my FL backyard. I planted them several years ago, they are huge now. I planted the two drouhardii together in the same hole due to space limitations, that was a mistake, they spiraled around each other until it looks like one is finally dominating. The hildebrandtii is larger, at least 15' taller and about twice the diameter at the base. Neither species has flowered for me. I live less that a mile from the ECFL coast, maybe they don't like the salt. They did stand up well to the hurricane-force gusts from Matthew and Irma, not even loosing any branches.

The first branches are pretty high up but reachable with a 30  foot ladder. My nursery-person skills are weak, I've experimented a little with grafting sea grape and  carob without success so far. Frankly I would be leery of the weak root system from air-layering or cuttings for these massive trees. Maybe better to get your small seed importer license from the USDA and buy the seeds from India, if they cannot be sourced domestically. However maybe not so bad if if you prune the tree to spread as a large centerpiece, or if you are a bonsai enthusiast... I did the opposite since they are only 15' from power lines, now my thoughts tend more to how I'm going to get these massive bottle trees down. My original intent was to explore the Moringa genus and the possibility of getting seeds for root-stock or maybe even hybrids. Similarly my M stenopetala have never flowered, they are coppiced now. I did dig out one of those when it was about 10' and gift it to someone on the mainland, hers flowered years ago. It's been a disappointment, another another dead-end in my prolonged suburban agroforestry experiments.

My interest now is more towards improved varieties of M. oleifera. I'm trying to source the MOMAX3 variety. I'm also very interested in sourcing some Dipteryx alata seeds or seedlings. If you want to try a branch cutting from M. drouhardii maybe we can work something out. I'll be checking my messages here if you're interested.

PM'd! How old are these moringas that haven't flowered?

We are going to attempt to keep them manageable. Really want Ovalifolia!

The Dipteryx sounds awesome!

guygee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 06:52:43 PM »
I was just checking my records, I bought all those in 2010, so it has been 10 years. Too impatient?
The Dipteryx alata is still a holy grail for me, I actually scored seeds a few years back, I only got 1 out of 10 to germinate.
I planted it out, was out of town, and my son weed-wacked it down. It briefly sprouted again then died.

I had a good source for Brazilian cerrado seeds I found here, I used to get monthly emails from him but he hasn't answered for some time now, so looking for a new source.

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 07:25:48 PM »
I was just checking my records, I bought all those in 2010, so it has been 10 years. Too impatient?
The Dipteryx alata is still a holy grail for me, I actually scored seeds a few years back, I only got 1 out of 10 to germinate.
I planted it out, was out of town, and my son weed-wacked it down. It briefly sprouted again then died.

I had a good source for Brazilian cerrado seeds I found here, I used to get monthly emails from him but he hasn't answered for some time now, so looking for a new source.

10 years seems way to long. My  first stenopetala fruited in only a few months. I wouldn't be suprised if my hildebrandtii's flower this year too.

Jabba The Hutt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 07:29:45 PM »

10 years isn't anything to scoff at haha, I thought waiting 4 years for trees to fruit is going to be unbearable :'(

Stinks that your only succesful germination bit the big one, they always tease you after by hanging in there and giving false hope just to make two rounds of agony. Hopefully you will find a source soon!

Jabba The Hutt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 07:31:07 PM »

10 years seems way to long. My  first stenopetala fruited in only a few months. I wouldn't be suprised if my hildebrandtii's flower this year too.

I'm hoping the one I got from you flowers quickly!

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 08:00:09 PM »

I sold you a stenopetala? Totally forgot!

Jabba The Hutt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 10:28:52 PM »

I sold you a stenopetala? Totally forgot!

Yeah a few months ago I believe, looking great!

guygee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2020, 12:47:20 AM »

10 years seems way to long. My  first stenopetala fruited in only a few months. I wouldn't be surprised if my hildebrandtii's flower this year too.

Salt air? Overcrowding? Bad pruning practice? I know it isn't the characteristic of the tree variety or species, as the one stenopetala I gave away to someone farther inland has been flowering for years.

I live in the narrow strip of the ECFL coast where coconut trees thrive, but I couldn't get a breadfruit tree to survive more than two years (planted in a very sheltered area in an "L" section of my home but otherwise no extraordinary measures taken).

I'm going for little to no irrigation, building up soil with natural and green manures, and very low maintenance. Very heavy focus on edibles and medicinals. M. oleifera volunteers sprout up every year in my yard. Within my philosophy I have to work with the space and micro-climate that I have.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 01:12:07 AM by guygee »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk