Author Topic: Visiting South Florida April - Where are the fruit?  (Read 7995 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting South Florida April - Where are the fruit?
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2013, 09:54:58 PM »
Thank you for clarifying that.  There is one other fruit that was mentioned to me by its local name but the name now escapes me.

Thanks to all who offers suggestions on this.  My trip was far too busy to take advantage of anything beyond the Miami beach whole foods (where i got some nice Mamey sapotes for $6.99 a pound, ataulfo and Madame Francis mangoes).   Alas, next time at least I have some other reference points to scope out.  For the minute (well less than 25 hours) I was in Barbados, it looked good.  Mangoes are coming into season (I had no time to get anything locally) and there were plenty of breadfruits.  I saw some sugar apples here and there and had a local describe some of the other fruits which were unfamiliar to me "(duncs" anyone?)

Dunks is Ziziphus mauritiana, also known as Indian Jujube here. Definitely one of my favorite fruit. The ones that you can find in the Caribbean are usually not as good as the grafted variety from Thailand that is found in the US. The trees in Caribbean are also full of thorns and the fruit are usually much smaller.

Richard Primbs

• Escondido, California Zone 10
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting South Florida April - Where are the fruit?
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2013, 07:54:39 PM »
I have heard that other Japanese mandarins are very similar, and easier to get here in the US.  I guess I will have to try a dekopon and compare it with other varieties to see if it really is that much better.