Author Topic: Dosage for Osmocote Plus for potted trees - Cookie Monster, you use this, right?  (Read 1425 times)

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Hi Guys!
I have searched the forum and not found the dosage for Osmocote Plus for potted trees.
The package says 1 scoop (3 tbs) per 2 GAL pot, OR for 4 sq ft.
My 25 gallon pots are about 2x2 ft.
So, do I give them 12 scoops (calculated for pot size), or 1 scoop (calculated for sg ft), or something in between?

This is a HUGE difference!!
I called Osmocote, and they said to give each pot 12 1/2 scoops.
But all are light feeders, I believe (several annonas, cinnamon, cacao, lychee, jabo, etc...), and I don't want to kill them. Unlike soluble fertilizer, I can't just flush this stuff out.

Anyway, I gave the pots 4 scoops each, for now, figuring I can add more, but can't take it away.

So, an accurate dosage, that has worked well for quite a while for someone, for potted trees, would be a BIG help!!!!

Thanks!

Carolyn

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
I usually go with some for a few

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Hi Guys!
I have searched the forum and not found the dosage for Osmocote Plus for potted trees.
The package says 1 scoop (3 tbs) per 2 GAL pot, OR for 4 sq ft.
My 25 gallon pots are about 2x2 ft.
So, do I give them 12 scoops (calculated for pot size), or 1 scoop (calculated for sg ft), or something in between?

This is a HUGE difference!!
I called Osmocote, and they said to give each pot 12 1/2 scoops.
But all are light feeders, I believe (several annonas, cinnamon, cacao, lychee, jabo, etc...), and I don't want to kill them. Unlike soluble fertilizer, I can't just flush this stuff out.

Anyway, I gave the pots 4 scoops each, for now, figuring I can add more, but can't take it away.

So, an accurate dosage, that has worked well for quite a while for someone, for potted trees, would be a BIG help!!!!

Thanks!

Carolyn
This is what Osmocote says about their product:
https://www.plantersplace.com/osmocote-plant-food/outdoor-indoor-plus/

I use Nutricote.
The Nutricote I have had no problem at all planting sensitive seeds right on top of the granules at any rate.
Put a handful of Osmocote in a pot and plant some beans on top of it.
This will give you a visual test of how good your slow release fertilizer really is. If a bare seed has no problem a hardy tree seedling shouldn't either.
They release over 180 days and I typically add mine to potting soil when potting up, and every six months throw a handful on top of a 3 gallon.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
I've never burned anything with osmocote. The 12 tbs sounds right for a 25 gal pot. Remember -- that's all the food its going to get for 6+ months. So, that would be roughly 2 tbs per month of a regular fertilzer.

The annonas in my experience are not light feeders. They appreciate a lot of nitrogen, especially in the spring and summer, and don't produce well without it. The jabo, while salt sensitive, will produce way more fruit way more often if given plentiful nitrogen. One also normally wants those things to grow at a quicker pace.
Jeff  :-)

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Awesome! Thanks!!!

Carolyn