Author Topic: Jaboticaba Grove in Central FL (Flying Fox Fruits)  (Read 48505 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Jaboticaba Grove in Central FL (Flying Fox Fruits)
« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2016, 05:36:28 PM »
Looking good Adam. Now that you've run PVC pipe out to that area here is a suggestion. It would be possible to also run a drip system off that very same PVC pipe. All you would need are some on-off switches at every sprinkler to shut off the sprinklers for when you want to run the drip system. You also would need a pressure regulator to bring down the pressure to 30 pounds or less, and a few adapters to make an outlet to plug into the polyurethane drip tubing.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2016, 06:38:28 PM »
Looking good Adam. Now that you've run PVC pipe out to that area here is a suggestion. It would be possible to also run a drip system off that very same PVC pipe. All you would need are some on-off switches at every sprinkler to shut off the sprinklers for when you want to run the drip system. You also would need a pressure regulator to bring down the pressure to 30 pounds or less, and a few adapters to make an outlet to plug into the polyurethane drip tubing.

that is true...it would be really easy to set up, all i'd need is some valves, and some T's...I could open up about 10 lines, and flood the grove.  The soil percolation is so poor that I won't even need to put a sprinkler under each tree....I've left a hose on before, and it quickly covers a large area with water.

maybe I will get the drip set up later this year...but I'm already thinking of how I'm going to cover these trees with a frame...probably not until next winter though.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2016, 08:27:04 AM »
After seeing your grove, I think I would put in tall posts every ten feet or so and have steel piping or some kind of sturdy rods running between them on the outside, throw a clear plastic over them and see if you can find used army tank camo spreader poles and run them up in the middle to where you need to put a slant on the plastic. Obviously not the prettiest solution but shouldn't cost too much, especially if it saves them from a frost. Once you have the posts up, the rest you could put up and take down fairly quickly as needed. Then you just have the temp issue to worry about if it gets that bad.

clannewton

• Brevard County, Melbourne , FL 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2016, 08:28:19 AM »
Here is my version of a "mini grove" of jabotacaba also here in Central Florida.  I was also counting on the sprinkler spray to provide not only irrigation but wanted to use it for freeze protection.  Maybe I will have to also see if I should try to enclose the area during potential freezes.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2016, 10:11:44 AM »
Looks great!!!

Thanks for sharing!

I bet you will be much warmer than me, and probably won't need to make an enclosure...I'm in a very cold pocket!

Here is my version of a "mini grove" of jabotacaba also here in Central Florida.  I was also counting on the sprinkler spray to provide not only irrigation but wanted to use it for freeze protection.  Maybe I will have to also see if I should try to enclose the area during potential freezes.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2016, 12:56:27 AM »
found another tree blooming in the grove today!  I think there must be more, but I haven't had time to look closely.

based on the system I set up, the code for the tree would be #6E (the grove is arranged in a square 8 x 8... the northern most row is "A", the southernmost is 'H', and the columns are numbered 1-8, from west to east) 

I will keep logging updates of which trees have began to bloom, and when the last tree finally starts.

here is a little diagram of the grove, to make it easier to visualize the placement of each tree.  "X" marks the spot of tree that has confirmed blooms.

A oooxoooo
B oooooooo
C oooooooo
D oooooooo
E oooooxoo       
F oooooooo
G oooooooo
H oooooooo

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 12:59:27 AM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2016, 11:49:28 AM »
Found another tree blooming today, #6B

A oooxoooo
B oooooxoo
C oooooooo
D oooooooo
E oooooxoo       
F oooooooo
G oooooooo
H oooooooo
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2016, 04:46:36 PM »
last night was about 30-32F.

had ice and frost outside...but under the overhead irrigation was above 36F at all times

here are some pics from this morning:

frost right next to the grove...I assume there's more because of all the mist that drifted over from the irrigation system

pic of the trees in the grove, no ice...temps around 36-38F during coldest hours

some ice that formed, on a puddle left out in the open

new leaves, only have minor burn (without overhead irrigation protection, they would have been burned, or wilted)

some flowers, still unharmed by the freezing weather.  Overhead irrigation is great for protection (especially for mild freezes, with no wind)

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Grapebush

• Portugal, Madeira Island, Funchal, 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2016, 05:19:19 PM »
found another tree blooming in the grove today!  I think there must be more, but I haven't had time to look closely.

based on the system I set up, the code for the tree would be #6E (the grove is arranged in a square 8 x 8... the northern most row is "A", the southernmost is 'H', and the columns are numbered 1-8, from west to east) 

I will keep logging updates of which trees have began to bloom, and when the last tree finally starts.

here is a little diagram of the grove, to make it easier to visualize the placement of each tree.  "X" marks the spot of tree that has confirmed blooms.

A oooxoooo
B oooooooo
C oooooooo
D oooooooo
E oooooxoo       
F oooooooo
G oooooooo
H oooooooo

You arranged your grove like a Chess Board... lol    Do you intend to play a chess game with your Jaboticabas?
Life is all about learning, but sometimes, the more you learn, the less you seem to know...

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2016, 05:33:34 PM »
lol, that's just a cool kawinkydink

but I was thinking something along the lines of battle ship!

who's going to guess the next direct hit?  which tree is going to flower next? H6?

LOL

! No longer available

A oooxoooo
B oooooooo
C oooooooo
D oooooooo
E oooooxoo       
F oooooooo
G oooooooo
H oooooooo

You arranged your grove like a Chess Board... lol    Do you intend to play a chess game with your Jaboticabas?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2016, 06:03:46 PM »
lol, that's just a cool kawinkydink

but I was thinking something along the lines of battle ship!

who's going to guess the next direct hit?  which tree is going to flower next? H6?

LOL

! No longer available

A oooxoooo
B oooooooo
C oooooooo
D oooooooo
E oooooxoo       
F oooooooo
G oooooooo
H oooooooo

That's not going to be a fair game, as you know the battlefield better than anyone else... lol
Life is all about learning, but sometimes, the more you learn, the less you seem to know...

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #112 on: January 20, 2016, 06:37:05 PM »
Actually it's hard to tell which tree will flower next ... There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason...some of the shorter trees have bloomed before the larger ones.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 20, 2016, 06:56:24 PM »
Actually it's hard to tell which tree will flower next ... There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason...some of the shorter trees have bloomed before the larger ones.

I know they're quite tricky, about blooming age, size... My mother in law, have one that she brought from Brasil, and that should be arround 10 years old, more than 2 meters high, quite thick trunk, seems happy, but never flowered... She's starting to desperate, as she loves the fruit, and it is her childhood fruit (she's brasilian), and the tree doesn't want to cooperate... lol

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2016, 07:03:37 PM »

I know they're quite tricky, about blooming age, size... My mother in law, have one that she brought from Brasil, and that should be arround 10 years old, more than 2 meters high, quite thick trunk, seems happy, but never flowered... She's starting to desperate, as she loves the fruit, and it is her childhood fruit (she's brasilian), and the tree doesn't want to cooperate... lol

tell her to grow hibrida / precoce (what we call Red jaboticaba in USA)....it fruits much quicker from seed, in about 2.5-5yr ...the red jaboticaba grove i have planted is only about 3.5yr old...most of them should start fruiting by this year
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2016, 07:32:16 PM »

tell her to grow hibrida / precoce (what we call Red jaboticaba in USA)....it fruits much quicker from seed, in about 2.5-5yr ...the red jaboticaba grove i have planted is only about 3.5yr old...most of them should start fruiting by this year

She don't even know what species and variety it is.
And I'm not sure if she can easily get the red one down there (yeah, I know it is hilarious, they come from there, but it seems it's not easy to find most species/varieties, down there). Let's see if one of these days I would be able to get some seeds and try to grow the red one.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2016, 10:29:26 AM »

Time for a haircut, Flying Fox style! 8)
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2016, 11:19:13 AM »
Glad you made it threw the frost event Adam, I predict that G-3 or6 will bloom next ;) 8)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2016, 01:47:25 PM »
Glad you made it threw the frost event Adam, I predict that G-3 or6 will bloom next ;) 8)

thanks Robert!  it was a good learning experience...I feel somewhat secure knowing I can keep stuff alive here (in a super cold pocket!), without having to use propane heaters for every freeze....the greenhouse and the grove both benefited from the well water, overhead irrigation method.

I will go out and check your numbers today...maybe you will sink my battleship!?

I remember some nice trees in that region of the game board!

Lol each member gets two chances to guess  :P
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2016, 01:51:58 PM »
Hows the rest of your trees you planted around your yard doing, Like the Lucs mangosteen, lemon drop mangosteen, Myrciaria trunciflora, pineapples, any of them or others get burned.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2016, 02:08:20 PM »
Hows the rest of your trees you planted around your yard doing, Like the Lucs mangosteen, lemon drop mangosteen, Myrciaria trunciflora, pineapples, any of them or others get burned.

I will txt you some cool pics of the Lucs...I went all out to protect it...and wasn't even necessary really...lol...

I protected all the garcinias in ground (livingstoneii was flowering and has a fruit still, seashore mangosteen is AOK, lemon drop has flowers trying to form)

the only garcinia i didn't protect was the achachairu!  it was totally unharmed

Plinia trunciflora barely got red leaves (i actually have some scions on a cocktail jaboticaba i'm making, in the ground, and it's still pushing out new growth without being burned...in a protected spot)

one of the grafted P. coronata lost a bunch of leaves, but i think this was due to stress, and drought...I have another one just like it that didn't lose any leaves.

some vente colho bananas got frost burn..

had some eugenia reinwardtianas fruiting, and they held fruit and are still flowering, but new growth did get burned...

no damage to new growth on Eugenia involucrata

had some E. calycinas that were trying to flower in pots, and moved them against the house...looks like the leaves turned red, and they want to shut down...but are on the fence...the new growth is fine, and the flowers are hanging on with no damage.

E. pitanga is fine, but leaves are red, and i see flowers trying to form...

E. itaguahiensis is trying to flower, no damage to leaves

Rollinia deliciosa (annona mucosa) planted small seedlings in ground, none have damage (except for one, with brown leaves, but is alive and well)

junglesop in the green house is pushing out new leaves, (really big leaves about 1.5ft long), and some got damage by the cold....but the tree is still pushing out new leaves that are fine...almost hitting the 10ft tall roof!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2016, 02:46:07 PM »
ScottR,

I went out and checked your trees 6G, and 3G...close but no flowers I could find.

BUT!  I did find a new tree that's flowering!

I will post the updated chart of the grove soon!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 05:04:29 PM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2016, 08:23:12 PM »
each forum member gets 2 guesses, who will be first to sink my battleship, and guess which is the next tree to flower? (win 10 red jaboticaba seeds, free shipping)

which number and letter combination is a direct hit? (G3and G6 have already been guessed)

x marks trees that have already flowered, or have already been guessed.

A oooxoooo
B oooooxoo
C oooooooo
D oooooooo
E oooooxoo       
F oooooooo
G ooxooxoo
H oooooooo

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2016, 08:53:42 PM »
I will attack the battlefield, using a B2 bomber, and if I hit your ship, maybe the G8 group will have a meeting to decide about this war... lol

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2016, 09:35:38 PM »
F5 and d4 are my choices  8)
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk