Author Topic: Campomanesia Species  (Read 15464 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Campomanesia Species
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 04:43:03 AM »
Oscar C.phaea is an intriguing species. There is little to give a good indication of how good the taste is.How would you rate it as a fresh fruit?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 05:01:50 AM »
Oscar C.phaea is an intriguing species. There is little to give a good indication of how good the taste is.How would you rate it as a fresh fruit?

I've only had it once a few years ago in Brazil. I remember i thought it was surprisingly good, especially given that i'd heard that it was not so great. It has a strong fruity taste, a bit tarty, but found it very pleasant.
Oscar

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 11:38:10 AM »
Oscar,

If you don't mind my asking, are these seeds from a local source there, in Hawaii?  I know you said you thought you had C. phaea growing, but that the fruit form turned out to be wrong.  Have you had any success identifying the species you're growing?

James
James

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2013, 12:30:11 AM »
Oscar,

If you don't mind my asking, are these seeds from a local source there, in Hawaii?  I know you said you thought you had C. phaea growing, but that the fruit form turned out to be wrong.  Have you had any success identifying the species you're growing?

James

James, haven't Id'ed that one yet. The one i'm selling is definitely C. phaea or i wouldn't sell it as such!
Oscar

emegar

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2013, 09:26:42 AM »
I didn't think you would.  I was just curious whether the C. phaea was being grown by one of your contacts there in HI.
James

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2013, 11:07:04 PM »
Have seeds available now of Campomanesia phaea, flying saucer fruit, or cambui. If interested please check my seed page: http://fruitlovers.com/seedlist.html
Sorry for double posting on 2 threads, but thought it's worthwhile as i don't usually have this one available. The seeds i have now are already starting to sprout, so best to order right away if you want them.

http://www.portalsaofrancisco.com.br/alfa/cambuci/cambuci-3.php

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0100-29452005000200014

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2013, 10:58:41 AM »

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2013, 12:21:55 PM »
Thanks for the video Luis (I would like to grow cambucí!);

I went out and took some photos to the campomanesia lineatifolia seedlings, they sprouted on may, and now 7 month later they are like this:

I had some problems with dry conditions into the house in winter (you can see the damaged leaves still on them), so when I puted them into minigreenhouses they got better and better, then took them out in spring and now are taking some sun when the summer is about to begin... but the most part of the day are in shade.

They say maybe this is the tastier of campomanesias, in Colombia they know it.

http://www.huertasurbanas.com/2013/05/21/articulo-sobre-la-chamba-en-diario-colombiano/

Out of 18 seeds, I think 16 or more germinated, 5 of which were already germinated in the envelope did not survive the planting (I dont know why!); of the remaining 11 I gave away 2 which I do not think they are alive, and here I have 5 that are ok and 1 is recovering slowly.

They tend to tangle when just germinate: the tangled generally do not survive ... if I had known, would have unraveled.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2014, 08:48:39 AM »
Hi everyone! Anyone have seeds of C. hirsuta and phaea? I'm interested to have them. Thank's! ;D

emegar

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2014, 09:18:14 AM »
Oscar sells C. phaea seeds in season.  That's where I bought them.
James

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2014, 09:30:34 AM »
Oscar sells C. phaea seeds in season.  That's where I bought them.
Thank's! I will contact him! ;)

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2019, 07:22:52 AM »
I'm a big fan of campomanesias also. Have some almost ready to taste. Hope i can beat the fruit flies to them.

I don't remember how the taste was on the Campomanesias I brought back from Brazil , I hope it is not just another Guava like taste .
Have several 3 to 4 meter plants , one flowered this year , fruit aborted... .
Lots of C. hirsuta  , 1 meter , still in nursery bags .
Gotta check the linneatifolia , they have to be somewhere around , I do remember...not the easiest to keep alive.

Hi Luc, i ate a bunch of campomanesia fruits today. Still not sure what species it is? Was labeled phaea, but obviously not that. Then i thought must be lineatifolia, but doesn't match photos on the web. Anyway, they are creamy and a bit tarty. Not gritty or seedy like guava, and no strong perfumed aroma like guava. There were a bunch of fallen fruits under the tree and they were all still in good shape.Other good news is there were no fruit fly larvae.

Hi Oscar, did you ever knew what species is it? maybe C. sessiflora?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2019, 05:16:30 PM »
I'm a big fan of campomanesias also. Have some almost ready to taste. Hope i can beat the fruit flies to them.

I don't remember how the taste was on the Campomanesias I brought back from Brazil , I hope it is not just another Guava like taste .
Have several 3 to 4 meter plants , one flowered this year , fruit aborted... .
Lots of C. hirsuta  , 1 meter , still in nursery bags .
Gotta check the linneatifolia , they have to be somewhere around , I do remember...not the easiest to keep alive.

Hi Luc, i ate a bunch of campomanesia fruits today. Still not sure what species it is? Was labeled phaea, but obviously not that. Then i thought must be lineatifolia, but doesn't match photos on the web. Anyway, they are creamy and a bit tarty. Not gritty or seedy like guava, and no strong perfumed aroma like guava. There were a bunch of fallen fruits under the tree and they were all still in good shape.Other good news is there were no fruit fly larvae.

Hi Oscar, did you ever knew what species is it? maybe C. sessiflora?
Marco Lacerda from Brazil visited me and told me that indeed it is C. phaea. He said there are different versions of phaea with different shaped fruits.
Oscar