Author Topic: Eugenia uniflora surinam cherry blackstar fruited first time Boca  (Read 11224 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: Eugenia uniflora surinam cherry blackstar fruited first time Boca
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 05:36:38 PM »
A neighbor has both kinds Surinam red and black. A few winters ago the red one had a bumper crop of larger ones with a very high percentage that were sweet. I think the winter cool-cold weather did this. If you can pick the red ones just right and a little too ripe...a darker red....then 80-90% are sweet with a few astringent duds

His black bush is sweet. Definitely sweeter than the more common red fruit..... I collected seeds. I can sell some for not too much if people express interest. PM me.
All I know is it  is black sweet fruit from the black variety. Is it Zill black? Prolly not. The larger black fruits are 3/4 inch and sometimes larger
I am planting many black seeds to sprout right now
Blacks ones also should be picked as black as possible, as ripe as possible to  ensure sweetness

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2014, 11:49:42 PM »
Zand, thankyou for updating us on your local selections. My shinobi brought me a Zill surinam from excalibur over the weekend.  There were twenty fruits in various stages of ripeness.  I ate a few & the taste were all over the map.  I was not impress, maybe it spend too much time in the shade at nursery. So in a month time, I should have a good shoot out between Zill vs Blackstar, the dual of the hedge fruit will settle which cultivar will end up fencing a 10 acres lot in Royal Palm. 

I want to grow enough to make juice & make some wine without any resinous taste from superior strains.
I am definitely in a hunt right now for the largest surinam with the best taste, so keep your eyes sharp, ear within spying distance of anyone that has one in their backyard.  My wife think I am crazy spending my weekend visiting office complexes & abondone homes to checkout surinam; the sniper in me could not help it!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 12:05:01 AM by Coconut »
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2014, 12:02:28 AM »
Confused.. is the concensus that the seeds don't come true or what?  A kind member mailed me seeds of Zill's black a while back, and wondering whether I'll need to graft them? 

Yes, there could be some variations, but it's better to grow a seed from a good fruit.

A black e. uniflora seed has a 80% chance of producing a black fruit, the other 20% will be orange or red.

So perhaps it is best to plant 3 or 4, then surely at least one should be black, and normaly 3 of 4 would be black.

huertasbananas thank for the genetic observance, I too saw one of my blackstar did not turn black, it turn a really dark purple crimson, but not true black like the other ten black star seedlings.  Well after tasting fruit of the ten black all grown in full sun not shade.  The taste were consistent I had a hard time distinguish which one is the best Odessa wine.

Right now I dont have enough seeds to give to all Peace Corps Volunteers, Japanese Oversea Volunteers; rest assure you folks in the development arena, I will make available whatever superior strains I have in my seed vault; so you can help the villagers increase their children better Nutrition in Africa or whereever the needs are! ;)
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