Author Topic: Growing Rambutan in Southern California  (Read 7020 times)

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
Growing Rambutan in Southern California
« on: May 07, 2019, 06:18:26 PM »
This rambutan has been growing from seed, outdoors (under my patio cover and surrounded by other trees) in Southern California, for approx 3+ years, and seems to be quite happy. The fruit was grown in a mountainous region of Costa Rica.

If anyone has experience growing rambutan in Southern Cali, OUTDOORS AND NOT IN A GREEN HOUSE, please share your experiences. I have not found any information on anyone being able to get one to fruit outdoors here. Thanks.

Nate Dogg
Nate

Rob P

• Australia, Gold Coast Queensland. 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Rambutan in Southern California
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 10:42:27 PM »
Are you sure that is a Rambutan, and you didn't get your seeds mixed up? It seems to have more of a Garcinia growth habit.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 10:59:53 PM »
Are you sure that is a Rambutan, and you didn't get your seeds mixed up? It seems to have more of a Garcinia growth habit.

I was thinking it looked like coffee.  But I dont know what rambutan looks like. 
Brad Spaugh

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 11:14:45 PM »
maybe luc mangosteen

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 12:03:30 AM »

No, I’m not 100% sure, but 99.9%. A buddy of mine, who grows lots of subtropicals, and is pretty educated in the such, ate the fruit and brought back 10 seeds, 3 of which germinated and are all about the same size as the one in the picture.

If there’s someone that grows rambutans out there and is familiar with the look of the tree and would like to chime in, PLEASE do.
Nate

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 12:05:42 AM »
maybe luc mangosteen

I have 5 Lucs mangosteens growing, while the leaves are similar in shape, lucs leaves are no where near as glossy.
Nate

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 03:13:50 AM »
That's not a rambutan. There is no information on fruiting rambutan outdoors in California because it's very hard to get rambutan to fruit in a greenhouse in California. i don't think anyone has been succesful so far.
Oscar

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 03:19:30 AM »
That's not a rambutan. There is no information on fruiting rambutan outdoors in California because it's very hard to get rambutan to fruit in a greenhouse in California. i don't think anyone has been succesful so far.

Do you know what it is?
Nate

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 11:14:26 AM »
Look the same?

Brad Spaugh

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 11:30:39 AM »
Nate

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 11:36:35 AM »
I don't know for sure what you have but mine is a coffee plant.
Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 12:26:42 PM »
That's not a rambutan, I agree. I'm in socal and have been trying to grow rambutan outdoors for many years and had no luck. They grow for a year or so then die off.
Doesn't seem to matter if I try from a seed or from a seedling (10" tall) or air layered plant purchased.

NickTheNZgrower

• New Zealand, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2019, 03:21:48 PM »
Looking at pics online, this does resemble a Rambutan. If the seed source was trusted, I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 04:04:00 PM »
I just spoke with my friend who I received the tree from. He said it would be really weird if coffee came up in the three places he planted the rambutan seeds, but said its possible given he has a small, fruiting coffee plant growing in his yard. Sorry for the confusion if it turns out to be coffee. I guess only time will tell. Thanks everyone for your opinions.
Nate

MarktLee

• USA, California, Chula Vista Z24
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2019, 07:36:45 PM »
Looks like coffee to me. Oscar is right, there is no way a rambutan will survive in California, I've heard that pulasan are more cold tolerant, but would need a green house. I grow langsat, betel nut palm, salak palm and cacao among the tropicals in my greenhouse, but I doubt any will get large enough to fruit. All of the garcinias I've tried have done fine outside, but these only include Luc's, Cuban Aristata, Achachairu, Imbe, and Paniculata.

If you talk to Richard Reid he has a nice selection of Garcinias doing great outside just east of Del Mar north of San Diego

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2019, 08:29:21 PM »
Nate,

If you look closely at your second photo, it shows the trunk of the plant where it turns from brown to fresh green color. A Rambutan does not grow like that.
I'm sure it is not a Rambutan. Also the top green portion of the trunk is not round like a Rambutan plant.

Kaz

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2019, 09:40:19 PM »
Absolutely not a Rambutan. I am growing a grafted one in Florida and yours looks very different. Does resemble coffee leaves. I will send a photo of my leaves
FloridaGreenMan

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2019, 10:28:51 PM »
I’m convinced it’s coffee as well. Bubble burst, bummer.

After comments from senior fruit forum members, speaking more in depth with the friend I got the seedling  from, and researching LOTS of pictures online with the resemblence being spot on to arabica and Brad’s coffee plant, the “rambutan” is indeed a coffee plant. Oh well, I guess now I’ll have some tasty coffee beans to look forward to.

I guess when life gives you lemons, make coffee...

Thanks again ya’ll.
Nate

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2019, 12:47:17 AM »
Looks like coffee to me. Oscar is right, there is no way a rambutan will survive in California, I've heard that pulasan are more cold tolerant, but would need a green house. I grow langsat, betel nut palm, salak palm and cacao among the tropicals in my greenhouse, but I doubt any will get large enough to fruit. All of the garcinias I've tried have done fine outside, but these only include Luc's, Cuban Aristata, Achachairu, Imbe, and Paniculata.

If you talk to Richard Reid he has a nice selection of Garcinias doing great outside just east of Del Mar north of San Diego
Doubt pulasan is more cold hardy than rambutan. I would suspect the opposite. In any case, for sure rambutan is a lot more vigorous than most types of pulasans.
BTW, rambutan has been fruited in Florida by Grimal and Whitman, but i don't think pulasan has ever been fruited there.
Oscar

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2019, 09:35:46 PM »
I have grown both Pulasan and Rambutan in South Florida and Oscar is correct that Pulasan is a cold weather weakiing!...much more tender than Rambutan.....Rambutan will survive outdoors (Zone 10B-11) here in acid soils but not Pulasan. 
FloridaGreenMan

Tina

• Fountain Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2019, 07:00:55 PM »
I also have a small ramputan tree that I grew from a seed this year. So far my plant is doing really good in a container. Have anyone have success in growing one with fruits on it? I heard they need another tree to  pollinate...

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2019, 01:22:25 AM »
I also have a small ramputan tree that I grew from a seed this year. So far my plant is doing really good in a container. Have anyone have success in growing one with fruits on it? I heard they need another tree to  pollinate...

What’s up Tina, my plant turned out to be a coffee plant, NOT RAMBUTAN. The two seedlings I got in the last year both put on a couple new growth flushes and then kicked the bucket :( Good luck with yours, please keep us posted. Peace.

Nate