Author Topic: Avocado Seedling - Variegated Leaves  (Read 1149 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Avocado Seedling - Variegated Leaves
« on: November 27, 2019, 05:34:11 PM »
Has anyone grown an avocado seedling with variegated leaves ?

This one just grew out from an unknown seedling.

It was suppose to be a red fruited avocado. I didn't think the leaves would have this color. The one next to it is from same source and the leaves are normal green color.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Re: Avocado Seedling - Variegated Leaves
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 12:42:12 PM »
https://californiaavocadocomments.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/branch-affected-by-sunblotch.jpg

Not likely but possible see above link on symptoms of sunblotch decease.  I would separate them and isolate it as much as possible. If not a disease you have yourself a new variegated avocado. Good luck.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 12:48:29 PM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 01:36:30 PM »
Interesting info on the leaf disease. I don't think this seedling has a disease. Will show more photos as the seedling grows if it keeps the variegation. I also noticed that this seedling has a slight red stem while the other one is normal dark color. Planted both seeds at the same time.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 03:59:31 PM »
Carlos, since you are the expert avocado grower, I have another question for you on different leaf colors of avocados.
Have you seen varieties with leaf color that is orange/red like this one. This is a seedling Hawaiian from a fruit I purchased over 15 yrs ago while on vacation. The fruit was different since the outside skin of the avocado was gold/yellow. You can see the 2 fruits next to the yellow papaya I purchased. The seedling has normal green fruit but some of the branches has this interesting orange/red color leaves.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 04:05:55 PM »
Carlos, since you are the expert avocado grower, I have another question for you on different leaf colors of avocados.
Have you seen varieties with leaf color that is orange/red like this one. This is a seedling Hawaiian from a fruit I purchased over 15 yrs ago while on vacation. The fruit was different since the outside skin of the avocado was gold/yellow. You can see the 2 fruits next to the yellow papaya I purchased. The seedling has normal green fruit but some of the branches has this interesting orange/red color leaves.

Yes I have seen it, not at strong as your pictures but some varieties start like that, some more than others. Eventually all turn green, would be unusual if yours stays that color.

Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 05:35:48 AM »
Thanks Carlos. Yes it does eventually turn to green as the branch grows more.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk