Author Topic: Yuzu lemon question  (Read 1253 times)

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
  • 10A, 1.3 mi. from the coast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
Yuzu lemon question
« on: September 16, 2019, 07:46:15 PM »
Does Yuzu lemon holds its fruit after they are ripen or as soon as they are ripe they drop?
Zone Pusher

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Yuzu lemon question
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 01:00:45 AM »
I don't know the answer to that question, but (zone 10 ) my tree ripened in December and held its fruit to late January. The fruit started getting very ripe, probably overly ripe, the color of the fruit almost became orange, or at least a very orange-yellow, and the peel started getting noticeably loose.

The fruit start getting more sweet, and somewhat less sour, when they are overripe, but they also start becoming a little dry inside. It's not a fruit most people would want to eat out of hand anyway, so there's no point letting it get overripe.

I know that Nanshodaidai (C. taiwanica) can stay hanging on the tree for a very long time, maybe almost a year after they are ripe, that's in fact where the Japanese name derives from. (Though that variety is more ornamental and has worse taste than Yuzu)

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
  • 10A, 1.3 mi. from the coast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 07:00:53 AM »
Thank you for the answer. The fruits on my tree are starting to color up now. Will let some hang and see how long they hold up.
Zone Pusher

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 01:41:45 PM »
This might be useful to you. I just came across this while doing some research and suddenly remembered your unanswered question here.

The Ichandarin 'Liudmila' section on Citrus Pages website (by Jorma Koskinen) says:
"The fruit and taste are quite similar to yuzu but whereas yuzu drops its fruit quite early the fruit of 'Liudmila' stay on for a long time."

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 03:36:31 PM »
Good find and answer to Jungle Yard's question