Author Topic: coconuts  (Read 1114 times)

tirandaz

• USA,FL,Grant,10a
    • View Profile
coconuts
« on: January 13, 2021, 11:02:24 PM »

Hi , Could someone identify this problem and recommend remedy
These are young coconuts dropping off  prematurely from the tree with fisher and in 2 weeks time they appear as seen in the picture

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
Re: coconuts
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 10:48:08 PM »
I saw it happening to a palm in the park. But it also gives regular coconuts. It s the tree mature. .? I saw many trees that produce more fruit that they can keep it on the tree until they are ripe.
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

tirandaz

• USA,FL,Grant,10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 11:23:11 PM »
I saw it happening to a palm in the park. But it also gives regular coconuts. It s the tree mature. .? I saw many trees that produce more fruit that they can keep it on the tree until they are ripe.
These coconut trees are 4-5 yrs old. I am concerned about the brown fissuring/ splitting  in the husk of the coconut leading to the stalk and causing them to fall

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 11:42:44 PM »
Yes maybe somebody else With more experience can help you.  Hopefully they will bear normal coconut in the future
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 08:22:56 AM »
Look into coconut mites. They affect young nuts and live under the perianth where the damge appears to begin in your photo. Maybe improve nutritional status and remove all flowers for a while to remove habitat. Check neighboring coconut trees and compare.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 11:56:17 AM »
I get this happening on mine but I attributed it to cold weather and possibly exposure from over pruning. I am zone pushing here and growing them out of the the way into an overstory so I over prune the fronds. Does it happen during the warm seasons?
-Josh

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 09:53:42 AM »
Look into coconut mites. They affect young nuts and live under the perianth where the damge appears to begin in your photo. Maybe improve nutritional status and remove all flowers for a while to remove habitat. Check neighboring coconut trees and compare.
Agree. Eriophyid mite (Aceria guerreromis ). That brownish halo at the edge of the perianth an button. Ceamy white mite is so small you need a magnifying lens to see it. The husks develop cuts and cracks. You could ask State's Agricultural Department for solving this problem and remedy in your zone.

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 09:59:20 AM »
Agree. Eriophyid mite (Aceria guerreromis ). That brownish halo at the edge of the perianth an button. Ceamy white mite is so small you need a magnifying lens to see it. The husks develop cuts and cracks. You could ask State's Agricultural Department for solving this problem and remedy in your zone.
Few days ago over the phone I got this information from my 89 years old elder brother who cultivates few hundred coconut trees in his Estate.