Author Topic: Nursery selling pecans oversea?  (Read 3920 times)

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
Nursery selling pecans oversea?
« on: December 12, 2015, 07:38:29 AM »
I'm searching for a nursery (from usa/europe) selling some nothern variety of pecan in europe. Bareroot pecans should ship well, and won't probably be damaged by a long wait at the customs, so this may be worth a shot. In europe we have few variety available and most of them are shouthern clones so, unless you live in warmer parts of the continet, you can't grow pecans. But it think that with the right variety the growth limit of this plant can be pushed. So, where i can buy one?
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

googer

• 7a - Kentucky
    • View Profile
Re: Nursery selling pecans oversea?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 07:17:56 PM »
Hey there. I am a pecan enthusiast living in Kentucky and I frequently travel to southern Indiana and Illinois. This region would be considered the northern extent of C. illinoinensis' natural range by any measure. I am currently stratifying seeds from a tree on my parents' property in southern Illinois that is accustomed to very cold winter weather. I know that this tree has been exposed to temperatures of at least -20 C and seems quite happy. I'm confident that it could handle any western European winter. I might be able to find you a few seeds next time I'm out there.

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 08:55:30 PM »
You are very kind. While i will still search some named varieties, i will gladly take your seeds. Will plant them in a continental place in centrail italy, where they will receive a fair amount of heat during summer, and some cold during winter. I hope to see this plant more widespread in europe, but as i said, i think that the common varieties available here aren't very performing here and people should get better selections.
Italian fruit forum

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 01:30:47 AM »
Hi Pancrazio,
I don't know of any specific nursery, but on the european scion-exchange website Fruitiers.net there are a couple of guys in France who have an impressive collection of pecans and hickories. If you sign up for that website you may be able to get in touch with them.

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 07:26:51 AM »
I don't really know how i can have missed this! Your suggestion is good. I'm already a members of fruitiers since the last few years, i'll start researching immediatly. On the other hand a nursery is more reliable because, you know, with fruitiers you must find someone willing to send you scions, and this isn't always the case. I understand that people with the bigger collections probably get a lot of requests and they can't spend all the time sending around scions. But sometimes even if you find a clone, obtaining scions can be hard.

By the way, I was wondering, is someone capable of describing me the flavour profile of Carya ovata?
Italian fruit forum

EuroFruit

• (Southern France)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 04:05:06 PM »
I'm searching for a nursery (from usa/europe) selling some nothern variety of pecan in europe. Bareroot pecans should ship well, and won't probably be damaged by a long wait at the customs, so this may be worth a shot. In europe we have few variety available and most of them are shouthern clones so, unless you live in warmer parts of the continet, you can't grow pecans. But it think that with the right variety the growth limit of this plant can be pushed. So, where i can buy one?

Buongiorno Pancrazio,

Try this place :
http://www.pepinieredubosc.fr/pacaniers/
Maybe they will ship to Italy.

Phil
Currently growing in the ground :
Macadamias, avocados Bacon, Nowels, Fuerte, Negra de la Cruz), Citrus, pistaccio nuts, chirimoya (Campa), Casimiroa edulis and tetrameria,passiflora edulis and alata, musa (Tall & dwarf orinoco, manzano, Tall,& dwarf namwah , Dwarf brazilian, Rajapuri, Goldfinger)

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 05:24:44 PM »
Thank you Phil! I did buy from them two years ago. I was happy with my order and tired to buy from them last year. Sadly they didn't answered to my order neither to the mail inquiring if they were sill in buiseness. Will try with them again this year. I hope to be able to buy from them, becuase they catalogue is very interesting, but then again, i don't know if they are still selling outside of france?
Italian fruit forum

EuroFruit

• (Southern France)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 04:00:26 PM »
Thank you Phil! I did buy from them two years ago. I was happy with my order and tired to buy from them last year. Sadly they didn't answered to my order neither to the mail inquiring if they were sill in buiseness. Will try with them again this year. I hope to be able to buy from them, becuase they catalogue is very interesting, but then again, i don't know if they are still selling outside of france?
Hi Pancrazio,

I ordered from them several Kakis this year.
I am waiting for the plants now.
Nothing to do with this thread but do you know something about chirimoyas cultivation in Calabria ?

Phil
Currently growing in the ground :
Macadamias, avocados Bacon, Nowels, Fuerte, Negra de la Cruz), Citrus, pistaccio nuts, chirimoya (Campa), Casimiroa edulis and tetrameria,passiflora edulis and alata, musa (Tall & dwarf orinoco, manzano, Tall,& dwarf namwah , Dwarf brazilian, Rajapuri, Goldfinger)

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 08:16:26 PM »
I'm sure that you will be happy with them, the plants i ordered from them, barerooted were very nice, healtly, with a root system well developed. Would surely order again, if they were willing to sell to me. Will try in few days.
Regarding the chirimoyas in calabria i know something but not very much, annonaceae aren't my strong point. What do you want to know? If you prefer we can continue this conversation by private message.
Italian fruit forum

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 08:41:37 AM »
If I remember the company name correctly, I ordered some pecans, hicans and hickory trees from this : https://www.grimonut.com/index.php?p=Products   canadian nursery years ago. I bought 12 trees at that time, all survived the transport.

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 08:44:46 PM »
Thank you Radoslav. This nursery seems very good, and knowing that someone has already ordered is a big plus. Bookmarked!
Italian fruit forum