Author Topic: Best Location To Grow Fruit Trees In SW Florida ?  (Read 2958 times)

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
Best Location To Grow Fruit Trees In SW Florida ?
« on: April 11, 2016, 04:18:02 PM »
Hello Gang;

A lot of you know that iv been Aiming to relocate to The West-Coast Of Florida, Specifically Naples, I Great Job offer has been presented to me, and it involves of relocating to the West Coast Of FL, I will be working From Tampa-Naples-Miami.

So I need to locate the Best School Zones For the WC Of Florida And Safe Neighborhoods for my Family.
If i accept the Job This Friday, Them I will have to Sale my home In St Augustine & Start Shopping In The West Coast, The Home Across the street from my home is 200 sq feet smaller than mine & just recently sold for almost 50% more than what i paid for mine ;), Sold In 1 Month Time, Its in a very desirable area with one of the best school Zones In The State, St Johns County.

I Absolutely need to enroll my little girls in the best schools possible.
So its going to be a interesting Voyage , But looking Forward to move down 1 or 2 Zones ;)..

All My fruit trees will stay with the home ! , I will plant new ones..
Thanks for your help.
Ed
Zone 10

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Best Location To Grow Fruit Trees In SW Florida ?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 04:47:39 PM »
Just look for 2 things: deep and well draining soil (aka deep sand), and as close to the coast as possible to avoid issues with humidity. Coastal palm beach county is great. Not sure about west coast areas.

Too far inland, and you will struggle with fungus. If the house only has 6 inches of soil before you hit limestone rock, you'll constantly be fighting nutritional deficiencies.
Jeff  :-)

ftmyersfruit

• Lee County Florida 33907
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 05:01:06 PM »
Where I live in central Lee is great for growing just about anything. It is about half way between Tampa and Miami and I have no idea about schools, but its great for anything else. Anything South Fort Myers to Naples is great so long as you are west of the interstate.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 05:23:54 PM »
Thanks everyone !ots is serious home work to do these up coming weeks , but we are happy we are getting close to live in a warmer area than where we currently live , going too miss our home ! It's a great house ..

Thanks Ed
Zone 10

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 06:05:29 PM »
I thought you had already posted this last year or so but maybe it was someone else...anyways, its a no brainer...Bokeelia, Pine Island.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 10:43:17 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

ftmyersfruit

• Lee County Florida 33907
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 06:07:47 PM »
Pine Island is great, but not if you have to commute the 20-45 minutes off the island each way every day to the interstate.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 07:16:40 PM »
So definitely find out about the schools, and try to locate west of I-75.
John

Robdallek

• USA FL Fort Myers 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 07:57:13 PM »
I agree with Rob---best location is Pine Island, but the NW Cape Coral area is just across the water from there and enjoys fine breezes most of the year.  Lots are mostly 1/4 acre but you can get a couple next to each other to increase the size, or even buy an extra lot next to an existing house. PM me for more info.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 09:56:43 PM »
If you are interested in the Bokeelia area I can give advice.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 10:01:37 PM »
I agree with Rob---best location is Pine Island, but the NW Cape Coral area is just across the water from there and enjoys fine breezes most of the year.  Lots are mostly 1/4 acre but you can get a couple next to each other to increase the size, or even buy an extra lot next to an existing house. PM me for more info.
Good schools?
John

Robdallek

• USA FL Fort Myers 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 07:10:45 AM »
Lee County has school choice so there is some ability to select the schools with specialty programs and higher ratings.  Good sports programs and academics at most area high schools.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 08:37:36 AM »
Nokomis just south of Sarasota has a lot of plusses.   You can find some higher ground not far from the beach.  Small town, has its own public beach with lifeguard. Casey Key is the island at Nokomis.   

Between Venice and Sarasota in Sarasota county, Nokomis is what you are looking at when you look across the pass from Venice.    Lots of places to eat you can go to by boat.   

You have the culture of Sarasota if that is needed and closer to Tampa if you have to commute.

Trade off is cooler temps than the further south location of Naples.    Worth a look if you are through the area. 

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 10:04:51 AM »
Wow so many choices ! , Yes i will be commuting big time up & down the west coast of Florida Naples-Tampa .

I will be taking 2 weeks off before i start to scout the above listed locations, Man its such a pain in the A%#** To Move again !..
But it will be worth it ;)..

Thanks for all your help !
Ed
Zone 10

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 11:13:15 AM »
Pine Island is where you find many fruit orchards and decent nurseries. That ought to tell you something. There is only one mainland access road however.
Richard

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk