Author Topic: Pectic enzyme  (Read 4720 times)

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Pectic enzyme
« on: July 11, 2012, 01:14:33 PM »
I've got a pound of the powder form.   Does anyone have experience using this stuff to clean seeds?  If so, how much powder do you use per quantity of H2O?  How long does it take to do the job?  Is it a uniform process or does it vary by species?

Thanks.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Pectic enzyme
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 03:57:37 PM »
Put some in a ziplock bag with water and seeds. Used them for pulasan and durian seeds in Singapore. Not sure of the exact amount of enzyme. Since you have a pound of the stuff just throw a few tbs per set of seeds in a gallon ziplock and see what happens.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 07:31:35 PM »
I've got a pound of the powder form.   Does anyone have experience using this stuff to clean seeds?  If so, how much powder do you use per quantity of H2O?  How long does it take to do the job?  Is it a uniform process or does it vary by species?

Thanks.

Hi Fruitguy, i use pectic enzyme all the time to clean those clingy pulp seeds. Works great on some species, terrible on others. Put the seeds in as small of a bowl as you can, cover with water, then add a teaspoon of pectic enzyme, and mix thoroughly, if you are doing small batch of seeds, like <25 one teaspoon is enough. Most seeds will work after 12 hours. Some very stubborn seeds will need 24-48 hours. Other seeds, like jaboticaba, don't seem to work no matter how long you leave them in there. I carry some of this powder when traveling and use it one day before my return trip to minimize number of hours i spend cleaning seeds in my hotel room.
Oscar

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 08:03:33 PM »
Hey Warren...love your knew forum member photo with your posts!!   :D

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 08:44:27 PM »
I've got a pound of the powder form.

It ought to be fun for you traveling with a pound of white powder.......yeah sure it is pectic enzyme.  Strip search, get the gloves! :o :-X

-Ethan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 08:59:02 PM »
I've got a pound of the powder form.

It ought to be fun for you traveling with a pound of white powder.......yeah sure it is pectic enzyme.  Strip search, get the gloves! :o :-X

-Ethan

I always attach the label of the box to the bag. As long as there as a label attached they seem to believe that it is what it is!
Oscar

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 10:03:56 PM »

Jay, why'd you change your avatar? I know it was an old pic of you, but it was still nice to look at.  ;)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 10:04:37 PM »
I always attach the label of the box to the bag. As long as there as a label attached they seem to believe that it is what it is!

Maybe we can attach the pectic enzyme label to some other white powders...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 01:57:36 AM »

Maybe we can attach the pectic enzyme label to some other white powders...

Probably would work also. I leave you to experiment with that at your own risk. So you want to attach pectic enzyme label to baking soda? HAHAHA
Oscar

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 09:24:59 AM »
Baby powder for his bottom!!  LOL!  Changed the photo because of pervs such as yourself!!  Didn't want to tarnish my pristine reputation.

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 11:14:49 AM »
Hi Fruitguy, i use pectic enzyme all the time to clean those clingy pulp seeds. Works great on some species, terrible on others. Put the seeds in as small of a bowl as you can, cover with water, then add a teaspoon of pectic enzyme, and mix thoroughly, if you are doing small batch of seeds, like <25 one teaspoon is enough. Most seeds will work after 12 hours. Some very stubborn seeds will need 24-48 hours. Other seeds, like jaboticaba, don't seem to work no matter how long you leave them in there. I carry some of this powder when traveling and use it one day before my return trip to minimize number of hours i spend cleaning seeds in my hotel room.

Thanks for the info Fruitlovers!   :)   Looks like I'll need to keep notes.  Damn!

I must have changed it in my sleep.   :o  Luckily the leprachaun didn't put something worse!   :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk