Author Topic: Insect identification!  (Read 1138 times)

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
Insect identification!
« on: November 15, 2018, 01:12:37 PM »
Hey guys, have been seeing a couple of insects around lately on the ground and in my fruit tree (mainly guava). Just wondering if these guys are good or bad.

Here is the first one. I have only seen this guy on my guava tree. He does seem to be munching on the leaves a bit which doesn’t bother me. Do these guys eat mites and other bad insects? Or are they themselves bad?

Here is the second, which I’m sure is a pretty common bug since they are everywhere in my yard and I am assuming they are harmless and beneficial but I want to make sure. They seem to be everywhere in my backyard. Especially where I have thrown prunings of my mango trees. I am assuming they are eating the leaves which is beneficial. It seems like every time I go near there I get one crawling up my leg haha!

Alejandro45

• Palm Beach FL, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Insect identification!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 02:33:51 PM »
The first is a type of beetle but can’t tell you the genus or species. If you can post it on bugguide.net they are very good at identifying genus and species.

The second one is a Suriname roach Pycnoscelus surinamensis nymph. Harmless and parthenogenic a welcome critter in my garden.

IndigoEmu

• US, Florida, Longwood, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 06:32:11 PM »
The surinam roaches act as the initial decomposer in a lot of places - similiar to exotic millipedes more common in south Florida - breaking down fresh and rotting plant material for the next crew of worms, mites, springtails, and other critters to takeover as they convert mulch to soil. Their tendency to crawl upwards when exposed to vibrations is a neat quirk that anoles will learn to take advantage. Spend a lot of time outside and they’ll follow you around waiting for you to disturb the roaches. Chickens also love them and will learn to follow a lawn mower.

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 02:49:23 PM »
Thanks guys!

Would be nice to know if that first beetle is a good or bad insect to have in my tree. I'll have to look into that site mentioned above.

Also good to hear that the beetle on the bottom is not harmful as I suspected. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk