Author Topic: Polyembronic Mango Seed  (Read 1325 times)

Z070305

• Singapore
    • View Profile
Polyembronic Mango Seed
« on: June 09, 2019, 09:34:11 PM »

Hello everyone. I planted this seed around 2 weeks ago and now there are at least 5 visible shoots emerging from the it. I am not sure the thickest one is a stem or root. Question now is, what should I do? Leave it as it is or split the shoots? If it is the latter, how should I go about doing it? Do I pry the seeds apart?

I have intention to keep all the shoots since all but one are clone to the mother tree.

Second question, I have seen videos of Japanese growing Miyazaki mango. All their plants look so stunned, at most 4ft tall. Did they achieve that via grafting?  Any reason why didn't allow the plants to grow into a big tree?

Thank you!!

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Polyembronic Mango Seed
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 09:37:22 PM »

Second question, I have seen videos of Japanese growing Miyazaki mango. All their plants look so stunned, at most 4ft tall. Did they achieve that via grafting?  Any reason why didn't allow the plants to grow into a big tree?

Thank you!!

In Japan they don't want to have to climb ladders, so they will selectively prune any fruit bearing tree to bear within picking height.

mike rule

• karrabin qld australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 03:47:24 AM »
I would leave it alone until leaves harden before spitting up into pots..... Have a better survival rate this way....... Mike

Z070305

• Singapore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 02:21:54 AM »

It turned out that most of the seeds that I have planted are polyembronic, although all except one look like any other normal seed  ;D

I understand that we just need to identify the odd one out and the other seedlings are clone to the parent plant, but what about those with only two seedlings? Is it the faster or slower growing one that is clone of the parent?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 02:23:30 AM by Z070305 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk