Author Topic: Alphonsea maingayi and Chrysophyllum imperiale -should I plant them?  (Read 3098 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile

A few trees in my yard have volunteered for mulch patrol and left me with space for new trees. I seem to have lots of choices for the few spots I have. I want to plant either paulista,z4 or coronata restingia jaboticaba but am not sure which is best. I want to plant an Annona maybe a big orange or red sugar apple, soncoya or if Duguetias are small enough and have good enough fruit one of those. I have a choice of good chempadaks and maybe one of those.
A chum who grows fruit and who is going away to a cooler climate has offered some plants that I can have. Amongst his impressive collection is Chysophyllum imperial as in the picture above and Alphonsea maingayi. I am concerned that I am too warm for C.imperiale ,its fruit are not that good, they get too big and they have a long juvenile period. I don't know much about Alphonsea maingayi and my main concern is tree size and that it isn't monoeicious.Can anyone advise on this?

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Alphonsea maingayi and Chrysophyllum imperiale -should I plant them?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 04:03:04 AM »
Hey Mike, I'd go for a Z4 and a red Sugar Apple (I believe I've sent you some red chewy seeds sometimes ago?). And a good chemp is always a welcome one to have.
Thera

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 07:09:57 AM »
Thera thanks for the advice. The next generation of red chewies from you is about to pop up and it is the big red Mexican sugar apple I was thinking about.

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 11:30:11 PM »
What about a duku or longkong? Grafted ones obviously.
Thera

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 07:23:39 AM »
Already have those producing fruit Thera. I know you are an Annonaceae whiz so would you plant Duguetia staudtii or D.confinus (which are big enough to be planted) for fruit or stick to American ones?

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 11:11:57 AM »
Where did you get seeds of C. imperiale?  I've been really hoping to try it here because I think our climate might be just right.

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 09:13:18 PM »
Already have those producing fruit Thera. I know you are an Annonaceae whiz so would you plant Duguetia staudtii or D.confinus (which are big enough to be planted) for fruit or stick to American ones?
You could never have enough of duku, Mike!
I don't know much about Dugetias, I've decided to focus mainly on superior Annonas and specifically red sugar apple. No time for others. A thai friend once had a D. Staudtii which he planted in the Bangkok area because the fruit looks like a mini durian but the tree died right after the first blossom. That cut short my adventure into the genus Duguetia.
Thera

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 10:21:06 PM »
I’m growing all in
Longkong
Lanzones
Duku

mygc

• Australia, Victoria, Melbourne, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 12:38:06 AM »
Hi Mike,
Do you know if your friend has any other Chrysophyllum imperiale plants?
I'm keen on getting one, located down south in Melbourne - they survive here without added heating.
Cheers
Marcus

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 04:09:20 AM »
Marcus he just had one and I graciously agreed to relieve him of it. I didn't ask the source. I had seeds before from Sydney and Brazil and non germinated.
Thera I have a big duku 3 longkongs and a duku-langsat.Do you know what the orange skinned sugar apple might be like? Here is a tough question, how good are Annona stenophylla , A.senegalensis or Hexalobus monopetalus. I am looking as possibly sticking some of those in the ground.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 07:41:56 AM »
Hi Mike,
I'm keen on getting one, located down south in Melbourne - they survive here without added heating.
Cheers
Marcus

I believe there are many Chrysophyllum imperiale trees at Royal botanic garden in Sydney, so you might be able to get seeds (maybe seedlings?) from them.

https://gardendrum.com/2015/08/09/chrysophyllum-imperiale-a-right-royal-tree/
Moh'd

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 08:07:12 PM »
...Do you know what the orange skinned sugar apple might be like? ...
There are a number of orange skinned sugar apple varieties out there, if the one you're talking about is from my seeds, then this is what I got from my singaporian friend "...the fruit is more roundish than oval heart shape. The flesh tends to be on the chewy side but not as chewy as a Na Dai. The flavor is typical sugar apple flavor with a bit of banana after taste."
This is not a red sugar apple, so I'm guessing the seeds would be true to type. I don't want to speculate on the origin as my friend wasn't sure either.

...Here is a tough question, how good are Annona stenophylla , A.senegalensis or Hexalobus monopetalus. I am looking as possibly sticking some of those in the ground.
Yes, really tough question so my answer is really easy. I don't have any experience on any of these. Living in So Cal kind of limits a lot of what you could grow from the Annona genus. Once I retire like Frank but in a few years for me, I'd be able to try all these in SE Asia. Then, I could catch up with you and the newly retiree Frank. :)
Thera

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 05:31:50 AM »
Thera that is good information. Do you have red sugar apples besides red chewies?

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 07:56:00 AM »
Hi,

The Chrysophyllum imperiale, is highly recalcitrant the seeds, I harvested some fruits and few seeds germinated, mainly those that I ate the fruits under the tree, these germinated weak, the ones that I kept the fruit and sowed in the moment of cleaning of the pulp, they germinated almost 90 percent, the taste of the fruit is good, I liked it, I can not say about the botanic garden of other countries, but the wild trees that I visited were huge, and the fruit eagerly predated by birds and monkeys.

Here on the farm I have them from 3 different places, from a commercial nursery, and two variations of collections in the forest of Minas Gerais, I did not eat the variety of the commercial nursery, which comes from rio de janeiro, but I believe it to be similar.

It is a tree that needs a lot of space, and here at the farm, they are loving the weather!

Hi Mike,
Cheers
Marcus

I believe there are many Chrysophyllum imperiale trees at Royal botanic garden in Sydney, so you might be able to get seeds (maybe seedlings?) from them.

https://gardendrum.com/2015/08/09/chrysophyllum-imperiale-a-right-royal-tree/
Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 09:35:03 PM »
Thera that is good information. Do you have red sugar apples besides red chewies?

Check your PM, Mike, but dingaling might be able to help you out.
Thera

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 09:11:31 AM »
Marcus he just had one and I graciously agreed to relieve him of it. I didn't ask the source. I had seeds before from Sydney and Brazil and non germinated.
Thera I have a big duku 3 longkongs and a duku-langsat.Do you know what the orange skinned sugar apple might be like? Here is a tough question, how good are Annona  , A.senegalensis or Hexalobus monopetalus. I am looking as possibly sticking some of those in the ground.

Mike, A. senegalensis is a beautiful midsized tree (like an appletree), good taste but with numerous small seeds. A. stenophylla is a dwarf and will therefore fit in many places. Never tasted it, but rumoured to be in the top of Annona fruits.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda