Author Topic: Sad pineapples  (Read 1347 times)

Burkey

• Gympie, Queensland
    • View Profile
Sad pineapples
« on: June 06, 2018, 03:58:07 AM »
Hi guys.
I planted a few pineapple tops a couple of weeks ago. They were looking great as I had them in a big tub together for a few months but now they look very sad. They aren't waterlogged. The only thing I can think is my daughter "helped" me water my plants with fertilizer,  i wasn't going to give them any but she did so maybe fertilizer burn?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
Re: Sad pineapples
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 05:01:42 AM »
roots havn't set in yet, so either the water in the hole is stagnant or it isn't getting enough water. I can see the soil is a bit compacted and with clay, so add some heavy mulch or compost around that and it will help break up the soil and allow the roots to attach.  It's very hard to kill a pineapple, so don't worry too much.

Next time take a stake and just press down to the depth of the core and pull the stick back and forth until you get just the right size, it will give the hole a tight fit and the soil will recompact well around  that core, that will prevent rotting water in the hole, and also the hole from drying out.

Burkey

• Gympie, Queensland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 06:20:06 AM »
Thanks for your reply. Yeah i definitely don't think they are too wet. My lovely daughter also pulled one out and it was perfect moisture. It's just strange as i put some in months ago and they are slowly doing the same thing. The more recent ones have just gone like this faster for some reason. But maybe i didn't water them in enough when i planted them and it was a little warm.
I'll add some more mulch and compost though.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 07:12:23 AM »
probably just getting sunburnt, those leaves dying are most likely the original small leaves from the top, just make sure the new growth is coming out green.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 08:37:57 AM »
Not sure about yours but while I have gotten hundreds of tops from a grocery about 1/2 of them rot in the center I believe this is due to chilling injury at the store. Many which rot in center remain green and eventually sprout small plantlets from adventitious buds, up to 3-4 plants from each one. I am considering just halving/quartering tops to induce these buds to grow but by next year the hundred or so I have managed to get growing will begin making better ratoon planting material.

Burkey

• Gympie, Queensland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 06:14:22 PM »
It was autumn when i planted them here in australia. But it was maybe still 25-30 degrees so possibly.