Author Topic: Need help with my Eureka Lemon tree..  (Read 969 times)

dunnyd

• northridge
    • View Profile
Need help with my Eureka Lemon tree..
« on: May 24, 2019, 02:29:04 PM »
So I picked this Eureka lemon tree from lowes about 5 weeks ago, First question is.. should i cut off all the small lemons on the tree to help more growth ? Id like to keep them on if possible..but ive heard i should take off first year plants.. but how do i know how old the plant is..

secondly.. in the 5 weeks that ive had the plant.. it doesnt seem like theres any new growth (except the small lemons.. those have grown a little).. same exact size still, no new branches..

Also on the 4th picture... is that outward/down curl of the leaf normal?

Thanks!

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with my Eureka Lemon tree..
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 02:50:27 PM »
Your tree looks fine.  Some leaf curl is normal.  According to research by Purdue University leaving one fruit on a small citrus tree will not affect the tree's growth.  This is because a citrus fruit does not draw energy from the whole tree, but draws all of it required energy for growth from only the three closest leaves to the fruit.  Otherwise remove all additional fruit on such a small tree. A container grown citrus tree should produce 2 or 3 growth flushes per year, if fertilized and grown properly.  You should not expect much growth after just 5 weeks.  Your tree looks healthy.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 03:20:30 PM by Millet »

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 03:00:28 PM »
What Millet said. At 5 weeks the tree is still adjusting to its new home. As a personal habit with trees this size I pull the fruit. It allows the nutrients produced by the tree to go to root production and tissue growth instead of fruit production. Next flush hou should see new growth. Some curl of leaves is normal...keep a eureka watered...

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 08:46:46 PM »
I agree also.  Leave one fruit so you can try it.  It looks healthy.  Give it time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk