Author Topic: Wanted: Gold Nugget Mandarin  (Read 17812 times)

kingoceanos

• U.S.A. Texas,Conroe 77303 8B
    • View Profile
Wanted: Gold Nugget Mandarin
« on: April 15, 2014, 01:45:40 PM »
Hi, I would like to get one of these, however no one seems to carry them in my area. If anyone knows where I can get one, or has one they could sell me I would appreciate it. I will also take scions if anyone has any, I will graft it to a local variety.
Thank you.

RyanL

• Orange County, NC.
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: Gold Nugget Mandarin
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 05:02:20 PM »
I think Logees and Four winds sells them.

kingoceanos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 09:53:27 PM »
Thanks, but they won't ship to Texas.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 11:04:02 PM »
Because you are in Texas, a citrus growing state, no company outside of the state of Texas can ship a citrus tree into your state.  You will have to find an in state supplier to obtain your tree.  Just three days ago I tasted my first Gold Nugget Mandarin , and I must say it was exceptional, really exceptional. - Millet

redster

• new orleans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 11:27:47 PM »
Ive been eating store bought for 2weeks now, I do believe they are my favorites now. Millet do these companies police themselves or is it my responsibility? I bought my nugget from 4 winds 2 years or so ago, I didnt seem to have problems...I did check with the ag center to make sure, but with the quarantines ever changing who knows what the rules are anymore
owari satsuma, ruby red grapefruit, sunburst tangerine, meyer lemon, ponkan mandarin, st ann satsuma,  gold nugget mandarin, nagami kumquat, pineapples

kingoceanos

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 11:52:43 PM »
My best chance for obtaining one is from an individual, (preferable within the state). They would have gotten it before the ban or moved here with it. From what I've been told any state other than California and Florida can ship me one. I don't think scions are included in the restrictions, but I could be wrong. I would be willing to graft scions, if I can get them. I have a old dancy that has never really produced, (good tasting fruit). I have several other citrus trees I bought home from a trip to Disney in Florida about twenty years ago, before all the bans started, that have done well and produce good fruit every year.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 12:24:10 AM »
No citrus scions or plants from out of state can legally be shipped to Texas. The only way to get scions from out of state legally is thru the Texas budwood bureau. They can get you budwood from CCPP.

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 01:37:54 AM »
Perhaps a good substitute would be seedless kishu mandarin.  Those should not be too hard to find in our state.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 07:18:02 AM »
Please please don't circumvent the ban! Most anything you could want is available in Texas.  Keep looking you should be able to find it.  Don't give anyone outside of the state the opportunity to break the law by not approaching them in the first place.  It is not just the economy of the fruit growers that could be affected by this, it absolutely could affect your local economy.  Take personal responsiblity. 

HLB is scary stuff. 

kingoceanos

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 08:43:05 AM »
Thanks, I will keep looking for someone within the state of Texas to get scions or a tree from. I am not trying to break any laws or get anyone in trouble, I just want this particular tree because of the reported flavor and long hang time. I am sorry my post seems to have caused some controversy among the members here.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 04:51:00 PM »
Redster  yes,  citrus suppliers police themselves.  After tasting Gold Nugget, I wanted to buy a Gold Nugget tree, to add to my collection.  Harris Citrus in Florida does not offer them, Four winds Growers in California is out of stock on both their 1-year old and 3-year old trees.  Logees does currently has them in stock, but only in a small 4" container size.  Four Winds sells their 1-year old tree for $25.00, and their 3-year old trees at $43.00.   Logees wants $29.95 for a Gold Nugget tree in a tiny 4" pot. - Millet
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 06:51:19 PM by Millet »

harveyc

• Isleton, Calif (Sunset zone 14, USDA 9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 01:21:27 AM »
I've probably eaten about 100 Gold Nugget over the past 4-6 weeks and am nearly running out.  Wish I could share budwood but it's not worth the risk.  As MrTexas said, why not go through the Texas Budwood Bureau?  I have read in a Texas rarefruit discussion group that they are expecting an order of budwood coming soon.

kingoceanos

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 07:51:19 AM »
Thanks. I will check with them. (Not on their list yet). I will give them a call later.

Scott_6B

• North Shore, Massachusetts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 10:00:00 AM »
Millet,
Bayflora.com has Gold Nuggets in stock, they are all on FD rootstock, but are rather expensive ~$70.  The grafted trees from Logee's are not that bad, they are generally about the same size as the $20 FourWinds (or Harris Citrus) trees.  The main difference is that they will be root bound in their 4" pots, but the overall canopy size and root mass are relatively similar in my experience. Here's a pic of one of the Logee's 4" pot grafted trees (I don't remember which variety this is... either Gold Nugget or Vaniglia Sanguigno). The picture is from this past winter.  The Logee's trees that are rooted cuttings are much more hit and miss regarding their size... some of those are quite small.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 11:59:23 PM »
Thanks Scott, I will let you know, as I ordered one from Logees because they were the only source.  I also put my name on the waiting list at Four Winds Growers.  After I get the Logees tree, if it is a runt, I will order one from Bayfloral.  Again thanks for the tip, it is much appreciated. - Millet

GregMartin

• USA, Maine, zone 5
    • View Profile
    • Maine Biochar
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 06:17:42 AM »
Scott, what is that table to the left?  Looks a bit intimidating along that lower edge!

Scott_6B

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 12:03:12 PM »
Greg, I guess it does look a bit intimidating!  Logees has these weird custom made tables designed to fit their 4 inch pots.  It would look even more intimidating if you could see the top of the table.  The tables consist of several parallel square metal bars spaced just right so that the 4 inch pots will fit in between and will be suspended by the bars just a few inches above the corrugated metal bottom of the table you can see in the picture.

As an added note, the ponderosa lemon on the right is just a small corner of the 110+ year old tree planted inside one of  the greenhouses.

Millet, I hope your Gold Nugget turns out well!  My Gold Nugget (from Four Winds) that I have planted outside is getting ready to flower soon. I probably would have gone with the tree from Bayflora when I got mine last year as they were on FD... but Bayflora (and Logees) were out of stock when I ordered. 

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 05:13:33 PM »
Scott I went ahead an ordered a Gold Nugget (5-Gallon sized tree) from Bayflora.  The tree was quite pricey - $97.57 after freight was added.  So now I am getting two trees. One from Bayflora,  and the one from Logees.  Thanks, for the information.  Actually, I had never heard about Bayflora before you told me about them - Millet

Scott_6B

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 09:54:57 AM »
Millet, let me know how the Bayflora tree turns out.  I haven't ordered anything from Bayflora, but did have a few conversations with them last year, they were quite knowledgeable, and even recommended trying Fourwinds since they did not have any of the Gold Nuggets in stock.  I like that they graft their trees on to FD rootstock... there are few places that do this as a general rule.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2014, 07:37:51 PM »
Scott, I received the Gold Nugget mandarin from Bayfloral today by UPS.  The packaging was excellent, the tree healthy, the shape of the scion was well balanced.  Over all I was satisfied.  There was a lot of positives with the company and the tree. The negatives were 1) the price of the tree at $97.57, and 2) I was a little disappointed about the size of the tree, which was sold as a 5-gallon tree. Over all, would I buy from Bayfloral again  - Yes I certainly would.  I would just say I like Four Winds Growers tree's a little better, and their pricing is much more completive.  Anyway I got the tree  that I wanted, and I thank you for letting me know about Bayfloral. - Millet

Newbe

• Sweden/Stockholm
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2014, 03:56:18 PM »
Have been looking for a Golden Nugget in Europe for some time,
seems to be hard to find for sale on internet.

Anyone that knows a retailer that ships abroad and carry GN?

Scott_6B

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2014, 07:53:28 PM »
Millet, good to hear you are happy with the tree from Bayflora. I like that they graft on FD, but that may also be a factor in the tree being a bit undersized. For what it's worth, I thought my Gold Nugget from Four Winds was a bit small too.

Newbe, I do not believe it is possible to export citrus trees or budwood out of the US.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2014, 07:08:28 PM »
My 4" potted Gold Nugget Mandarin arrived today from Logees greenhouse.  The tree was about 18" tall with two medium side branches and two newly emerging side branches at the top of the tree.   The scion portion of the tree look quite healthy.  Due to  the tree spending its whole life inside a 4" pot, the root system was very root bound.  I washed out all the medium (1/4" pine bark and a little peat), unraveled the root system and temporarily transplanted it into a 1 gallon container.   I have a 3-gallon Air Root Pruning container (ARPC) which I filled with cedar mulch soaking over night.  Tomorrow I will again transplant the Gold Nugget into its permanent 3-gallon home.  The full price of the  Logees Gold Nugget tree was $29.95 for the tree, $11.95 shipping & handling, making a total of $41.90.  Not all that expensive, but still it was a 4" container tree.   It should grow up and become a good tree. In the end I was mostly satisfied- Millet

Blake Branch

• Manor, GA, USA USDA zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 10:33:46 PM »
Millet,  what was the depth of the 4" pot you got from Logee's greenhouse?

RyanL

• Orange County, NC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2014, 09:22:47 AM »
My opinion on GN has changed over time/tasting a them over the years. They are a really good fruit. Initially, I though of them as somewhat flat with only sweetness as the flavor, But I don't think that true, they have a really nice sweet mild flavor with some floral notes. Seedless, very easy to peel, very oily skin and later season than normal adds to the appeal. Good choice Millet, Since I don't have one, I may follow your lead and purchase one.