Author Topic: Two plants in one spot?  (Read 2409 times)

nakulv1

• Mumbai, India, Zone 13
    • View Profile
Two plants in one spot?
« on: September 20, 2016, 07:48:26 AM »
I have two soursop and two atemoya plants. There are no other plants of these fruits in the area. Also I only have two spots in the ground to plant them. Is it okay to plant two of either plants in one spot to facilitate cross pollination it they do need it?(Both are seed grown) Thank you.
-Nakul

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
Re: Two plants in one spot?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 08:04:10 AM »
I have four black zapotes planted in one hole and three of them are over three meters tall now. I have also planted other varieties two to a hole (mangosteens, pulisan and anonas) and they are all thriving. BUT, my soil is very deep and good. We'll see the effect in a few years. There's a good video on youtube from Dave Wilson Nursery on the technique that's very interesting.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 08:07:35 AM by Doug »

nakulv1

• Mumbai, India, Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 03:13:46 PM »
I have four black zapotes planted in one hole and three of them are over three meters tall now. I have also planted other varieties two to a hole (mangosteens, pulisan and anonas) and they are all thriving. BUT, my soil is very deep and good. We'll see the effect in a few years. There's a good video on youtube from Dave Wilson Nursery on the technique that's very interesting.

Thats good to hear. The soil at my place is average. Will have a look at the video though. Thank you Doug.
-Nakul

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 03:49:45 PM »
A few people have posted here advocating putting multiple trees in one hole to insure pollination and save space.  I have done this with a number of trees of various species & it seems to be working fine so far but still way too early to say for sure.  Anything I have that is dioecious but I don't want to take up a lot of orchard space with, I have been doubling up.

John

nakulv1

• Mumbai, India, Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 06:02:43 PM »
A few people have posted here advocating putting multiple trees in one hole to insure pollination and save space.  I have done this with a number of trees of various species & it seems to be working fine so far but still way too early to say for sure.  Anything I have that is dioecious but I don't want to take up a lot of orchard space with, I have been doubling up.

John

I'll do it too then. Lets see how they perform. The plants have become pot bound already.
-Nakul

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 06:44:02 PM »
Planting multiple trees in one hole should work from what I have researched but I will also recommend that you graft one variety onto the other and vice versa in case one of the trees dies on you. Good luck and please keep us updated!

Simon

nakulv1

• Mumbai, India, Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 10:41:16 AM »
Planting multiple trees in one hole should work from what I have researched but I will also recommend that you graft one variety onto the other and vice versa in case one of the trees dies on you. Good luck and please keep us updated!

Simon

Both the trees are of the same variety. I wanted to keep both of them for cross pollination. If that wasnt required I wouldve planted both at different locations. There are no soursop or atemoya trees in the locality. Sure I will post progress here. Thank you.
-Nakul

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 11:10:19 AM »
I have two soursop and two atemoya plants. There are no other plants of these fruits in the area. Also I only have two spots in the ground to plant them. Is it okay to plant two of either plants in one spot to facilitate cross pollination it they do need it?(Both are seed grown) Thank you.

This is such a new technique for me and I only started doing it about 3 or 4 years ago. So, I don't have any experience with a final outcome the experiment. But, if your two planting sites are relatively close together, say four or five meters or so, I can't see that it would make any difference as far as pollination is concerned. I would just plant two of the same in each hole. What I think seems to happen eventually is that the root systems join making the plants stronger. I think that's what's happened with some of my plantings. One of my mangosteen plantings has even formed a natural arch graft. But, who knows? I wish I had known about this when I had my apple/peach/pear orchard in North Carolina. Live, take risks, and learn.

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 05:36:33 PM »
i have 2 Feijoa planted about 2 1/2 or maybe 3ft away from each other
so far it hasnt been a problem at all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk