Author Topic: I.D. Green Sapote ??  (Read 3078 times)

pschill444@aol.com

• springvalley ca.
    • View Profile
I.D. Green Sapote ??
« on: September 21, 2015, 09:15:36 AM »
hi guy's hop you can help, about 2 weeks ago i bought 5 # 7fruits of green sapote thought to make a nice pie, 1 ripened yesterday , the others are still hard as rocks, so i cut open the one to eat , it was not what i was hopeing for, the skin was solid green the flesh was white and very wet looking , with 4 very large white seeds the shape of a sue bell white sopota but twice the size  the fruit was not good at all made my wife eat most of it, NOW what i was hoping 4 was something with orange flesh 1 brown to black seed and the taste of sweet potato that i could use in a sweet potato pie recipe , now the question dose anyone have a clue as to what i have ?    Thanks       Patrick

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: I.D. Green Sapote ??
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 10:41:33 AM »
White sapote with green skin?

Does the shape look correct for green sapote? It should have a pointy flower end. Maybe a ring of rough skin around the point.

pschill444@aol.com

• springvalley ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 01:55:03 PM »
Hello Fang yes it dose outside skin look like whats on the w.w.w. the slightly pointy  end also has a 5 point star Depression on it .      Patrick

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 04:46:30 PM »
5 point star depression sounds like white sapote. Some people on the web mix up the different kinds of sapotes and post the wrong photos.
Anyway, here are photos from Oscar in this forum of his green sapote. The color inside is just what you thought it should be.

pschill444@aol.com

• springvalley ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 04:45:26 AM »
thanks  Fang i bought these at specialty produce  i will call them back,  do you know when the season is for green sapote ?     Patrick

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 01:55:18 PM »
I'm not sure when the season is. Maybe they made a mistake. It can be hard for them to tell if they haven't seen one before or it's only available once a year.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 03:08:08 AM »
That pic of Oscar's is almost bordering on being controversial.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 03:53:14 AM »
That pic of Oscar's is almost bordering on being controversial.
Hey Mike, took you 5 years to notice that?  :D Yes some of my fruit photos need parental guidance.  ;)
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 04:20:59 AM »
Hahaha Oscar yeah I sure am slow and that is a helluva picture. I was younger then and I'm more seasoned now.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 05:49:16 PM »
Hahaha Oscar yeah I sure am slow and that is a helluva picture. I was younger then and I'm more seasoned now.
I do a photo like that once in a great while...when i get bored. :-[ BTW, nice to have you posting in the forum again. Wonder why you switched your member ID?
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 06:29:41 PM »
Heya Oscar. I got robbed twice and lost phone, photos and passwords. Just couldn't remember my password and started again. My new work in past management of yellow crazy ants keeps me really busy even in my own time. I kinda just jump on here and do a blitz of comments fast when before I had time and could be more 'carefree' and fun.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 06:32:29 PM »
Heya Oscar. I got robbed twice and lost phone, photos and passwords. Just couldn't remember my password and started again. My new work in past management of yellow crazy ants keeps me really busy even in my own time. I kinda just jump on here and do a blitz of comments fast when before I had time and could be more 'carefree' and fun.
Sorry to hear that Mike. Was wondering why you disappeared for so long! Glad to have you back aboard again.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 06:39:37 PM »
Thanks Oscar and it would be good to take the time and chat to comrades properly. Even now I am thinking about reports I should be doing for Monday and work to catch up on. It's just a busy time and I will contribute properly again soon and try to lay some good 'discoveries' on people and share some fruit stuff before too long. There is so much going on in the world of fruit and so many new things to share.