Author Topic: Blue Java Banana - Flordia Hill Nursery  (Read 5695 times)

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
Blue Java Banana - Flordia Hill Nursery
« on: June 09, 2015, 08:44:45 AM »
Recent acquisition mail order (1 month). The colors look amazing for a banana tree especially the iridescent pink along the small pseudostem. 

Blue Java Banana

- Marley

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Java Banana - Flordia Hill Nursery
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 08:58:08 AM »
Nice.
Michael

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 01:57:11 PM »
the color of that banana tree is beautiful. I recently bought a mona lisa banana from florida hill nursery, that company is legit. I think the blue java, the mona lisa, and the aeae are the best looking bananas of them all.

mangorific

• USA, FL, Loxahatchee, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 02:37:06 PM »
FYI, mixed feedback on Florida Hill Nursery - http://www.bananas.org/f2/florida-hill-nursery-13340-7.html

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 02:54:29 PM »
right on, i ordered 6 bananas from them recently, all look different so i hope their the right ones, either way they look different than all my other bananas so most likely their the right ones but if not i still received 6 more different varieties. I say their legit because the bananas arrive healthy looking and good size also shipped in a day for the impatient people that cant wait till it comes in the mail  ;D.

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 04:58:44 PM »
FYI, mixed feedback on Florida Hill Nursery - http://www.bananas.org/f2/florida-hill-nursery-13340-7.html

+1. don't quote me, but i believe they sell namwah as ice cream/blue java (apparently most online sellers do).

Zeeth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 05:27:35 PM »
It looks like my namwah that was sold to me as 'ice cream'. I've heard that the real blue java doesn't have the pink petiole coloration that the namwah does.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 10:39:17 PM »
the color of that banana tree is beautiful. I recently bought a mona lisa banana from florida hill nursery, that company is legit. I think the blue java, the mona lisa, and the aeae are the best looking bananas of them all.

Totally agree with FHN being legit.  My order was processed and delivered quickly.  Everything was packed perfectly.  Order also included grape vine, dragon fruit and passion fruit.  I will be ordering from them again.  Gros Michel, Gran Nain, and LSU Purp Fig are coming up next.  I guess the verdict is still out on whether the bananas are as sold but one thing I've learned is you can't beleive everything you read on the internet.  What works for some may not work for others.
- Marley

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 10:41:58 PM »
It looks like my namwah that was sold to me as 'ice cream'. I've heard that the real blue java doesn't have the pink petiole coloration that the namwah does.

Would be interesting to see some picks.
- Marley

Zeeth

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 10:43:32 PM »

Totally agree with FHN being legit.  My order was processed and delivered quickly.  Everything was packed perfectly.  Order also included grape vine, dragon fruit and passion fruit.  I will be ordering from them again.  Gros Michel, Gran Nain, and LSU Purp Fig are coming up next.  I guess the verdict is still out on whether the bananas are as sold but one thing I've learned is you can't beleive everything you read on the internet.  What works for some may not work for others.

Let us know what it turns out to be once it fruits. Here's a video of someone eating some namwah fruit. Mine look just like this, so I got suspicious once I got the first fruits because they looked nothing like what I've heard blue java as looking like. They're very dense and taste good, but it'd be nice to actually get what you order instead of something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD0Z02TaSZc

Zeeth

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 10:45:29 PM »

Would be interesting to see some picks.

I've got a pup a similar size to yours so I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 10:48:44 PM »
I met the guy who owns FL Hill a few years back...i got to see his place...

he is a super nice person!!!

never ordered from him, but I belive he has tons of satisfied customers (i think his ebay account reflects that)...

lol i read the link from bananas.org...i guess the owner of Going bananas doesn't think too highly of FHL...(not really a surprise being that they are in competition with each other)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 10:53:36 PM »

never ordered from him, but I belive he has tons of satisfied customers (i think his ebay account reflects that)...

lol i read the link from bananas.org...i guess the owner of Going bananas doesn't think too highly of FHL...(not really a surprise being that they are in competition with each other)

I do not think the person commenting as "Going Bananas" from CA  is The owner from Going Banana in Homestead. Doesn't sound at all like Don or Katie. They are top notch people who have been in the business a long time.

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 11:04:34 PM »
Recent acquisition mail order (1 month). The colors look amazing for a banana tree especially the iridescent pink along the small pseudostem. 

Blue Java Banana

Keep us posted as to how it does and photos when it fruits. I have blue Java (ice cream) and namwah growing at our place if it doesn't end up being what you hoped. Hopefully it is. Namwah is great too. I spent $100 on bananas from a mail order place in CA a year ago and I received 3 totally different varieties than what I ordered. Really disappointing. Pictures of our two plants are below, but tissue cultured bananas can look different than pups when young (and sometimes when they mature).

I ordered something from FHN and it was not the variety I ordered. I received no response after contacting them and their website would not allow me to post an honest review of the plant.

Blue Java Ice Cream (proven by fruit)

Namwah (purchased 3 years ago as ice cream from tissue culture, but was namwah - a very good tasting banana that we are happy to have)

« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 08:49:49 AM by geosulcata »

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 12:05:27 AM »
namwah is commonly sold as ice cream. florida hill isn't the only one doing it. it's the same issue with the ones sold on ebay. i have a namwah that i bought online as an ice cream. it looks nothing like the true blue java that i have.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 12:15:41 AM »
Lol thanks for the correction!!

That sucks for Don to have that guy out there using his business name on a forum!!

I do not think the person commenting as "Going Bananas" from CA  is The owner from Going Banana in Homestead. Doesn't sound at all like Don or Katie. They are top notch people who have been in the business a long time.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 04:00:04 PM »

That's great to hear.  Thanks for sharing!
- Marley

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2015, 04:05:56 PM »
shit, now that untrue quote is out there where it says Don from going bananas doesnt' like FHN...

Sorry Don!  there is someone out there using your business name on a forum!  I got confused (not hard to do)

I made a boo boo.  :-[  :D
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com