Author Topic: America Has Fallen Out Of Love With Orange Juice  (Read 6751 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
America Has Fallen Out Of Love With Orange Juice
« on: June 09, 2014, 11:00:46 PM »
America has fallen out of love with orange juice.

Sales dropped almost every year for the last decade. Last year, orange juice sales hit their lowest level in at least 15 years, according to Nielsen. Over the same period, per-capita consumption fell roughly 40%. And this year is looking to be another rough one for big orange. Orange juice’s precipitous decline is a big deal. For nearly five decades, the sweet beverage made its way onto more and more American breakfast tables nearly every year. At its height, almost three-quarters of American households bought and kept orange juice in their refrigerator, according to Alissa Hamilton 2009′s book Squeezed: What You Don’t Know About Orange Juice. But shifting American eating habits—which stigmatize sugar and leave little time for breakfast—and surging juice prices have done significant damage to American demand.

Concentrate, Concentrate

America has lived without orange juice before. Until the late 1940s, orange juice wasn’t even a widely available commercial drink. The little orange juice Americans imbibed was either fresh-squeezed, or boiled and then canned—a process which helped preserve the juice, but also made it taste terrible.  After World War II, a group of scientists changed the American orange juice landscape forever. Determined to find a more palatable intersection between preservation and flavor, these scientists developed a new process roughly based on the one they saw used to dehydrate food during the war effort. Instead of boiling the juice, they heated it lightly until water evaporated. Then, they’d add a touch of fresh orange, which gave the concoction a “fresh” taste. Orange juice “from concentrate” was born. As was the industry’s marketing push.  The product was a hit. Per capita orange juice consumption jumped from under eight pounds per person in 1950, to over 20 pounds per person in 1960. Florida’s production of concentrated juice leapt from 226,000 gallons in 1946 to more than 116 million in 1962, according to a report by agricultural economist Robert A. Morris. By 1970, 90% of Florida’s oranges were being used to make orange juice and the vast majority of that was from concentrate.

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
Re: America Has Fallen Out Of Love With Orange Juice
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 11:18:43 PM »
Orange juice is relatively expensive now, and likely to become even more expensive as citrus greening disease hurts production.  Orange juice's high natural sugar content doesn't help sales, either.  It's lost its 'healthy' branding, and suffering from competition from cranberry, pomegranate, etc.

The orange juice industry, led by Tropicana (owned by PepsiCo), Minute Maid and Simply Orange (owned by Coca-Cola), also didn't help their reputation by adding "flavor packs" to boost the flavor.  It boosted flavor, but damaged it's wholesome reputation.  The flavor packs are concocted from orange peel, so it's not listed separately as an ingredient.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 03:06:21 PM by jcaldeira »
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 02:57:02 PM »
I quit drinking orange juice when I realized I could eat something like four oranges for the same calorie intake, and the oranges taste much better and are more filling.  The flavor pack thing is just dishonest, too.  I don't think there is anything evil about using them, but the "fresh squeezed" marketing should not be allowed by FTC.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 03:00:01 PM »
I find this very true to myself. Orange juice has turned me off knowing that most of it is concentrate and has other additives. I love fresh orange slices, but have not touched the juice for a while (unless I run into a fresh squeeze juice stand). The same holds true for me, I skip breakfast half the time.. and if I do have breakfast its usually something small like yogurt or a banana.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 10:01:41 PM »
Some people who are into the study of citrus, might have heard about flavor packs being added back into orange juice.   I believe the general work a day public knows nothing of flavor packs- Millet

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 10:45:45 PM »
Some people who are into the study of citrus, might have heard about flavor packs being added back into orange juice.   I believe the general work a day public knows nothing of flavor packs- Millet
You may be right, but OJ has had widespread bad press during the last few years due to the processing and sugar content. The 2009 book
"Squeezed: What You Don't Know About Orange Juice" is widely cited.   
http://squeezed.yupnet.org/

There's also a stream of bad press lately, such as these:

The Atlantic magazine: Misunderstanding Orange Juice as a Health Drink
  http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/02/misunderstanding-orange-juice-as-a-health-drink/283579/

and on the internet: Orange juice? That's like drinking soda for breakfast!
http://www.treehugger.com/green-food/if-you-think-orange-juice-healthy-its-time-reconsider.html

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 11:11:11 PM »
John, I believe your correct that the bad press that orange juice has been under lately, plus the competition from other high anti-oxidant drinks such as pomegranate juice and others are factors in some of the decline of OJ sales. - Millet
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 11:13:49 PM by Millet »

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 12:46:16 AM »
Let that be a lesson to us.   The orange industry developed varieties that were very sweet, with a high sugar content, and it ends up hurting sales.

Of course the over-processing rap they did to themselves too.

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 12:34:33 PM »
I have read that as a result of citrus greening the commercial growers are now using between seven and 10 times the amount of pesticides that they used to use on orange trees. 

Knowing that the pesticide use has increased so much this just doesn't make me want to consume more orange juice
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:45:42 PM by Millet »
Brad

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 06:44:15 PM »
Love me some Natalie's brand orange juice (sold at Publix). Expensive as hell, but delicious.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 01:44:18 PM »
AMAZING INSIDE”  and “The AMAZING 6,” are the new tag lines designed to communicate the benefits of Florida orange juice and will serve as future marketing communications.

“The new tag lines will be executed domestically and also internationally on many websites and social media channels and will utilize celebrity spokespersons while also empowering loyal OJ fans as brand ambassadors.”

