Author Topic: Should I let this mango fruit  (Read 1073 times)

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
Should I let this mango fruit
« on: February 02, 2021, 12:27:49 AM »
This is my cotton candy mango tree in Scottsdale,  AZ.  Been in ground 3 full years.  I have not let it bloom, as it was not that large when I purchased it.  Is it large enough to let it fruit this year, or wait?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Should I let this mango fruit
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 12:37:23 AM »
wait, not big enough to hold fruit and be okay

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 07:51:36 AM »

I would wait another year at least, and feed it plenty of nitrogen as well. CC is a moderate grower, but the tree should have grown more in three years.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 10:11:46 AM »
I am going to guess there are a number of issues with this tree.  Location to the house, location grown (Arizona), care (water, nutrients,  etc.).  The stems/branches are very thin and allowing it to fruit would most likely be detrimental.   From what I can see, the leaf color is not that great either.
- Rob

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 11:27:23 AM »
This is my cotton candy mango tree in Scottsdale,  AZ.  Been in ground 3 full years.  I have not let it bloom, as it was not that large when I purchased it.  Is it large enough to let it fruit this year, or wait?

Your neighbor's sugarcanes are doing well enough to say that you so shouldn't have problem with growing a mango tree.
 Is your tree facing the South East? Did you consider staking it?  Comment above by 'bsbullie' is noteworthy. Good luck.

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 11:58:41 PM »
It should have plenty of water.  It is facing north.  I cannot plant anything facing south, as that is my front lawn and HOA will not allow a mango to be planted.
Soul isn't the best, that area used to be 100% concrete patio that i busted out.  Soil is heavy clay and more than likely alkaline, like the rest of Phoenix metro.

chris1

• Brevard county, Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 07:50:42 PM »
It should have plenty of water.  It is facing north.  I cannot plant anything facing south, as that is my front lawn and HOA will not allow a mango to be planted.
Soul isn't the best, that area used to be 100% concrete patio that i busted out.  Soil is heavy clay and more than likely alkaline, like the rest of Phoenix metro.

Facing north does it get full sunlight during the days there? Ultimate fertilizer for mangos is nothing more than water and sunlight. If it doesn’t get full sunlight you will have trouble with that tree. Also is very close to the house and that is far from ideal. To be honest I would replant it farther from the house. If you plan to keep it there it will need some serious care until it is reaching full sunlight during the day. 

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 08:57:09 PM »

Facing north does it get full sunlight during the days there? Ultimate fertilizer for mangos is nothing more than water and sunlight. If it doesn’t get full sunlight you will have trouble with that tree. Also is very close to the house and that is far from ideal. To be honest I would replant it farther from the house. If you plan to keep it there it will need some serious care until it is reaching full sunlight during the day.

All a mango needs is sun and water?  Not the greatest of advice.
- Rob

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 02:31:39 AM »

I have the opposite view: for young mango trees the best location is partial shake (early morning sun and shade after 12pm). In native hot tropical places, we rarely see young seedlings doing well in open full sun; most growing under shade of taller canopy.

I think the root cause of this tiny 3-year grafted tree is the root stock from FL. I had similar issue at the beginning of my mango growing trials, then I learned the best way is to grow my own seedlings from Kent and other varieties seeds, then wait for the trees to have at least one fruits season before top off and graft.

Some of my best looking seedlings were planted at North-East along the house exterior wall got protection from the hot summer sun. When they are taller than the roof then they will get full sun -- just like wild mangoes in the forest.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 02:36:12 AM by sapote »

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 10:19:28 PM »
That was my thinking.  Also, I have a townhouse, my yard is tiny.  In summer, it gets a lot of sun.  In winter, it is shaded.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk