Author Topic: Monster avocado  (Read 3761 times)

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
Monster avocado
« on: February 18, 2019, 10:01:14 PM »
I just picked that last two avocados off of a large tree. I believe it is a Choquette but the owner didn't know the cultivar but it is a grafted variety. I didn't realize Choquette hung this long and I really liked the quality of this fruit when I had them in the past.

60 oz!!!

-Josh

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
Re: Monster avocado
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 11:52:32 PM »
Queen avocadoes get even larger than that

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 01:15:58 AM »
Damn Josh, You only need 1 avocado that size for your guacamole and your done!
-Chris

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 07:51:06 AM »
I'm down to my last two Choquette on the tree, just south of you. The squirrel has keyed in on that last tree and brings down one or two every day otherwise we could probably go another few weeks. Earlier varieties especially Mexicola are in full bloom. Honestly, I never thought I'd say this but after eating avocados for six months I am ready for a break.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 11:09:48 AM »
Josh, man that is one huge avocado bowl of guacamole for sure 8) The only variety I've seen out here in Ca. is a Daily 11 which can get pretty big but mostly longer than the one in your pic!

GangstaRIB

• Clermont, FL | Central Florida Ridges and Uplands USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 07:00:00 PM »
Nice. How's the taste? I've had no luck with store bought WI avocados (or as well call them Florida avocados) but I imagine if you pick them at the right time they aren't the watercados we get from Publix.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 07:43:34 PM »
Looks kinda like a Marcus Pumpkin, but it’s awfully late for those.

What is that Diver Down drink in the background?  Never heard of it.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 09:32:05 PM »
I'll report back when I cut into it. They started picking them commercially at the end of September. It should be much better this late.
https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/FloridaAvocadoShippingSchedule.pdf

Nice. How's the taste? I've had no luck with store bought WI avocados (or as well call them Florida avocados) but I imagine if you pick them at the right time they aren't the watercados we get from Publix.

Looks kinda like a Marcus Pumpkin, but it’s awfully late for those.

What is that Diver Down drink in the background?  Never heard of it.

It is a red ale. 8% abv. Really nice.
-Josh

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 08:35:03 AM »
Well it might be a Marcus Pumpkin then. See if the seed is almost perfectly round.

I’ll have to look for that beer. Sounds good, thanks.
www.ableinspector.com

Bruce

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 08:34:58 PM »
Choquette  100%, Marcus Pumpkin is round november avocado. Marcus Pumpkin can crack the 5 lb mark

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 07:00:48 AM »
Marcus pumpkin is round but also has some slight ridging like a pumpkin.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 07:49:59 AM »
If you’re sure it’s choquette I’ll go with that. I thought I saw some slight ridging on it. I’m hoping to get my first Marcus this year as my tree has been in the ground almost 2 years.
www.ableinspector.com

Bruce

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 11:03:10 AM »
Picked a couple of Choquette (W.I. X Guat.) avocados last year.  Very large fruit, but figured it would be a "watercado".  Not so, it was a very good avocado ranking up with most.

BohicaBob

• East Central Florida, USA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 12:39:52 PM »
My uncle and aunt in Waipahu had a seedling avocado tree in their back yard. The fruit was of a different shape that this one and a bit heavier on average, some about 5 pounds in fact.  The shape was that of an elongated green gourd with a small seed at the bulbous end.  It was delicious.  I got a couple scions from a cousin last year but I was not successful in grafting them.

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2019, 04:33:30 PM »
My uncle and aunt in Waipahu had a seedling avocado tree in their back yard. The fruit was of a different shape that this one and a bit heavier on average, some about 5 pounds in fact.  The shape was that of an elongated green gourd with a small seed at the bulbous end.  It was delicious.  I got a couple scions from a cousin last year but I was not successful in grafting them.

Sounds like a Russell avocado from your description I just picked up a couple pieces of scion wood at our CRFG- scion exchange and had just looked it up! Supposed to be excellent taste and it's West Indian.
 https://myfolia.com/plants/115-avocado-persea-americana/varieties/129618-russell
http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/files/images/b20151105111527.jpg
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 04:37:30 PM by ScottR »

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2019, 04:38:17 PM »

Sounds like a winner. You should trial it here. We are still in avocado grafting season.
-Josh

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2019, 04:42:31 PM »

Day pushing
-Josh

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2019, 04:43:35 PM »
Here is another description;RUSSELL (W.I.)FL Originated Islamorado,FL from seed of fruit brought from Cuba by John Russel & planted near his home about1880. Top-worked by Harvey Fitzpatrick, Homestead, FL in 1935, shortly before parent tree was destroyed by a hurricane. Fruit: season, Aug.-Sept.; color, green; weight, 24-36 ozs.; shape, clavate; skin, smooth, leathery. Seed, med. Sometimes solid neck of flesh 5-6" long.(CAS Yearbook 1950) Orig. in Islamorado, FL by John Russell. Introd. in 1935. Seedling of West Ind. type from seed of fruit brought from Cuba about 1880. Fruit: large, 24-36 oz; often 12"long; clavate; skin green, smooth, leathery; flesh yellow; seed size med.; cavity low in the broad end of fruit, often a solid neck of flesh 5-6"long;season Aug.&Sept.Tree: vigorous; moderately productive. Flower group A. Not propagated commercially.(B&O Register) Origin, CA; Race, WI; Flower, A (Lahav & Gazit) (originated in Islamorada in FL Keys); pear-shaped at apex with long neck giving it a total length up to 13"(32.5cm); skin, smooth, glossy, thin, leathery; flesh of excellent quality; seed small. Season: Aug.&Sept.Tree bears well & is recommended for home gardens. (J Morton)

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2019, 04:45:40 PM »
Josh, what are all the varieties you've grafted there besides Day avocado?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2019, 08:52:45 PM »
Picked a couple of Choquette (W.I. X Guat.) avocados last year.  Very large fruit, but figured it would be a "watercado".  Not so, it was a very good avocado ranking up with most.

I wish some more people out there would try some of the better Florida cultivars, because quite a few of them crush that stereotype.

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2019, 09:51:16 AM »

I wish some more people out there would try some of the better Florida cultivars, because quite a few of them crush that stereotype.

Absolutely. I even met a guy that was managing an Arue grove, I think he worked for Brooks Tropicals, that was saying how good an Arue can be if left on the tree long enough to reach it's full potential. For those that don't know, Arue is the earliest commercial "Slimcado" variety that can be picked here in Florida and is notoriously low eating quality. I don't know how true that is but it was a funny story. So much diversity and so many people are in the Hass or nothing camp.

Check out this one I found in Costa Rica. Unfortunately it got lost in the fruit hoard and I didn't get to taste it. A packinghouse's worst nightmare.

Josh, what are all the varieties you've grafted there besides Day avocado?

The other ones are Wilson Popenoe (giant gourd looking fruit), a seedling tree that is supposed to be excellent and Choquette from the tree I picked that giant fruit from. I grafted it before I was ID'd what variety it was. My few avocado rootstocks are precious right now to expand my collection and I already have that in ground here. It will be easy to sell off though.
-Josh