Author Topic: Update on Russells Sweet Garcinia  (Read 39235 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Update on Russells Sweet Garcinia
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2013, 06:09:13 AM »
Y'all wait till your Mexican Garcinia start fruiting , when you'll have a totally ripe one I wanna hear the comments .....

I was able to eat a lot of  G. dulcis in Lancetilla ( all seedless unfortunately ) they were not that ' DULCIS ' so I wondered why they gave it that name .

Being a Garcinia fanatic , put me on the list for seeds of the Russells , Mike , if they ever become available .

Yes Mike is right. There are different versions of G. dulcis, and some have a lot more dulcis than others.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2013, 05:19:52 PM »
One of the reasons for the mistake with Russells sweet, that males were not needed is that a couple of grafted trees (with overgrown male rootstock) had masses of large fruit to the extent that branches were breaking.The overgrown male rootstocks were overlooked.The taste keeps being described as like an excellent peach and unlike other Garcinias.While I have a 3 feet high female I have lined up either a grafted male or a bit of a male to graft onto the one I have.

With regard to G.dulcis, I found it hard to tell apart sour dulcis and line of G.xanthochymus from the fruit appearance and flavor.

kgknight

• southeast florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2014, 06:51:27 PM »
Hey Mike,
Any updates on your quest to get a male tree? I just found this thread so I am curious as to where you left off?  it sounds very exciting though

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2014, 06:55:17 PM »
Been waiting anxiously on this one also. So long that they're starting to take on mythic proportions. HAHA
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2014, 08:16:38 PM »
To follow Oscar's line:

Like a mirage or shape in the fog, the closer I get to real seeded fruit or a male plant the more they recede and disappear.It is a bit hard to kick goals with retreating and roving goal posts but that is what chasing this Garcinia and the D.macrantha.  It can't stay like roping the wind or pinning down eels in the mud and one of my air swings has to connect eventually. Who can resist the call of a siren or the promise of something species?

I'll stay on the case and hope something will yield under pressure.When one of the apparitions turns into something real I will report.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2014, 08:41:02 PM »
I could well inherit a grafted Russell's Sweet in the not too distant future. Does anyone have any advice on how one might encourage the rootstock to shoot or sucker? Although its probably a yellow mangosteen and wont help much :(

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2014, 03:53:36 AM »

My Russell's Sweet is about 4 feet tall now and growing well. Maybe a Garcinia expert can tell by the young growth pattern if it closely resembles G.dulcis. Maybe it is actually a form of dulcis in spite of what those in the know have been telling me.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2014, 06:40:13 AM »
Looking good Mike. I picked up a 3ft seedling recently. They look quite different from Mundu.

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2014, 04:13:50 PM »
Wow, interesting stuff, the fruit sounds yummy, and the memories of elusive rare fruit is like out of a book.  I'd love some seeds too(if that male female thing ever gets worked out)lol :)

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2014, 05:27:14 PM »

Do you know from where it originates Mike? Is it a cultivar?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2014, 05:32:25 PM »
Starling ,look at the original thread on this fruit or the RFC archives (library section here below) where it is erroneously believed to be a variety of G.dulcis, and all will be revealed.My tree is closer to 4 ft than 3 ft actually.

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2014, 09:26:23 PM »

My Russell's Sweet is about 4 feet tall now and growing well. Maybe a Garcinia expert can tell by the young growth pattern if it closely resembles G.dulcis. Maybe it is actually a form of dulcis in spite of what those in the know have been telling me.

Very , very beautiful Garcinia !!!!
I love Garcinia's species , and Mike Garcinia is spectacular !!!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 09:32:59 PM by RICBITAR »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2014, 03:38:11 AM »
There has been another event in the world of Russells Sweet Garcinia/Sweet Yellow Mangosteen.TodayI received a 3 ft grafted male so another white whale has bagged.A spot has long been reserved beside my female.My yellow and single girl should be ready to mingle next year with luck and the male maybe a year later. Local Garcinia enthusiasts are still baffled by its identity and origins and the agreement seems to be that this non G.dulcis is something special.I'll take pix of the happy couple soon and I have nagging questions about how I know the female is really a female.
After many years of hearing fruit campaigners talk about this species in hushed tones and as the one that got away,I'll  see I can pitch in and give it a hand.I hope it is as good as rumor portrays it to be and it's story is as interesting as that of Durio macrantha.

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2014, 12:26:21 PM »
That's great news for you. I guess within 5 years or so you may have both Russell's Sweet and Luc's. Garcinia fruiting and you can do a side by side comparison.

Tomas

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2014, 02:05:53 PM »
There has been another event in the world of Russells Sweet Garcinia/Sweet Yellow Mangosteen.TodayI received a 3 ft grafted male so another white whale has bagged.A spot has long been reserved beside my female.My yellow and single girl should be ready to mingle next year with luck and the male maybe a year later. Local Garcinia enthusiasts are still baffled by its identity and origins and the agreement seems to be that this non G.dulcis is something special.I'll take pix of the happy couple soon and I have nagging questions about how I know the female is really a female.
After many years of hearing fruit campaigners talk about this species in hushed tones and as the one that got away,I'll  see I can pitch in and give it a hand.I hope it is as good as rumor portrays it to be and it's story is as interesting as that of Durio macrantha.

Wow , Congratulations ! I hope next year you can taste this beautiful and super rare specie Garcinia sp.
also I am very curious about the history of this Garcinia
Thank you !
Ricardo

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2014, 02:06:47 PM »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2014, 04:21:27 PM »
Ain't no dulcis and that CSIRO are a cowboy outfit.Growth form,fruit characteristics and taste are different but then again I have not eaten the fruit myself.I see dulcis around in several forms including a dwarf type and posted pix of them before.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2014, 04:30:14 PM »
what's convinced you this is other than dulcis, since your last post in April, when you were still in doubt?

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2014, 04:57:15 PM »
Saff I do tend to question things like new varieties and species quite a bit as I have noticed many falsehoods in the world of fruit. Something new,undescribed and having better fruit seems like a stretch to my logical side.The source of this male also grows dulcis and he said to me they are not even all that close and as BMc noted the form is quite different.I have not ruled out that it is an abberant form/subspecies of dulcis because nothing else can have a sweet fruit but this is seeming less likely.I can't see what hybrid options would result in this and find it hard to believe a wild or cultivated fruit of quality would be so reduced without a known origin.I'll just have to grow them and see what happens.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2014, 06:49:36 PM »
well regardless thanks for sharing pics and info..

if I had to bet, I'd say chances are u found something rare and unique!!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2014, 07:48:55 PM »

The boy is in the pot and they are getting on well

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2014, 06:15:29 PM »
I bumped into the original Russell in the supermarket yesterday and with the line moving at continental drift pace.He said is is unsure now exactly where he acquired the original fruit from and it could have been burma. This Garcinia was originally flagged as G.dulcis due to confusion about what a real G.dulcis was at the time but he acknowledged it is something else and commented that he thought G.dulcis does not have great fruit. Russell said in a Luc kinds way, 'just wait until you try this fruit because you are in for a pleasant surprize'.
Of interest was that he said the original trees planted at his house which is now with his ex-wife are still fruiting well every year and there is a male with them.He advised the fruit are very sweet and flavourful and tend to drop on the ground in abundance.He suggested that I call him some time and arrange to get seeds from his ex's place when the fruit have fallen.I just might do it.
By the way muy young male plant is sprouting new leaves and looks happy now.

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2014, 06:29:47 PM »
For the love of all things green and tropical, do it. Get. Those. Seeds. :)

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2014, 08:28:12 PM »
You have me salivating....I WANT this garcinia! 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2014, 09:04:28 PM »
Yes!!!! Please get seeds!!! I am dying to try and grow this!!!
- David Antonio Garcia

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk