Author Topic: hog plum - mombin question  (Read 2631 times)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
hog plum - mombin question
« on: March 10, 2018, 07:33:27 PM »
Four or five years ago I got a June plum and Hog plum.  I wanted something that would fruit fast and was not too large.

The hog plum has flowered a couple of times and is tarting again now but has never borne fruit.  Its a nice size, not a single leaf (typical this time of year), and beginning to push those tine red flowers on the bare stem.  What can I do to make it set fruit this year?  If I cant is this a good enough fruit to keep trying or should I lop it off and recover the space?  Yeah, yeah, I know taste is subjective but I still want your opinion if you know this fruit.

The June plum has had three seasons of fruit already and I have tried the fruit.  It has a few fruits still on from last season.  Problem is I am beginning to eye its spot  :-[

Perhaps for an atemoya or mango seedling currently in a pot.  It will have to be a compact grower though, its not a huge spot.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: hog plum - mombin question
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 08:05:48 PM »
How large is the mombin?

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 08:22:03 PM »
Maybe 8 to 9 feet to the tip of the tallest branch.  It is bare now and there are two branches that would be about that high.  If I pruned those back, then I will say about a 7 to 8 foot plant. Most of the other branches are in the 5 to 7 feet range off the ground.

I could take a picture during the day and post.

Why did you ask?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 09:45:43 PM »
Maybe 8 to 9 feet to the tip of the tallest branch.  It is bare now and there are two branches that would be about that high.  If I pruned those back, then I will say about a 7 to 8 foot plant. Most of the other branches are in the 5 to 7 feet range off the ground.

I could take a picture during the day and post.

Why did you ask?

At that size, it should set fruit no problem.

If it's the purple mombin that you're growing it's one of my favorite fruit. Definitely worth growing.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 10:29:53 PM »
I love hog plum.   Best eaten when you can hold it to the sunlight and see a little transparency in the pulp through the skin.  They need honey bees for pollination.  Perhaps you're just lacking pollinators, as the tree sounds large enough.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 09:45:06 AM »
I have a hog plum full of flowers also. The past two years every red flower resulted in a red fruit.
This year it has the most flowers ever. I also really enjoy the fruit. Both my kids and wife like it
as well. I am watering 3 times a week now with every thing else. I don't do anything different then
the other trees. I saw a tree at Ace harware labled hog plum last summer and bought it. It has a few
flowers and a couple fruit as well. I have heard they are maintenance free and will thrive in most
conditions. I also heard they are very cold sensitive and my yard was 30F one night and 32F two
nights in a row and they weren't phased. I hope you get fruit and can try it for yourself. If you don't this
year I'll send you a couple cuttings from my productive tree. I bought mine as a 3 gallon grown from a
cutting and it produced the first year. It also grew to 6' the first summer.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 11:54:33 AM »
A hogs plum that flowers and doesn't set fruit is odd. Can you post a picture?
Jeff  :-)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 10:58:10 AM »
Not much flower this year yet. 
Possibly post Irma stress or just not time but one a few are starting to show.
Last year there were very many but no fruits.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 05:12:32 PM »
It flowered again this year and this year it set 5 fruit.
Two fell of early but 3 hung on till vegetative growth started on the tree.
I got to taste one of the 3 that were left, birds or some other animal got the other 2.
It was red and it was very tasty.  I am not sure I let it ripen but I wasn't going to lose the last fruit.

I will keep this tree.  Perhaps add a second or third variety.

Thanks.