Author Topic: Abiu trees  (Read 4763 times)

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
Abiu trees
« on: May 22, 2012, 09:32:25 AM »
We have a couple of real nice seedling abiu in 7-gallon size approx 6-7ft tall and some with flowers,the variety is unknown but will have them available for $75 each

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: Abiu trees
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 10:22:52 AM »
We have a couple of real nice seedling abiu in 7-gallon size approx 6-7ft tall and some with flowers,the variety is unknown but will have them available for $75 each

• In SouthFL what time of year will this tree produce fruit?
  • Plus being so large it will fruit next year?
thanks

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 10:29:58 AM »
They usually produce through the late summer for me,as far as what they will do next year your guess is a s good as mine,they have pushed some flowers now in pots so I would assume thats a good sign.

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 05:33:54 PM »
HAVE ONLY 2 LEFT!

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 05:42:37 PM »
I grow a couple of the them in large pots.  They are a bit cold sensitive and it is easier to protect them!  Mine are also 6 to 7 feet tall.  Some seedlings produce large amount of fruits.  Luck is the word for abiu seedlings! I may get some flowers soon, I hope!

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 05:48:51 PM »
I grow a couple of the them in large pots.  They are a bit cold sensitive and it is easier to protect them!  Mine are also 6 to 7 feet tall.  Some seedlings produce large amount of fruits.  Luck is the word for abiu seedlings! I may get some flowers soon, I hope!

Hi Berto :),
Hope you get flowers soon...Fingers crossed my friend :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 05:55:01 PM »
Obrigado!
I spoke with a guy in Brasil and he has an abiu that produces fruits that weight  1 kilo each.  That's the tree to have.  I may bug him for some seeds after I see what kind of fruit production I will get from my 2 seedlings.! 
How's the weather in beautiful Madeira?  I wish I had the time (meaning money) to visit Funchal again!  8)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 08:20:40 AM »
Obrigado!
I spoke with a guy in Brasil and he has an abiu that produces fruits that weight  1 kilo each.  That's the tree to have.  I may bug him for some seeds after I see what kind of fruit production I will get from my 2 seedlings.! 
How's the weather in beautiful Madeira?  I wish I had the time (meaning money) to visit Funchal again!  8)

Hi Berto :),
Wow :o 1 kg Abiu...now that's a keeper 8)
The weather's been fantastic. Ocassionally we get nice cool night's that's in Santo Antonio of course. In the Calheta the weather has been very hot and all the plant's are growing like crazy :) YIPPEE  ;D ;D ;D

Funchal will receive you with open arm when you visit ;) :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 12:31:55 PM »
Excellent! Can you imagine a 1 kg abiu ripe and ready to go?  Hum!
One day, I will show up after a pit stop in Ponta Delgada!
Thank you!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 02:19:22 AM »
Four or five local abiu types can exceed 1kg around here although 500g is more usual.It is always better to go for the richest and most complex flavoured ones.If you can get Z4,E4,GRAY,Z2, T25 or Inca Gold over there, they grow luscious sweet fruit from seeds and have 1 to 4 modest sized seeds per fruit.Most types have the caramel flavour but those with vanilla overtones and a higher brix are extra good.There are a few watery and bland ones around that are not worth propagating.