Author Topic: Ants! Damn Ants!  (Read 5856 times)

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
Ants! Damn Ants!
« on: January 28, 2012, 05:59:18 PM »
For quite a while I've been battling ants in and around my mango tree.  I see their colonies at the base of the tree.  I have sprinkled this product http://www.spectracide.com/Products-and-Solutions/Triazicide/Spectracide-Triazicide-Insect-Killer-Once-and-DoneTM-Granules.aspx numerous times but with no noticeable affect.  They are up and down and throughout the tree with reckless abandon, so I decided to wrap some duct tape, (sticky side out), around the trunk.  My poor man's Tanglefoot, I suppose.
Well, these must be the wisest ants ever encountered because now I have two shimmering masses of ants, one above and one below the band of tape.  They're too smart to cross it and die, so they are massing. . .for who knows what?
What's attracting them to the tree in the first place and how do I control these buggers?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Ants! Damn Ants!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 07:03:46 PM »
For quite a while I've been battling ants in and around my mango tree.  I see their colonies at the base of the tree.  I have sprinkled this product http://www.spectracide.com/Products-and-Solutions/Triazicide/Spectracide-Triazicide-Insect-Killer-Once-and-DoneTM-Granules.aspx numerous times but with no noticeable affect.  They are up and down and throughout the tree with reckless abandon, so I decided to wrap some duct tape, (sticky side out), around the trunk.  My poor man's Tanglefoot, I suppose.
Well, these must be the wisest ants ever encountered because now I have two shimmering masses of ants, one above and one below the band of tape.  They're too smart to cross it and die, so they are massing. . .for who knows what?
What's attracting them to the tree in the first place and how do I control these buggers?

Not all ants are a problem, sometime they are more helpful than you think...it could be you don't even need to kill them...my trees are loaded with ants and scale, and they fruit just fine..Some have no scale or ants as well, it just depends I guess

If they are a problem, and fostering sucking insects that you want to exterminate...maybe use borax and sugar...I hear this simple formula kills them well.  Look up the proper recipe on google.  And maybe apply some neem for those scale, or merritt, systemic evil poison... :'( :)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 08:05:31 PM »
Liquid dishwashing soap kills ants on contact. Use one teaspoon per handheld sprayers. You could combine with foliar fertilizer and fertilize your tree while getting rid of the ants.
Oscar
Oscar

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 08:10:03 PM »
Liquid dishwashing soap kills ants on contact. . .
Oscar
Really?  I hadn't heard that before. . .you're sure I won't just be giving them all nice showers??  ;)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 08:40:20 PM »
Liquid dishwashing soap kills ants on contact. . .
Oscar
Really?  I hadn't heard that before. . .you're sure I won't just be giving them all nice showers??  ;)

Used it many times, works 100%. If you don't believe me you can test it on a few ants. Chemical companies don't want you to know that liquid dishwashing soak kills most insects. They'd rather you buy their expensive products and poison yourself and the environment.
Oscar
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 10:08:23 PM »
Liquid dishwashing soap kills ants on contact. Use one teaspoon per handheld sprayers. You could combine with foliar fertilizer and fertilize your tree while getting rid of the ants.
Oscar

Oscar,

I've seen ants in FL live through much worse than just soap...have sprayed them with neem and soap, and they lived....I mix my chemicals heavy to!  I gave up on neem..you have to apply it so religiously, and it doesn't kill stuff like I want it to!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 10:14:27 PM »
Oscar

Oscar,

I've seen ants in FL live through much worse than just soap...have sprayed them with neem and soap, and they lived....I mix my chemicals heavy to!  I gave up on neem..you have to apply it so religiously, and it doesn't kill stuff like I want it to!

You didn't use heavy enough concentration of soap! Neem doesn't kill any insect. It only messes up their reproductive cycle.
Oscar
Oscar

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 10:52:56 PM »
Oscar

Oscar,

You didn't use heavy enough concentration of soap! Neem doesn't kill any insect. It only messes up their reproductive cycle.
Oscar

Hey, good tip guys! I'll try both in summer time.

stressbaby

• Fulton, MO, zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 08:54:13 AM »
Oscar

Oscar,

Oscar

True, and I would add that neem has multiple mechanism of action, some of which take up to two weeks to have an effect.  Also, just my observation - if old, it can loose effectiveness.  You have to get a new supply periodically and keep it away from extremes of heat.

North_Tree_Man

• Downingtown, PA - 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 12:26:58 PM »
Soap does work, but you have to hit them directly with it. The way it works is similar to hort. oil, by clogging their spiracles and suffocating them.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 05:06:42 AM »
Soap does work, but you have to hit them directly with it. The way it works is similar to hort. oil, by clogging their spiracles and suffocating them.

Soap works quite well on all somewhat soft bodies insects, including mealybugs, aphid, and ants. Doesn't do anything for the well armored ones like scale, or ones that burrow into leaves, like erinose mites (on lychees) and other gall mites.
Oscar
Oscar

natsgarden123

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 09:13:20 AM »
There is a guy here in South Florida who has a newspaper column- called the Swamp Gardener. He gave the formula for an excellent anti-ant ( and other bug treatment) - I use this and its awesome, gets rid of all the ants.

1.)Mix Naptha Bar soap ( one bar-its carried here in the supermarkets) with warm water, until dissolved in a large glass jar. You can put this aside and save it.
2.) When ready to use  mix 1/4 cup of this to one gallon water, add a  small amount of hot sauce. Spray liberally.