Author Topic: Tropical Apricot seeds  (Read 3536 times)

Tropical Farmer

• Tropical Farmer
    • 11B
    • View Profile
Tropical Apricot seeds
« on: October 28, 2017, 03:27:22 PM »
Hi,

I am not sure of the season for tropical apricot, but I am looking for seeds to purchase in the USA.

Thanks
Jo

monkeyfish

• tampa bay
    • View Profile
Re: Tropical Apricot seeds
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 07:36:41 PM »
Hi, I have a large bush of Dovyalis hybrid here in florida, Dovyalis abyssinica x Dovyalis hebecarpa, though I'm not sure whether or not it has fruits currently.  If not, there will be soon.  It does not have a specific season and does fruit at various times throughout the year.

Tropical Farmer

• Tropical Farmer
    • 11B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 01:00:41 AM »
Hi,

Would love to purchase some seeds from you when available please.

Thanks

Jo

posci35

• Malayu Peninsular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 01:09:33 AM »
Hi, would you mind, follow you.

markinnaples

• United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 01:55:42 AM »
Hi Monkeyfish,  I was going to message you and saw the posts here. Three of the kwai muk seeds you sent have already germinated and I'm pretty sure that more will come up soon,they all still look good. They all arrived in great shape. I'm still interested in the Dovyalis Abyssinica x hebecarpa. Thanks again

dungnguyen

• Vietnam, Hochiminh, Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 03:28:29 AM »
Hi monkeyfish,
I also love to buy some Dovyalis hybrid seeds from you.
Please pm me when seeds available.
Thanks
Dung
Dung

mygc

• Australia, Victoria, Melbourne, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 08:19:17 AM »
Hi monkeyfish, I would also love to buy some Dovyalis hybrid seeds from you.
Thanks
mygc

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 10:57:20 PM »
I too would like to buy some Dovyalis hybrid seeds. Will they keep for a month and still sprout?

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 11:28:56 AM »
Tropical Apricot is a hybrid tree. I don't think the fruits would be identical to the parent tree. Might want to obtain cuttings instead? They'd produce faster as well.
Anisha

monkeyfish

• tampa bay
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 10:30:44 PM »

I will chime in here since I know a little about it. First, Dovyalis seeds will remain viable for 24+ months if properly cleaned and dried and stored, according to:

https://crfg.org/home/library/tidbits/growing-rare-fruit-from-seed/ 

but the problem is that properly cleaning these small seeds is very tedious and time-consuming, which is likely why they are not often found for sale. I wish I knew an easy way.

I had a volunteer seedling growing in my back yard, and since my only true hybrid is in the front yard, this plant could only have been a seedling planted by animals that were browsing the mother plant. It was right on the fence line so it didn't especially bother me. The fruit that it produced was, as far as I could tell, the same as the parent plant. There was no discernible difference in size, shape, color, flavor, or other attribute that I was able to notice. So such could be a general rule, or this specimen could have been an exception to the rule, I have no way of knowing. Its probably reasonable to expect some variability in the fruits of seedlings.

One thing which probably is a general rule, the seedlings will be much more thorny than the parent plant, although there may be some variability in this also. I have pulled out many small seedlings around the mother plant and they all were very thorny. I have read that seedlings start out being thorny and then often 'grow out of it' as they age.

While its true that rooted cuttings are a genuine clone of the parent, and are the recommended propagation method, and will tend to fruit more quickly than a seedling, the seedlings of this tend to grow pretty damn fast, and may well fruit in the second year if they are happy. So not a lot of time is lost waiting for what may ultimately turn out to be inferior fruit.

Another thing I've read is that a seedling may not be self-compatible, and also that male and female flowers may not occur on the same plant. Again, there may be variability in that aspect as well. I have no input on that, but it is worth mention and consideration. 

One other thing, the seedling plant on the chainlink fence grew straight and tall, much more like a tree than a bush.  I never did trim it or prune it in any way, so that habit could likely have been changed. However, the parent plant has not really been trained or pruned either, and it is very much of a bush, wider than it is tall, with many branches and not just a main trunk like its offspring.

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 07:19:11 AM »
All the more interested in seeds from you. Thanks.

bestinjose

• India, Kerala, Ernakulam
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 03:28:21 PM »
I too would like to buy some Dovyalis hybrid seeds. Will they keep for a month and still sprout?

Tropical Apricot layer plants are available in Kerala. My plant got flowers on it in 8 months time.

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 06:58:03 AM »

Tropical Apricot layer plants are available in Kerala. My plant got flowers on it in 8 months time.
Has it set fruit?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk