Author Topic: The Truth About Kryptonite Mango  (Read 2217 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
The Truth About Kryptonite Mango
« on: June 29, 2019, 06:02:28 PM »
So I’ve spent  5 hours with Richard Campbell between yesterday and today.  Among the storylines, and there were many, he says Kryptonite is Kathy is K-3.

We had one today that was perfectly ripe and excellent.   

Even Sheehan would have eaten it.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: The Truth About Kryptonite Mango
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 06:59:01 PM »
Interesting.
Based on flavor descriptions I wouldn't have guessed that.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 07:17:47 PM »
The Kathys I have had this year have been fantastic. I still favor sweet tart but Kathy is number two for me in the Indochinese profile.

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 07:51:31 PM »
Awesome. Thanks for the info that’s great to know I had a few two weeks ago and they were really good, I would consider a tree if I had the space. I wanted to know where to get it. No one seemed to know what kryptonite was . thanks for the update now I know it’s kathy. He also sells one called Lucille it was delicous taste like a bigger sweet tart. Really tarty and tasty. wonder what the story of that one is . And other one I really enjoyed classic Haden mango like flavor but no fiber or jelly seed one he had called nova.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 09:15:41 PM »
Thanks for the information, this will help people avoid doubling up on trees!

Simon

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 09:08:35 AM »
Thanks that's really helpful

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 10:01:15 AM »
So did he rename it for better branding? Was it his to even re-name? sounds sketchy... I love the Mango by the way!!!
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 10:34:30 AM »
So did he rename it for better branding? Was it his to even re-name? sounds sketchy... I love the Mango by the way!!!

Did some searching on this Forum and seen Kathy was a Zill release!!! Um Kryptonite is definitely a better name for it by far, much better branding as Kathy just sounds incredibly boring for a outstanding Mango... but that wasn't for Dr. Cambell to rename.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 12:32:10 PM »

Did some searching on this Forum and seen Kathy was a Zill release!!! Um Kryptonite is definitely a better name for it by far, much better branding as Kathy just sounds incredibly boring for a outstanding Mango... but that wasn't for Dr. Cambell to rename.

I think the K-3 was actually named by Dr. Campbell first before Zill's decided to release it as Kathy.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2019, 01:09:04 PM »

I think the K-3 was actually named by Dr. Campbell first before Zill's decided to release it as Kathy.
Unfortunately for myself & the general public, most have little to no idea of what the Zill family tree, genealogy, friends list, etc. consists of and would appreciate a Zill flow chart posted to help jog the memory of the named tree variety planted in our yards or talked about on the forums but of course later forgotten the name given by the Zills.... lol... Sad but true...

I do really like Superman's kryptonite name or the Greek Gods or Planets circling the sun much better as easy charts/movies/books available to see to jog the memory for the name of the tree planted.

It's just very hard to remember random peoples names since I do not know all the Zills and Zills Friends & so many choices.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2019, 01:28:32 PM »
Doc Campbell is a grower that selected types from Gary Zill  who is a nurseryman and creater of
most types discussed

So Doc got fruit before Zills was finished with trials so Doc named it before it was ready for the public and named by Zills

I have a kathy bought from Zills so that is what it is