Author Topic: Input on a decision  (Read 4895 times)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Input on a decision
« on: July 15, 2017, 08:00:09 PM »
I recently started some cherimoya seeds in the hope of over the next few years growing out and enroute, grafting on some annonas.  Hope to get help from Dom and others who have posted on the forum.  Bottom line the long view.

I walked in to a nursery today and saw what the buy called a cherimoya in a 7 gallon pot for $75.  It had flowers on.
I am thinking this changes everything.  First it shows perhaps I can get fruit on a cherimoya (not just the annona grafted on it)  It also cuts out a couple of years.  It essentially jumpstarts everything.

So here is my question, would you trade a quick route to the endgame for the joy of starting your plants and executing a plan?

Please let me know what you would do.

lisar

• Saint James City
    • View Profile
Re: Input on a decision
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 09:00:22 PM »
Do both ;D

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 09:43:51 PM »
Do both ;D

No help, that should be an either or question  :)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 10:09:56 PM »
What did the leaves look like?  What condition were the leaves in in general?  Where was the nursery?

My guess is what you saw a a chirimoya, or commonly known as a custard apple (A. retuculata).
- Rob

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 10:48:12 PM »
I can get photos tomorrow.
What should I be looking for?

Do the length of the flowers help, they were about an inch exactly.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 10:55:23 PM »
I can get photos tomorrow.
What should I be looking for?

Do the length of the flowers help, they were about an inch exactly.

Leaves should basically identify the tree.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 12:07:12 AM »
What did the leaves look like?  What condition were the leaves in in general?  Where was the nursery?

My guess is what you saw a a chirimoya, or commonly known as a custard apple (A. retuculata).
Rob, just FYI, chirimoya = Annona cherimola= cherimoya in almost all of latin america. I think only the cubans call Annona reticulata as chirimoya.
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 12:16:40 AM »

Rob, just FYI, chirimoya = Annona cherimola= cherimoya in almost all of latin america. I think only the cubans call Annona reticulata as chirimoya.

I know the difference.  Lol

truly hI am referring only to SFla.  I have never seen A. cherimola/cherimoya spelled with an "i".  I also do not think there are any nurseries here propagating and/or selling cherimola.  Every instance I have seen someone thinks its a cherimoya, ut turns out to be reticulata.  Down here, its not uncommon to see it identified as chirimoya when refwrring to reticulata as we have a lot if Cubans in SFla.  You can also here ut in the lronu ciation depending on who is saying the word.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 12:42:57 AM »

truly hI am referring only to SFla.  I have never seen A. cherimola/cherimoya spelled with an "i".  I also do not think there are any nurseries here propagating and/or selling cherimola.  Every instance I have seen someone thinks its a cherimoya, ut turns out to be reticulata.  Down here, its not uncommon to see it identified as chirimoya when refwrring to reticulata as we have a lot if Cubans in SFla.  You can also here ut in the lronu ciation depending on who is saying the word.
OK good. But keep in mind these postings are read by many people outside of Florida.
In countries where fruit is native: Argentina, Peru, Chile, the cherimoya is called chirimoya.
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 01:23:08 AM »

OK good. But keep in mind these postings are read by many people outside of Florida.
In countries where fruit is native: Argentina, Peru, Chile, the cherimoya is called chirimoya.

True.  Many times a response is directed at the OP (without thought as to other's "translation"), who in this case is in SFla.
- Rob

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 04:19:00 PM »
Went by, nursery closed today.  Will try Monday if I can get home quickly enough.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 03:10:46 PM »
So I went back and took photos.

This shows a branch and flower

Focusing on the leaves

More branches

Leaves showing the underside

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 03:17:24 PM »

The leaves were green and lush and on the plant, none falling off. About 8 to 9 inches long.
Below is a front and back photo of one leaf I took off.
Nursery (more like serious enthusiast) is in Jupiter

By the way, there were 3 trees.  The earlier pictures were from the 1st and the leaf from the third.  In case they are different trees :)

Do these photos help, is this a chirimoya or cherimoya

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 03:46:36 PM »
Chirimoya is cherimoya, same tree from different languages. That tree is an atemoya.
Grab that tree so you can stop thinking about it.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 04:21:34 PM »
chirimoya and cherimoya are different trees. chirimoya, as Rob already stated, is custard apple.

that pic looks more like an atemoya or cherimoya than a custard apple to me.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2017, 04:27:42 PM »
chirimoya and cherimoya are different trees. chirimoya, as Rob already stated, is custard apple.

Does not look like cherimoya aka A. cherimola.
- Rob

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2017, 04:49:58 PM »

Does not look like cherimoya aka A. cherimola.

Rob what am I looking for int he leaf or tree?  I'd like to be able to tell the difference.
What do you think this plant is?

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2017, 05:35:26 PM »

As Oscar explained chirimoya in Spanish is Annona cherimola, with Cubans being the exception, that use that name for A. reticulata. In the rest of countries chirimoya is what you call in English cherimoya while custard apple has many names depending on the region/country: anona roja (red anona), anona rosa, anona de seso (brain anona), corazón de buey (bull heart), cachimán...

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2017, 07:42:02 PM »
The tree in the pictures is looks like A. reticulata to me: elongated pointy somewhat shiny leaves, short flowers flowering in clusters are the two main factors that stand out to me. It definitely isn't a cherimoya.

Cherimoya flowers just fine in Florida and sets fruit OK too. The trick is getting it to hold fruit to maturity, which is fairly rare so far. My understanding is it will hold fruit until the seeds are viable and stop developing shortly after.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 07:48:17 PM by TheDom »
Dom

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2017, 08:11:19 PM »
Let's put an end to this nonsense

focus on the leaves

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2017, 08:42:00 PM »

focus on the leaves

So the top one is a Cuban chirimoya and the bottom one is a Latin American chirimoya?  ;)
Dom

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2017, 09:01:49 PM »

focus on the leaves

JF, lets.
What are the 4 leaves.
Is Dom's summary correct?
Kindly expand so all is clear.

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2017, 10:31:33 PM »

focus on the leaves

JF, lets.
What are the 4 leaves.
Is Dom's summary correct?
Kindly expand so all is clear.

I was messing with JF above, sorry if that confused things. In his picture the top is A. reticulata and the bottom is A. cherimola. The tree you saw locally is unequivocally A. reticulata, which many Cubans refer to as "chirimoya."
Dom

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2017, 11:18:10 PM »
Relax Orki Nick and I are good friends
I'll explain later

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2017, 12:54:21 AM »
Most of youare missing the point in what I was saying...but then again it doesn't surprise me.

When I see a South Florida nursery label a tree as "cherimoya" or "chirimoya" or verbally convey as that name, it is almost a given they are referring to A. retuculata or Custard Apple. For one, we have a fairly strong Cuban population (with its close proximity and past wet foot dry.foot) and second, we are in South Fliruda and I dont know if any nur8propagating and/or selling Cherimoya or A. cherimola.

This is not the first time this has been brought up.  There are past posts with the same topic/subject matter.
- Rob