Author Topic: Hancornia speciosa  (Read 8501 times)

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
Hancornia speciosa
« on: April 13, 2014, 01:06:24 PM »
Is anyone growing or fruiting Hancornia speciosa? Or growing any plants? Is the fruit worth while? Here is a photo of some seedlings that I recently sprouted. They are the 5 little plants to the front right of the photo.

Ed

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Re: Hancornia speciosa
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 01:26:03 PM »
Looking great Ed , I don't remember how many I killed , also trying again now , just planted them , the trick is to keep them alive . I tried the fruit in Brazil long ago cant remember the taste...
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 02:24:46 PM »
Thanks Luc! I have also killed a lot of of them! This is the first time I have managed to keep some a live for more than 5 months!

Ed

shah8

• Atlanta, Ga
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 02:43:48 PM »
Fruit is supposed to be very worthwhile, and are popular where they are native.  Unfortunately, they are *very* restricted to where they are native.  People have been trying for a long time to get Hancornia to grow somewhere else.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 02:56:45 PM »
Fruit is supposed to be very worthwhile, and are popular where they are native.  Unfortunately, they are *very* restricted to where they are native.  People have been trying for a long time to get Hancornia to grow somewhere else.

yes very true!

supposed to be excellent sweet/fragrant fruit (sure some won't appreciate them out of hand though..I think they have latex and fiber) and of course there are plenty of varieties.

i think this one is subject to the dreaded "cerrado curse"...likes extreme low ph, below 5.5? good drainage...and never overwater during winter.

It's definitely possible to grow this one...but it will take a dedicated grower, or someone who has the right environmental conditions for this plant...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 03:06:21 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 03:49:00 PM »

Hi,

I also tried and failed.

There's one episode of "Um pé de quê" dedicated to the Mangaba (Hancornia speciosa).

I that episode, they showed Mangabas growing in very (white) sandy soil, not far from the sea in fact.

If I could try again, I'd use pure sand and little water...
Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 03:57:29 PM »
My Hancornia speciosa are growing well for me! This is the first time that I have got plants past the 2 leaf stage!

Ed

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 04:02:07 PM »
Mine didn't even germinate this time  , I am gona scratch this from my ' have to grow ' list.
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 04:02:52 PM »
looking real good!

how long to fruit from seed? 2-3 yr?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 04:04:16 PM »
This was the first time I received seeds that weren't all ready rotten. They were nice fresh seed with tiny sprouts on them when I planted them. I got almost 100% germination.

Ed

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 04:05:28 PM »
Heck no clue I will just have to be surprised ! I hope it makes a fruit that I like!

Ed

looking real good!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 04:13:05 PM »
Heck no clue I will just have to be surprised ! I hope it makes a fruit that I like!

Ed

looking real good!

Hi Ed, i got to taste mangaba when i was in Amazon city of Belem. I still remember the taste, very good. It reminded me of the taste of a pear. Apparently there are 2 types of mangaba that grow in different regions of Brazil, but i forget the details. I've also had very bad luck growing them here. Not surprising as they don't like constant rain. They would get to about size in your photo and then croak. If i were you i would repot them in a mix with a lot of sand in the medium. I think your highly organic mixture is not good for them, at least not the ones that come from the cerrado. I think i made that same mistake.
Oscar

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 04:35:44 PM »

Mangaba also grows in near pure sand, in areas close to the coast.

Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 04:49:09 PM »
Thanks Oscar good to know. We have been in a,drought for over 3 years so rain is rare.

Ed

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 05:47:36 PM »
I prefer to kill the seeds before they sprout and have done this many times.There are 2 good species and many forms including the sandy and swampy types. I have a feeling they are much like a gracile frangipani and the fruit are like couma.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 07:23:00 PM »
Way to go Ed, from Oscars, description could be a good one, what ever your doing those little plants seem to be liken it! ;)Keep us posted on these guys! I never heard of this species but best of luck growing them bigger! 8)

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 07:43:17 PM »
Congratulation Ed.

My Hancornia speciosa and Annona crassiflora seeds should arrive in a few weeks.  I'll try to germinate them using desert sand and some peat moss to increase the water retention and the acidity of soil. I heard these two plants loves dry condition so I might be able to fruit them one day.  ::)

Mohd
Moh'd

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 11:02:55 PM »
You can see a photo here i took at Belem market of mangaba. It is yellow fruit on left bottom.
Oscar

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2014, 10:47:39 AM »
Thanks Scott!

Thanks Mohd! Good luck with your seeds! I'm growing mine in a pre mixed bagged soil from Lowes. I have them in well draining pots up on plant racks so plenty of air flow around them . I only water with rain water or filtered water to remove chlorine. The humidity is low here and it rarely rains!

Thanks for the photo of the fruit Oscar!

Thanks,

Ed

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2014, 02:59:52 PM »
Thanks Scott!

Thanks Mohd! Good luck with your seeds! I'm growing mine in a pre mixed bagged soil from Lowes. I have them in well draining pots up on plant racks so plenty of air flow around them . I only water with rain water or filtered water to remove chlorine. The humidity is low here and it rarely rains!

Thanks for the photo of the fruit Oscar!

Thanks,

Ed
Hi Ed, i think there is a description of mangaba in Whitman's book. He really liked the fruit, but ate one unripe....and that wasn't so good.  :o
Oscar

pauloc

• Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2014, 12:15:16 PM »
Friends, mangaba erally is a very very good fruit, the initial growth is difficult, but once they are stabilized in the soil, the growth is much easier, and the plants are very resistant when they are adults.

Here I keep them growing in a pot for a short time, the seedlings should be with partial shade (50%), always use  drained substrate (sandy soil + 30% organic soil) Never use limestone. The newly germinated seedlings are very sensitive to soil fungi. These plants detest live in a pot for a long time, so they can be washed for planting in soil about 20 cm.

Even being hard to grow this fruit is worth it!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2014, 12:25:26 PM »
thanks for the great info.....but honestly i think growers in USA will not have such an easy experience, once they plant their container grown, established Mangabas into our soils.

the soil here just doesn't have a pH low enough (and probably more to it than that...microorganisms, and soil composition could be factors)

im guessing it's best to keep them inside a pot forever in most places in the USA....but I've never even successfully sprouted maganba seeds...so don't take my word for it.... :D

Friends, mangaba erally is a very very good fruit, the initial growth is difficult, but once they are stabilized in the soil, the growth is much easier, and the plants are very resistant when they are adults.

Here I keep them growing in a pot for a short time, the seedlings should be with partial shade (50%), always use  drained substrate (sandy soil + 30% organic soil) Never use limestone. The newly germinated seedlings are very sensitive to soil fungi. These plants detest live in a pot for a long time, so they can be washed for planting in soil about 20 cm.

Even being hard to grow this fruit is worth it!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

pauloc

• Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2014, 01:23:02 PM »
Adam, if the soil has poor drainage, and / or the pH is quite high, so better to keep it in a pot.

I've seen several trees growing in different places and different conditions such as sandy soils, very stony soils, clayey soils, abundant rainfall regions .... but never in conditions of poor drainage or too high pH. This  conditions perishes be lethal to plants.

To keep them in a pot for many years, I think the secret is to use a very large pot with sandy soil. I believe this will be a big challenge! ;)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2014, 03:50:51 PM »
oh and don't forget,

even if your soil is acid... the water you use for irrigation can still destroy this plant.

city water is usually the most common culprit...but even well water at many locations is not optimal for this species...

so usage of rainwater, or water filtration/treatment, might have to be considered as well.

Adam, if the soil has poor drainage, and / or the pH is quite high, so better to keep it in a pot.

I've seen several trees growing in different places and different conditions such as sandy soils, very stony soils, clayey soils, abundant rainfall regions .... but never in conditions of poor drainage or too high pH. This  conditions perishes be lethal to plants.

To keep them in a pot for many years, I think the secret is to use a very large pot with sandy soil. I believe this will be a big challenge! ;)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2014, 07:04:50 PM »
Here's a few photos of my Hancornia speciosa seedlings taken this afternoon. A few are over 8 inches tall now.
Thanks,
Ed