Author Topic: Mangosteen scam  (Read 30244 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Mangosteen scam
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2014, 06:27:14 PM »
Thanks Stuart for report and photos. Yes new leaves are always red, even in mature plants. This is common feature of many garcinia species, and even of some rheedias (new world garcinias).
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2014, 08:58:44 PM »
So I just wanted to post an update on the seeds I bought.
So the mangosteens are 1.5months old since they were received in post and planted on 4 April.
I had four of each set germinate.

Here are the "normal" mangosteens

And here are the so called "dwarfs"
(one of them not pictured was very slow to start and is much less developed and the one in the top left is one of each kind inexpertly approach grafted just for fun and to save space)

So not majorly different especially taking into account the dwarf kind had slightly larger seeds.
I will post more pics in a couple months to see if there seems to be any differentiation in growth rates
Very fun so far even if I am very very sceptical of it flowering in only 16 months time lol I will be happy for them just to be alive by then!

I have no idea what the growth rate of mangosteen is normally like, they are pretty slow though.
Do the new leafs always come out red like that even when mature? I was surprised at how beautiful they are a brilliant pink red.

So far they look perfect, i always like the leaves of mangosteen, they have real solid thick nice leaves. I wished your climate was a little bit warmer for this test. Now if you don't get fruits in 2 years we can blame the climate and not the seeds.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2014, 09:49:56 PM »
You forgot to mention if you've harvested any fruits yet from the dwarf variety. ;)
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2017, 01:42:10 PM »
So I just wanted to post an update on the seeds I bought.
So the mangosteens are 1.5months old since they were received in post and planted on 4 April.
I had four of each set germinate.

Here are the "normal" mangosteens

And here are the so called "dwarfs"
(one of them not pictured was very slow to start and is much less developed and the one in the top left is one of each kind inexpertly approach grafted just for fun and to save space)

So not majorly different especially taking into account the dwarf kind had slightly larger seeds.
I will post more pics in a couple months to see if there seems to be any differentiation in growth rates
Very fun so far even if I am very very sceptical of it flowering in only 16 months time lol I will be happy for them just to be alive by then!

I have no idea what the growth rate of mangosteen is normally like, they are pretty slow though.
Do the new leafs always come out red like that even when mature? I was surprised at how beautiful they are a brilliant pink red.

I came to this topic when seeking for information about how to graft/root garcinia scions....
Never mind... A mangosteen that fruits in two years from seed!? For the sake of curiosity, let me ask you: how the seedlings are going? They fruited?

Thanks!

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2017, 07:38:22 AM »
Did anybody who bought 'dwarf mangosteen' seeds get fruits?

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2017, 08:15:28 AM »

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2017, 12:28:13 PM »
Thank you, Druss.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2019, 09:23:18 PM »
So what happened with the dwarf mangosteens?  It's been five years.   

The youtube video in the most recent comment is not available, not sure what that was.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2019, 09:40:59 AM »
If you use Paypal, there are no issues- Paypal and Ebay protect buyers and refunds are almost always given for a defective or mislabled product.

But as far as seeds, its hard to ask for a refunds months later...after your seeds have grown into plants

I think PayPal only protects you for 6 months, which is usually not long enough for fruiting and confirmation if varietal

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2019, 08:41:02 PM »
I was more curious if dwarf, early fruiting mangosteens are real or imagined by the seller. 

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2019, 09:17:31 PM »
There are no dwarf mangosteens. In fact most are pretty similar but there is variation genetically and take about 10 years to fruit. Some trees in the same conditions grow larger and look distinctively different.Exceptions in juvenile period also occur and one of mine fruited in 5 years and it was selected from a parent that fruited early also.
This small study a few years ago considers some of the genetic variation.
https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1023%2FB%3AEUPH.0000019456.06040.eb.pdf
Variations in fruit and leaf size, leaf thickness and orientation, fruit acidity and seediness seem to have a genetic basis much of the time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk