Author Topic: Pomegranates in upper Texas Gulf Coast  (Read 2202 times)

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
Pomegranates in upper Texas Gulf Coast
« on: June 14, 2018, 03:33:38 PM »
I have two pomegranate trees that are 7 or more years old.  Both are vigorous growers and more than 12 feet tall. Both get plenty of sun and are regularly fertilized.   The "Red Silk" variety flowers like gangbusters and sets lots of fruit.  The "Kashmir Blend" variety only moderately flowers and rarely sets fruit. Can someone speak to the lack of performance for the "Kashmir" pom?   
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Yorgos

• View Profile
Re: Pomegranates in upper Texas Gulf Coast
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 12:11:53 PM »
So pretty much all my pomegranates succumbed to some disease that turns the fruit black.  I am led to believe the vector for this disease is leaf footed bugs and stink bugs, which I have in profusion since I have numerous very large pecan trees on my property.  Anyone have a secret to manage the bugs/disease?  I am planning on a copper spray regimen next year after fruit set to see if that saves the fruit.

alangr088

• Los Angeles, Zone 10B Sunset 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 04:04:55 AM »
sucks to hear that. Hope you have better luck next year. Houston is my hometown!

Yorgos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 02:04:40 PM »
Go Astros!

manfromyard

• USA, Ga, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 10:41:35 PM »
So pretty much all my pomegranates succumbed to some disease that turns the fruit black.  I am led to believe the vector for this disease is leaf footed bugs and stink bugs, which I have in profusion since I have numerous very large pecan trees on my property.  Anyone have a secret to manage the bugs/disease?  I am planning on a copper spray regimen next year after fruit set to see if that saves the fruit.

The leaf footed bugs poke holes, then black rot sets in. I have the same problem. From what I've read, SURROUND is recommended. So I will order a big bag and spray them and the citrus down well..