This  new advertising effort is badly needed, according to other industry leaders. This is definitely a very challenging time for Florida citrus. The single biggest concern, is a recent barrage of negative media reporting about orange juice. "It is ridiculous that orange juice has become the boogeyman that’s supposedly making our children obese and giving people diabetes,” Meadows said. “It’s gotten to the point where [the negative publicity] is out of control.  And it’s frustrating to me. It’s frustrating to our growers. But it’s become a convenient sound bite for so-called nutrition experts to say orange juice is bad for you. And there is no doubt it has had negative impact on consumer demand and sales. Doug Bournique, executive vice president of Indian River Citrus League, agreed that negative reporting has damaged the industry’s image and financial bottom line.

Meanwhile, Florida’s orange production has continued to decline, according to the latest numbers from USDA, which downgraded its estimate of 2014 production to 110 million boxes, an 18 percent drop from last year. - Millet

Total citrus acreage is down to just 50-60 percent of what it was at the industry’s peak a decade ago. And net production has been cut in half.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 02:02:42 PM by Millet »

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 01:26:29 AM »
I've never cared for bottled Orange juice.  Even as a chid I only liked "Sunny D", but that's not even "real" orange juice.  Then at some point I tried fresh squeezed, and it was much better which lead me to believe the bottlers press the entire fruit when making juice.  The bitterness from the pith and oils from the peel make it sour, which upsets my stomach. 

Long story short, if they want my money then they need to remove the bitterness. 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 04:10:54 AM »
Stuff sold in supermarkets i don't even consider it to be orange juice. It is orange juice concentrate with who knows what else added in. Try juicing some oranges. That real orange juice will keep for a very short time. Stuff in supermarkets keeps for a very long time. But it doesn't taste like real orange juice and it doesn't have the nutritional benefits that real orange juice is going to give you.
It takes about 5 minutes, if you have a juicer, to make your own glass of fresh orange juice every day. And you can squeeze them without adding all the peel oils that are in the concentrates.
Real orange juice every morning is like a glass of liquid sunshine. Stuff from the supermarkets is a deadly cocktail of pesticides, artificial flavorings, and probably preservatives and artificial coloring. If you can grow your own fruit then you will know exactly what is in it....and there is nothing like the satisfaction of your own fresh squeezed fruit.
Oscar

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 09:59:54 AM »
NEW YORK June 24,2014—U.S. orange-juice retail sales fell to the lowest level in 12 years as consumer demand for what was once a staple of the American breakfast table continues to drop.

U.S. consumers bought 36.99 million gallons of orange juice during the four weeks ended June 7, down 6.9% from a similar period a year ago, according to Nielsen data published Monday by the Florida Department of Citrus. - Millet

MassSpectrum

• Tampa, FL, USA Zone 9B/10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 11:00:55 PM »
More for me YES! Although fresh squeezed is the big league.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 11:03:10 PM »
funny I just got some indian river juice the other day....I love orange juice!

I hope some die hard growers keep the industry thriving...without using genetically modified plants.  I know they can find a naturally occurring resistant rootstock!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 12:54:14 PM »
Went to a restaurant this morning for breakfast. A man at the next table had ordered, and was drinking a glass of orange juice.  Things are looking up! - Millet

Slopfog

• Port St. Lucie, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 11:57:40 PM »
I drive past the Tropicana plant often. In the winter time when they are making concentrate it smells horrible. And especially now i taste that same smell in the juice. I only drink fresh squeezed, which I buy locally and freeze for drinking in the off season. It survives freezing with minimal impact to quality, so I'm unsure of why the industry doesn't freeze and distribute.

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 10:41:45 AM »
My God we go thru a gallon or more a week! LOVE orange juice!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 10:48:44 AM by Millet »
Joe

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2014, 10:52:49 AM »
I have diabetes, so can't drink orange juice, but can eat oranges, which I really like. Page mandarin, Xie  Shan satsuma and Cara Cara are my favorites.  Ponkan is also great. - Millet

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 10:52:46 AM »
Anyone who delights in freshly squeezed orange juice or eats grapefruit for breakfast should take a moment to stop and savor the taste of those citrus fruits. Many of them are at risk of being destroyed by a disease spread by an invasive pest that's been sweeping across the citrus-producing regions of the world.
"It's horrible — it's a disaster," says Fred Gmitter, a professor of horticulture science at the University of Florida Citrus Research and Education Center.

It might be time to kiss your OJ goodbye, unless science steps in to save the day.

At least 70% of Florida's citrus trees are already infected by the disease, known as citrus greening, huanglongbing, or occasionally just with an ominous "it," as in "It's here."

Florida's citrus crop this year is the lowest it's been in 30 years, and agricultural authorities have continued to lower their production estimates. Orange-juice prices are up nearly 20% this year alone and will continue to rise. The disease was a major factor in the lime shortage that made the price of a box of Persian limes jump from $18 to $85 last December. Prices could jump higher for oranges. Researchers and growers say that if a cure isn't found, the entire $9 billion Florida citrus industry could be destroyed.
Millet

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 10:34:19 AM »
U.S. consumers bought 36.11 million gallons of orange juice in the four weeks ended July 5, down 8.3% from a similar period a year ago, according to Nielsen data. A greater variety of beverages, including more exotic fruit juices such as açai, energy drinks and flavored waters, have taken market share away from orange juice, analysts and traders say
. - Millet