Author Topic: Re: Garcinia dulcis  (Read 3454 times)

Joshua

• Australia gold coast Queensland subtropical
    • View Profile
Re: Garcinia dulcis
« on: January 01, 2016, 02:38:41 AM »
I'm going with dulcis.. they are awesome have a look at this beautiful tree in a friends placegarcinia dulcis mandu yellow mangosteen: https://youtu.be/tDu2ZuohAtI

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 03:37:32 AM »
Have a search for threads where I have posted xanthochymus pictures before to see the similarity. The confusing thing is that that some xanthochymus are smaller and sweeter.Now G.dulcis like I posted in a thread in the hat,like what Oscar has and like in this clip is remarkably similar to some xanthochymus.The G.dulcis that many Indonesians on the forum sell and the one depicted in Lorenzis book as well as the dwarf dulcis sometimes seen in North queensland is different.That is why I have been uncertain as to whether the Russells sweet is a dulcis or not.To add to the confusion the G.cochinchinensis in the LorenzI book is a dead ringer for xanthochymus and perhaps LorenzI got these asian Garcinias wrong.
Nice tree by the way and they get big I. a warmer climate.

Joshua

• Australia gold coast Queensland subtropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 05:09:53 AM »
wow sounds in need of some serious detective work. here's some pics also

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 08:32:53 PM »

G.xanthochymus

G.dulcis

There is a big difference in the size of fruit in the 2 pictures but it is not always the case.

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 10:13:38 PM »
Pretty cool Joshua. Nice videos

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 01:19:23 AM »
Seems like i read a lot about Garcinia Dulcis (Mundu), and Russell's sweet, and even other similar garcinias all being compared closely to each other and often being confused for one another.  What are the differences between these fruits?  in the video the land owner had the tree labeled "yellow Mangosteen" is that another fruit besides dulcis or russells?   
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 02:28:51 AM »
Yellow mangosteen is a confusing Australian term (and maybe used more widely) for several Asian Garcinias which range from sweet to sour and they can look pretty similar.It has created conflicting reports and a need to diffrentiate between the species and types.It gets in the way of them being popular and separate names in wide use are perhaps needed.The folly in North Queensland is that the sour G.xanthochymus is the most common.

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 07:20:54 PM »
Has anybody fruited the G. dulcis in Florida yet?  I got some seeds from Joshua a couple of years ago and they are still small, we also have one 4 ft. tree that appears to be G. dulcis but who knows.  I just got some more seeds from Stevo recently.  I like to plant seeds directly into the forest.  We have between 200-300 Garcinias ranging in size from 7 ft. to 2” of several varieties.  Our imbe’ have been fruiting small multiple crops/year.  1 Achachachiru is fruiting size but no flowers yet. We also have a couple 7ft. G. hombromiana and some 6ft. G. intermedia. We also had a 7’ G. madrono I almost killed by digging it up, it is finally after 4 years coming to life again as a 4’ tree.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 07:24:29 PM by Frog Valley Farm »

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 08:19:31 AM »
Has anybody fruited the G. dulcis in Florida yet?  I got some seeds from Joshua a couple of years ago and they are still small, we also have one 4 ft. tree that appears to be G. dulcis but who knows.  I just got some more seeds from Stevo recently.  I like to plant seeds directly into the forest.  We have between 200-300 Garcinias ranging in size from 7 ft. to 2” of several varieties.  Our imbe’ have been fruiting small multiple crops/year.  1 Achachachiru is fruiting size but no flowers yet. We also have a couple 7ft. G. hombromiana and some 6ft. G. intermedia. We also had a 7’ G. madrono I almost killed by digging it up, it is finally after 4 years coming to life again as a 4’ tree.

I planted 3 in-ground
all around the same time.

One in a fertile mulch heavy area with regular watering is about 3-4 ft (75% shade)
One in full sun in a neglected area is 1 ft, full sun, leaves burn.
One in full shade location, unreplenished soil, no additional water is less than a foot still.

All from the same batch Joshua sent

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 09:42:23 AM »
Seen a few fruiting trees in FL. Nice tree, similar in appearance to G. xanthochymus. Fruit nothing to write home about.

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 02:29:11 PM »
Seen a few fruiting trees in FL. Nice tree, similar in appearance to G. xanthochymus. Fruit nothing to write home about.
According to the Australians there seems to be huge variations in fruit quality with some being sour and some being sweet.  Obviously the Florida trees you are talking about are on the lower end of the quality spectrum whereas the fruit Joshua is referring to definitely seems to be a top quality fruit worth growing.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 06:48:24 PM »
With the name dulcis, one would think so.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 07:00:27 PM »
Which garcinias are good eating?  I know it is subjective, but it seems there are so many.  I've only had purple mangosteen, which was great.  I heard lucs mexican garcinia is good also. 

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2019, 07:05:14 PM »
Which garcinias are good eating?  I know it is subjective, but it seems there are so many.  I've only had purple mangosteen, which was great.  I heard lucs mexican garcinia is good also.
Garcinia humillis/ achachairu.They grow realy slow from seed in the first years.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2019, 08:39:14 PM »
Good to hear, I've got one of those (seedling)

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2019, 11:41:17 AM »
I had a 6ft plus one dry back to the stump this year due to dilute liquid fert applied during the hot months in my area (June/July, 95+ degrees F). Got it a a 4.5ft specimen in 2016 and potted it up in a 15 gal pot. Took the freeze of Jan 2018 like a champ unlike some 3 gal mango trees I planted at the same time that previous fall. I relocated its skeleton and as much rootball to the undercanopy of a grand oak since July. Glad to report it sent out a young shoot. No more liquid ferts for these type of trees.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2019, 07:28:32 AM »
There really isn't such a thing as Garcinia humilis.Achachiarus are still looking for a name.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2019, 09:24:24 PM »
In one genetic study the sweet and sour dulcis were quite different genetically.Look at the link I posted in the dwarf mangosteen thread.