Author Topic: Wasps As Jujube Pollinators?  (Read 1893 times)

Fiddler

• Florida 9B
    • View Profile
Wasps As Jujube Pollinators?
« on: August 25, 2013, 09:53:58 AM »
When my jujube tree is in full bloom, it swarms with wasps of all shapes, colors, and sizes all day. It is fascinating to watch because I had no idea there were so many wasp varieties around here.
    Unfortunately, honeybees and butterflies seem to have no interest in these jujube flowers. I don't know if moths visit this tree at night or not.
     So, I suppose I must count on wasps for pollination. Lately, I've been disappointed in this tree's yield.
     Can wasps alone get the job done?   

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps As Jujube Pollinators?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 02:52:10 AM »
My Jujubes seem to attract all kinds of pollinators,  mostly bees, but also wasp and ants.   I noticed the flower seems to change its aroma,  I notice two fragrances, one is pleasant similar to citrus blossoms, and the other, is more  "nasty" for lack of a better word.  but not that strong.  my Jujube are the Indian type, not Chinese, I heard other online saying their Jujube flowers smell bad.  so not sure if climate or variety has something to do with it. 

I just remembered I filmed some bees working the flowers.
Growing fruits in containers

at around 1:10 into the clip you can see some bees, I think there were 3 at that time, on different parts of the plant. another small tree not filmed also had some bees.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 02:57:06 AM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 08:48:27 AM »
My Jujubes seem to attract all kinds of pollinators,  mostly bees, but also wasp and ants.   I noticed the flower seems to change its aroma,  I notice two fragrances, one is pleasant similar to citrus blossoms, and the other, is more  "nasty" for lack of a better word.  but not that strong.  my Jujube are the Indian type, not Chinese, I heard other online saying their Jujube flowers smell bad.  so not sure if climate or variety has something to do with it. 

at around 1:10 into the clip you can see some bees, I think there were 3 at that time, on different parts of the plant. another small tree not filmed also had some bees.

Have you found that the ants chase away other pollinators, or do they aid in pollinating themselves?

Fiddler

• Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 08:51:59 AM »
The only jujube variety that seems to be sold here in Southwest Florida is something called the "Thai Giant" and its flowers smell nasty all the time. Fortunately, the fruit are delicious.
   Unfortunately, honeybees won't go near it.  :(

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 11:44:14 AM »

Have you found that the ants chase away other pollinators, or do they aid in pollinating themselves?

not sure I will try and pay attention next time they flower, I think I read somewhere that Jujube can be pollinated by ants as well. my take on the flowers is they emit different aromas to attract different insects.   not sure what variety I have, I know its a cultivar, introduced by the Taiwan experimental station.  they taste just like granny smith apples. 
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk