Author Topic: Mango Reviews  (Read 283536 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Reviews
« Reply #600 on: July 30, 2015, 06:51:16 PM »
Phoenix tree characteristics is unknown at this time.  This has not yet been propagated at this time.
- Rob

clannewton

• Brevard County, Melbourne , FL 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: July 30, 2015, 11:48:10 PM »
Had my first lemon zest today. Awesome!  It came off the tree as I was attempting to put some caging material arround it to protect it from the squirrels.  I was afraid it would not ripen correctly, but after a few days on the counter it softened and turned color.  That overtone of sweet lemon was great.  I have two left on the tree and hope they ripen longer on the tree as I hope to taste some of the orange overtones described by other posters about tree ripened lemon zests.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: July 31, 2015, 12:31:39 AM »
Had my first lemon zest today. Awesome!  It came off the tree as I was attempting to put some caging material arround it to protect it from the squirrels.  I was afraid it would not ripen correctly, but after a few days on the counter it softened and turned color.  That overtone of sweet lemon was great.  I have two left on the tree and hope they ripen longer on the tree as I hope to taste some of the orange overtones described by other posters about tree ripened lemon zests.

Don't be dismayed if you don't get the orange taste this year, your tree's first fruiting year. The first year of fruiting can be a transition year with fruits that are not 100% representative. Scrape the skin to find some of the orangey tastes. No guarantee of course!                         Hanging longer should give you more orangey flavors. Lemon coming with the less ripe.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 12:40:53 AM by zands »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: July 31, 2015, 12:36:32 AM »

Champing is the original. I accept no arriviste substitutes. Here's hoping you use champing in conversation.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 06, 2015, 08:49:21 PM »
I purchased a Providence mango from Walter Zill in Boynton Beach.  The variety seems to have Kent parentage, as it resembles Kent in appearance and also has a thick skin.  The flavor reminds me of Kent, as well, but a little more tart.  The flesh has a little fiber.  Walter says it is not a heavy producer.  All in all, it's a very pleasant tasting fruit and is in the running for my late variety.
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 06, 2015, 09:00:05 PM »
Providence does not really have fiber although it is a littke firmer than many.  Its not a super producer but Walter seems to downplay its abilities at times for some reason.   It does produce a decent number of fruit especially considering the fruit size is in th 1.5 - 2 pound average.   If you let it ripen up fully it loses most of that tart component.   Most people who dont know the fruit eat it gefore it is at its best.

Also,  so you know, it is not a true late variety.   It should be harvested by early to mid August or it tends to be prone to the seed sprouting within the fruit.

Dont get me wrong, its a very good variety,  you just need to be aware of its quirks, tendencies and qualities.
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: August 07, 2015, 08:36:01 AM »
Thanks, Rob.  Very useful information, as always.
John

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: August 09, 2015, 09:23:56 AM »

Champing is the original. I accept no arriviste substitutes. Here's hoping you use champing in conversation.

Thanks, Zands.  Arriviste is a new word for me; I love it.  And I had somehow lapsed to the dark side re chomp versus champ.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: August 09, 2015, 10:05:06 AM »
Thanks, Zands.  Arriviste is a new word for me; I love it.  And I had somehow lapsed to the dark side re chomp versus champ.

Thanks...at least you picked up on it so that my efforts were not entirely wasted. Its a good word.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: August 10, 2015, 10:12:18 AM »
Had a chance to taste 40-33 due to a generous forumite. The specimen had some areas of uneven ripening and shape was that of a smaller Edwards. The ripe areas tasted very sweet with an ultra fine but dense flesh. It was very pleasant and it taste like sugar cane. I thought it tasted a bit like Southern Blush or Beverly mangoes I had this season- and low and behold it's a Kent x Beverly cross.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: August 10, 2015, 10:36:45 AM »
Had a chance to taste 40-33 due to a generous forumite. The specimen had some areas of uneven ripening and shape was that of a smaller Edwards. The ripe areas tasted very sweet with an ultra fine but dense flesh. It was very pleasant and it taste like sugar cane. I thought it tasted a bit like Southern Blush or Beverly mangoes I had this season- and low and behold it's a Kent x Beverly cross.

Unfortunately I feel some of these have been picked too early to basically get the fruit off the tree (I have seen some recently that were just way too underripe, the ones from a few weeks ago were far better) which may have led to your description.  You sure about the parentage?  I will double check when I get home but for some reason that does not sound right (I am going by memory so I may be wrong).
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #611 on: August 10, 2015, 10:39:59 AM »
My suspicions were correct, it is a Kent x Gary.
- Rob

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: August 10, 2015, 10:41:00 AM »
Got the parentage from this thread. Last post.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=3858.msg66721#msg66721
Would still like reconfirmation of the parentage tho.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: August 10, 2015, 11:15:19 AM »
I have a list that was prepared by Gary and it shows its Kent x Gary.
- Rob

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: August 11, 2015, 06:48:29 PM »
40-33 yes, I would own that tree. I located a couple fruits this weekend and was pleasantly surprised because it looked like it was picked a bit too green. Firm flesh the taste was reminiscence of an Orange Tootsie Pop or Orange Lifesaver. I
I had the other one today or one day later and really soft, no orangey flavor it was sweet and smooth but twice I found a hint of coconut. I think I need a bushel of 40-33  :D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 09:03:03 PM by strkpr00 »

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #615 on: August 17, 2015, 10:06:47 AM »
I got the chance to taste several new  mangos over the last couple weeks, mostly from Zill.
I imagine most of these would be considered "late" season.

I lost my notes but remember that Little Jim wasn't good; it was spongy, though, so may have been picked too early?
Most of the others were very nice, full-flavored. One had a taste that reminded me of the aspect of Graham that I don't like.
Several had some of that "starchy" sensation on the tongue that I like.

The last one, C-18, had languished in the fridge, and gotten a bit wrinkled.
Maybe because I hadn't eaten any mangos in several days, but I found it to be delicious, sparkling, very sweet plus acid component.

Sorry, not enough details to be useful. But I'm happy that there are some new, delicious mangos to make August in Florida wonderful.
Pictured below.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 17, 2015, 10:17:04 AM »
C-18 is Edgar.
- Rob

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #617 on: August 17, 2015, 12:41:34 PM »
Just for curiosity , how long do Mangos produce fruits in Florida...I mean, from the early cultivars to the latest one ? Are there cultivars that flower two times for year?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #618 on: August 17, 2015, 02:00:28 PM »
Just for curiosity , how long do Mangos produce fruits in Florida...I mean, from the early cultivars to the latest one ? Are there cultivars that flower two times for year?

I would term the 'regular season' as typically beginning in March for the earliest stuff along the coastal regions(Rosigold, Rosa, Edward, etc) , with interior fruit starting later, and finishing in September for the latest ()Keitt and Neelam), some years some fruits make it into October. The season peaks between May and August.

A number of varieties will throw off-season bloom, typically southeast Asian descended cultivars but I've had Indian, Egyptian and Florida varieties do it to on rare occasion. Chokanon is the most famous for this but Thai Everbearing does it frequently as well (and tastes much better). Nam Doc Mai and others too. This is irregular though.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 02:02:27 PM by Squam256 »

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 17, 2015, 02:13:06 PM »
C-18 is Edgar.

Thanks Rob. I bet the mangos from my Edgar will be much prettier, and just as delicious.  ;D

Today I tried Little Gem, which I'm guessing is the same as Little Jim.  Still didn't like it.

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 20, 2015, 12:03:06 PM »
On Sunday I ate a nice, prime Kent off my friends' tree. It is the tiniest Kent tree I've ever seen - due to it being planted in a very shady spot completely surrounded by tall trees.  This tree was over 20' tall - had a ~6" trunk -  and had a "canopy" about 6' tall and 4' wide - roughly like a 25g tree.

It was much tastier than the earlier season July Kent's I've had before - those were more of a yellow color and had firmer flesh, with a tart component. This mid-August specimin was had very deep orange flesh, soft, juicy enough to stain my shirt and far tastier than the early Kents. It was all sweet and mango-y, no tart or spicy It was not as good as the Honey Kiss but it was a very good mango (for this time of year) that gave more respect for the Kent variety.

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 20, 2015, 10:30:49 PM »
thumbs up on the mango VENUS, full flavor sweet. Glad I found a tree. looking for more fruit in the future.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 21, 2015, 05:32:09 PM »
When we were at Walter Zill's, the ladies were talking to my girlfriend about a new type they liked.   Didn't catch the number but they wanted to call it frangipangi due to it taste like the smell of the flower.

Any idea if that is a type already mentioned or yet another new type.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 21, 2015, 05:38:16 PM »
When we were at Walter Zill's, the ladies were talking to my girlfriend about a new type they liked.   Didn't catch the number but they wanted to call it frangipangi due to it taste like the smell of the flower.

Any idea if that is a type already mentioned or yet another new type.

Unfortunatley that is a new one on me.  I can ask Verna if she remembers.  Was it one that was there that you sampled?
- Rob

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 24, 2015, 02:37:59 PM »
No sample.  The lady helping Verna  was raving about it and Verna agreed it was pretty good.  It had no name yet and they were still using the letter and number for it.  It was the helper that was suggesting Frangipani as a possible name.