Author Topic: Lots of mango varieties available at Excalibur  (Read 5176 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Lots of mango varieties available at Excalibur
« on: August 08, 2015, 10:17:19 AM »
I stopped by Excalibur in Lake Worth yesterday and they had about 22 different varieties of mangos for sale. The majority were new Zill varieties.

Mangorilla the Uslurper

• USA
    • View Profile
Re: Lots of mango varieties available at Excalibur
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 11:59:26 AM »
That place is great. I was there a couple of months ago and tried my first Carrie. The verdict is I'm on the Carrie lovers side

Broman

• Yes, I'm a mango fanatic and I'm proud of it!
    • Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 12:37:45 PM »
My good friend lives in the Gardens area and stopped "Excaliber" today to get me a new tree, I'm sooo stoked! He says they have a huge selection and were very helpful!
He picked me up a "Golden Nugget Mango" tree, I can wait to get her in the ground!!! Does anyone have a Golden Nugget? Any tips of pruning her and grow habits would be great! :)

Thanks for the pics! I can't wait to visit that nursery, I've heard a lot of great things about them.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 12:53:47 PM »
Just when I thought mango season was over.

Thanks for the heads up.  Just between us, which of those new numbered varieties is "the best" ?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 12:58:15 PM »
40-33 is good.  C-12 is pretty good too.
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 04:11:48 PM »
He picked me up a "Golden Nugget Mango" tree, I can wait to get her in the ground!!! Does anyone have a Golden Nugget? Any tips of pruning her and grow habits would be great! :)

My last gold nugget fruit are on the tree so its kind of late season tree. It is solid and reliable bearer. My tree has not grown crazy fast which I like. The fruit is about 7 out of 10 on taste. Not prone to disease

Broman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 06:39:11 PM »

My last gold nugget fruit are on the tree so its kind of late season tree. It is solid and reliable bearer. My tree has not grown crazy fast which I like. The fruit is about 7 out of 10 on taste. Not prone to disease
[/quote]

How about the canopy and pruning? Does it respond well to pruning? The lady was trying to get my friend to buy an "Ugly Betty" instead of the golden nugget. I couldn't find info on the Betty quick enough. How's the yield on your G.Nugget?

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 09:35:53 AM »

How about the canopy and pruning? Does it respond well to pruning? The lady was trying to get my friend to buy an "Ugly Betty" instead of the golden nugget. I couldn't find info on the Betty quick enough. How's the yield on your G.Nugget?

Yield is good. Loose open canopy on mine. Could be that is just mine and it grows tighter for other people. I have done tip pruning but no major pruning on it yet.

GN is an older Florida mango. Ugly Betty is new and probably the archives here are the only place you will find info on it. Do a search for "betty"

Broman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 10:14:04 AM »
The lady that helped my buddy pick out the Golden Nugget mango try to advertise the ugly Betty. But I went with the one I've been wanting 👍🏻

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 11:43:23 AM »
The lady that helped my buddy pick out the Golden Nugget mango try to advertise the ugly Betty. But I went with the one I've been wanting 👍🏻

My opinion is that she meant well but recommendations can be variable. Show up next week and she might have a different one. The breeders should have picked a different name for Ugly Betty. The name would deter me unless I really knew the low down on it

Broman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 12:21:47 PM »
She said it tasted like apple pie, I couldn't imagine it so I went with what I wanted lol
If I would have been there to taste it then maybe I would have got it. They were very nice and very helpful according to my buddy that went there. Home Depot/Lowes is the only option where I am in Melbourne unless you're paying an arm & leg in a tree store/nursery. I just wanted something different than the normal mangoes I normally eat.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 01:30:00 PM »
She said it tasted like apple pie, I couldn't imagine it so I went with what I wanted lol
If I would have been there to taste it then maybe I would have got it. They were very nice and very helpful according to my buddy that went there. Home Depot/Lowes is the only option where I am in Melbourne unless you're paying an arm & leg in a tree store/nursery. I just wanted something different than the normal mangoes I normally eat.

I sent you a PM private message about gold nugget mango

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 01:43:36 PM »

The Ugly Betty is a fantastic mango. It is unevenly shaped, but  the taste is great..I have a tree in the ground.. I got a 3 gallon from Jeff and planted it in 2013 july...i got 8 mangoes this year..

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 11:32:35 PM »
Broman - I have a gold nugget tree and I would say it's an fairly good grower.  THe only problem I had
with it, and it's only happened the first time it fruited, is that the mango's had a chalky taste.  Now I do
live in the California desert and my climate and soil type are different than yours....AND....this was it's
first year.....and I have heard good things about it...

So GOOD LUCK!

Gary

clannewton

• Brevard County, Melbourne , FL 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 01:50:13 AM »
/quote]
Rock ledge Gardens is more than reasonable compared to Lowes and HD and with many variety's that Lowes and HD can not match and is close to you location!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 07:10:29 AM »
Ugly Betty does not taste like apple pie.
- Rob

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2015, 04:45:05 PM »
40-33 is good.  C-12 is pretty good too.

Agreed on the c-12. I picked one up this weekend, just ate it, really good. The seed sprouted already though.
I might have waited a day to late, the outer flesh was firm and really sweet but the inner was a bit mushy. The flavor reminded me a bit of starbursts.

Anyone has any more info in this one? History?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk