Author Topic: Florida Mango trees planted in California  (Read 30320 times)

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • Northern California, Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Florida Mango trees planted in California
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2017, 02:00:47 AM »
That’s exactly story of my plants
Baby care then and next session they are dead , lots lot of plant

Last year have 7-8 mango trees from Florida , and 3 Manila seedling , overwinter in garage

Out of that only 1 Florida mango is relatively okay (Maha Chanok ) and 2 are barely surviving

All 3 Manila seedling was in top notch condition, planted 2 in ground already this season

I believe it has to to dump conditions of the soil during the winter times, apparently Florida root stock is not good at it

Simon , did you try to bareroot the florida rootstocks tree and planted in ground , this is just eliminates the possibility of soil around the rootball causing the root rot

Keep us updated with your experiment, probably start doing the grafting for people like us

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2017, 07:18:05 PM »
I find  that If I even try thinking about "barerooting " a mango tree before I put it in the ground .....I end up with a dead mango tree. LOL

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2017, 10:19:22 PM »
I’ve never bare rooted a Florida Turpentine rootstock mango tree before but someone did suggest it to me a while back. As long as the tree is not planted deep, I did not find anything unusual about the soil the Florida potted trees are shipped to us in. I always make sure to have the root flare above ground or at least keeping the first root right at or above soil level.

I’m also afraid of bare rooting Mango trees although I’ve seen several people on this forum(Pugluvr) and another person bringing a Mango tree as carry on luggage, do it.

Simon

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • Northern California, Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2017, 03:00:34 AM »
My guess is that we are stuck with Florida (turpentine) root stock for a while

Unless the big guys in Florida can help us ( California) out with more suitable rootstock

Was in LA 3-4 months ago , and bought 25gal Alphonso and 15gal kesar ( which is dead already ) from champs nursery , and I ask the owner ( forget his name ) , why mangoes from Florida , why not give business to local with Manila rootstocks , he replied that we may not that kind of growth per plant like we got from Florida trees.

Plus the price per plant will be more then what we already paying for Florida one , which is already in crazy range

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2017, 06:31:08 PM »
You can get locally grown on probably better rootstocks. Exotica had 40+ last few times I visited. Not yet the best varieties though.  And yes they are expensive. Comparable with Florida.
Shane

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2017, 09:55:43 PM »
I’ve received so many requests for grafted trees that I may graft a few up for sale if I find some extra time.

Simon

FruitFool

• san diego, ca, USDA zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2017, 01:30:12 AM »
My understanding is that the mango trees at Exotica are from Florida.

-FruitFool

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2017, 01:28:36 PM »
There is plenty of La Verne Manila rootstock all over CA. There is no reason to ship Turpentine rootstock tree's to CA , because it's a waste of time and money in everyones's experience.

The Exotica mango tree's are the result of 6 weeks in FL during Mango season and access to thousands of Mango's for seed. They were processed for seed in Florida 2014 and then sent and planted in CA in a big greenhouse. Some were then grafted.

alangr088

• Los Angeles, Zone 10B Sunset 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2017, 01:36:09 PM »

I got a OKRUNG mango on Turpentine #11 rootstock from Exotica about a year ago....so yes you can find interesting trees at exotica. It has grown a sturdy 16 inches since in the ground last November.

FreshOne

• N. San Diego CA, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2018, 11:47:37 PM »
Manilla/Ataulfo/Champagne are they the same variety? I often see Manilla seedling at HD maybe I'll need to pick up a few this season.

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2018, 05:50:25 AM »
🗯
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:12:09 PM by Frog Valley Farm »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2018, 08:37:54 AM »
Eric, my seed grown Mango trees are the healthiest Mango trees I have. The seedlings show no signs of gummosis or die back and there is hardly any need for staking unless I over fertilize and push growth too hard.

One very important thing to note is that I received word that Lavern Nursery has recently begun receiving shipments of Turpentine rootstock. I’m not sure if they will be sold with a new tag or if they will continue to sell those as Manilla? It would be great if anyone here with connections to Lavern Nursery can confirm or deny this bit of info.

I must reiterate that not all Turpentine rootstocks perform poorly here. Seedling Turpentine rootstocks grow fine for Leo Manuel and I have been experimenting with them since last year and they grow similar to other random seedlings I’ve planted.

Simon

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2018, 02:30:49 AM »
Just a small note: I have barerooted mangos a couple of times with success. It can be done! One was an in-ground tree that had most of the roots chewed off by June bug larvae and the others were seedlings I thought wouldn't make it. Good luck to all. Chris
-Chris

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2018, 07:59:30 AM »
Plant your seed that grows in your area and top worh with a chosen scion.  Might get you to healthy and types you want faster.

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2018, 08:59:40 PM »
Thank you Simon for this great thread.  As a newbie here,  I have been reading this thread a few times over specially since I have been wanting to try my luck at growing mangos here in California.
This thread also just saved me some money as I almost pulled the trigger on buying a few mangos from PlantOGram, which I’m sure are in turpentine rootstock.
The trees I was looking to purchase are Fruit punch, Lemon Zest, and Orange Essence.
Now that I read this,  I will try to find scions from someone here in California and graft to rootstocks that work out here on the west coast.
I’m also willing to experiment to help anyone out in anyway that i can for the benefit of everyone on this forum.... with instruction from the experts here that is.....lol

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2018, 10:31:23 PM »
By the way,  out of curiosity,  Lowe’s sells mangos listed as plant code: L7606.  Is this a Florida mango on terpentine rootstock?  It doesn’t give much info on where it’s from and the kind of mango it is.
Does anyone have any experience with this variety from Lowe’s.  If not a terpentine rootstock,  is it worth grafting onto it?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2018, 11:13:32 AM »
Do you have a picture of the plant tag? If it’s a Florida tree, I would expect it to have the variety tag on it. I know Home Depot sells Manilla trees but I haven’t been to Lowe’s in a long time so I have no idea.

Simon

amberroses

• 10a- Tampa Bay area
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2018, 11:35:22 AM »
Do you have a picture of the plant tag? If it’s a Florida tree, I would expect it to have the variety tag on it. I know Home Depot sells Manilla trees but I haven’t been to Lowe’s in a long time so I have no idea.

Simon

Lowes in Florida usually contracts with local nurseries. Look and see if the nursery  it came from is labeled on the pot. You can call the nursery and ask what type of mango it might be. 

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2018, 12:33:14 PM »

Simon

Hi Simon,

Unfortunately I did not take a picture of the tag.  Stupid me.  I did look at it but can’t remember.  This happened just before I joined the forum.
I went on line,  and it also just states plant code L7606 and has no variety listed. 
I was thinking of just buying it but now that I know terpentine rootstock done do well in Ca.  I’ll save my money. 
I’ll go back soon and take a picture of the tag.  If it’s not a Florida Mango rootstock,  I’ll purchase it.
@amberroses,  good looking out.  I will check for any labels on pot as well .

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 05, 2018, 06:24:43 PM »
For the last couple years, my Florida Turpentine rootstock tree gave me nubbin fruit that we’re small round and fat, many of them also cracked and all of them had an aborted seed. Last Winter I sprayed my tree with Abound and my tree went crazy with blooms. The blooms did not have any Powdery Mildew, in previous years, the panicles were completely covered with PM. I was expecting an excellent fruit set because of the lack of PM but one by one, each of the panicles dried up without setting any fruit. When it was all said and done, I only ended up with 2 Fruit that set in the first bloom.
Here is s picture of the initial blooms.

Pic of when initial blooms all dried up

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2018, 06:36:07 PM »
Here is a picture of one of the LZ Fruit from the first bloom.

The initial LZ bloom only set two fruit but on this same tree, I grafted DOT and Venus and they both set lots of fruit considering it’s a single branch of each variety.
Some Venus Fruit, I’m sure more fruit will fall off.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2018, 06:47:39 PM »
The initial bloom only set two fruit but the weather was cool enough that when I trimmed away the dried up panicles, new, much smaller blooms formed. These secondary blooms are tiny compared to the initial blooms and there are only about ten panicles scattered here and there around the tree but these late blooms seem to have set a ton of baby fruit. Here’s a pic

I’m happy because it appears this will be the first year my tree will be ripening full sized LZ fruit and it appears that late blooms may have better fruit set for some reason. In the future, if my initial Fruit set is non existent or very low, I will likely immediately trim back my tree to hopefully induce a second bloom which will hopefully have a higher fruit set.

On a side note, my LZ grafted onto Lavern Manilla has given me fruit without any spraying for the last 2-3 years but this year, the blooms were infected with Powdery Mildew and I only have about two fruit that set. In previous years, this trees blooms had very little PM.
Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2019, 10:19:29 PM »
Just want to report that this year, My Lemon Zest on LaVern Manilla rootstock does not appear to have set any fruit due to heavy Powdery Mildew infections. This same tree has Kesar and Gary grafted to it and these varieties have set fruit already. Initially, I was hoping to see a pattern that LZ grafted onto LaVern Manilla would be more disease resistant but that is not the case, at least for this year.

This year, my LZ on Florida Turpentine rootstock set a good number of fruit. The first blooms got heavily infested with Powdery Mildew and didn’t set any fruit but as the second blooms started opening up, I sprayed the canopy and flower panicles with water and so far there is some decent fruit set.

I did also get some good initial fruit set on this tree last year but all but one full sized fruit and several nubbins remained after the heat wave we got. The overhead watering may be washing away the PM. PM supposedly does not proliferate well in wet conditions.

Simon

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2019, 02:52:17 AM »
Thanks for all the great info Simon. What’s the best time of day to wash away the PM with the overhead watering you mentioned?
Nate

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2019, 01:53:42 PM »
I didn’t pay attention to when I did the overhead watering, I mostly did it when I got off work in the evenings. I would assume that it’s best to do it early enough so that the canopy has a chance to completely dry out before nighttime or else it could cause issues with fungus that does like moisture.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk